We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Safety Concerns regarding Rue Full Spectrum Extract reduction with Zinc Options

ShadedSelf
#1 Posted : 5/24/2022 1:18:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was thinking about doing a zinc reduction on full spectrum rue extract, skipping manske and separation steps, mainly for convenience.

Seems like with harmine/harmaline mix only the harmaline gets reduced, but I havent found any info regarding the reduction with full expectrum extracts.

Could there be any potentially toxic side products created from the presence of all this other alkaloids?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Jees
#2 Posted : 5/24/2022 2:26:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi,

you can do that without worries but I suggest then to also do no separation right after the reduction act. You probably won't separate at all but for the record here is a consideration for those who might like a separation afterwards a reduction:

Still valid for you ShadeSelf: After reduction and the filtering the remaining hard zinc out, then base high to get all alkaloids at once, this keeps the side-effect-formed zinc-salts in solution at this higher pH. Filtering the freebase alkaloids out and poring all liquid away rids you from the zinc salts. Wash you alkaloids with a slight ammonia or sodiumcarbonated water.

If however one chooses to perform a separation act right after reduction (after filtering remaining hard zinc out of course), then as the harmine drops out, this will happen at the same pH levels where the zinc salts drop out too, the pH is then not high enough for the zinc salts to go into solution again. One would harvest a harmine + zinc salts combo.

If a separation is aimed for after reduction, then one better go in 2 stages:
* as said: base high enough to get all alkaloids together, the zinc salts will be in solution at this high pH (say 11 or about) so filtering at this stage will rid you of the liquid-state zinc salts. Wash your alkaloids.
* Then re-dissolve the freebase alkaloids again in an acidy water and perform a pH driven separation act between harmine and THH. This separation will be easier since the 'distance' between harmine-THH is somewhat bigger than harmine-harmaline.

Happy trials!

murklan
#3 Posted : 5/24/2022 9:54:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes I find this interesting too. I've never used zinc rediction but a magnesium one on full spectrum (and recently on a separated rue extract). I don't know if/how Zn and Mg differs but there were some concerns regarding harmine in the Mg reduction. I got some stick brown things... But I will now try what downwardsfromzero suggested in this tread using phosphate to separete out the Mg.

ShadedSelf
#4 Posted : 5/25/2022 12:25:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you Jees.

Interesting, that thread you linked actually links to another post with a report from someone reducing full spectrum rue extract with zinc with good results.
And at the same time Ive found this same concerns in there which seem to come from the VDS thread and are summarized in this post.

Doesnt sound very conclusive, but I guess manske and separation seem necessary if you want to stay on the safe side for now.

Jees
#5 Posted : 5/26/2022 12:27:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for the links, I didn't realize there was a speculative affection of harmine during the reduction, must have missed that. I haven't reduced non-separated rue myself so far.

Jees
#6 Posted : 5/29/2022 5:57:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ava69 wrote:
...Be-ware cheap China made THH as a handful of people have reported it glowing green and not blue, harmaline contamination, incomplete synthesis. I recommend making your own or quality sources...
Noted, thanks.
There's also the potential roll back from THH to harmaline over time, gradually. I don't know if this is always a thing or just a storing sensitive issue. I had one year old thh that started out 100% tasteless and became eventually harmaline bitter again. Though the crystals were still thh-bolder type, some musta rolled back. Some others found roll back too.