We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Acacia Dealbata bark Extraction Options

_Trip_
#1 Posted : 4/18/2021 6:35:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi Nexians,
Finally found a spot to post this as a new member, so I hope it is in the right sub forum.

To save people reading the whole post the extraction on mature and young bark was a negative.

Tried to search the Nexus forum for Dealbata results and found nothing formal. A few members stated they had tried a Dealbata extraction but nothing more than a sentence or two long with no detail or context. I did however find topic of members who had translated a published German journal article which had extracted alkaloids from Acacia Dealbata. A member named werver translated it and stated "green parts (stems, phylloides and branch tips) and flowers" were tested and found .02% alkaloids (but no break down of an analysis of what alkaloids).

Dealbata may have already been looked at by other members but I found no posts so to add to the collective knowledge I thought I would share my experience with it. As a side note this is not my first extraction. I am familiar with working with A. Acuminata.

After sifting through a lot of posts and finding the translated article I started think perhaps there may be higher levels of alkaloids in the Bark. Despite the fact Silver wattle (Dealbata) is a invasive species, I made sure to only use bark from dying mature trees (from which is was falling off) and fresh branches from other younger Silver wattles which had been recently damaged or broken.

Results:
130grams of bark from mature trees and 130grams of bark from younger trees were air dried and then powderized.

Both batches where cooked separately with 2x acid cooks for half an hour. Acid of choice was food safe phosphoric acid. PH 2-3.
There was no particular reason phosphoric acid was used. IME with acacia final yields go unchanged between phosphoric acid, vinegar or hydrochloric acid. (However if someone has an opposing view to this in regards to Acuminata please message me.)

The bark was then left in the acid solution overnight.

The more mature bark batch was salted. Again no particular reason except with previous experience using Acuminata, Acuminata contains a bit of plant lipids and can cause emulsion issues when shaken. I have found varying results in terms of yields with back salting and not back salting Acuminata. However if one chooses to salt Acuminata emulsion becomes less of an issue. (Again if someone has another view to this in regards to Acuminata please message me would like to discuss it further.)

So, as I did not know the lipid content of Dealbata I chose to back salt one of the two batches to see if it would make a difference with emulsion.
No significant difference was observed.

Both batches were based with lye and left overnight. PH 13-14.

Naphtha was used for the pulls and sat over night in the based solution (this was shaken/ mixed every time it was walked past).

The Naphtha was separated and both batches underwent evaporation for reduction and then freeze precipitate for 48hours.

As this was a test no washes were preformed.

Nil by results observed after 48 hours.

Both batches were then evaporated completely.

A couple tiny alkaloids were present but could have been anything including contamination, a small trace of white oil residue was left behind. Nothing smelt of DMT. It was a unique smell smelt almost like a chemical like smell. As I firmly believe in safety I did not deem it worth testing.

Bottom line: neither batch produced any DMT via freeze participate nor did the evaporation smell of DMT.
What smell was left behind was stronger in the mature bark meaning whatever was in the pull was likely of higher percentage in the mature bark.

Limitations of this 'basement' extraction:
Trees were harvested in Autumn.
Root Bark is yet to be tested.

Note: Multiple trees where used.

It is looking less and less likely Dealbata would be worth the effort in future.

Disclaimer: All my posts are of total fiction.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 4/18/2021 9:56:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks a lot for sharing!

I've seen a lot of A. dealbata growing around, but never got around to properly extracting, only a small inconclusive test with TLC long ago..

At some point I'll try doing a propper GC-MS test on a mature tree but this might take a while. If I do, I'll post...

So yeah, thanks again, it's very important that people like you out there are pushing the boundaries of our knowledge doing unique tests and sharing with the community Smile

_Trip_
#3 Posted : 4/18/2021 11:38:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Endlessness, yeah that would be interesting.

I'm contemplating doing a root bark extraction, I feel the results wont differ, still worth trying though just so we know.

I'll post back on this thread if I do.

I have access to what I believe is A. Retinodes as well. Although very little on here has been reported it shows great promise. But for sustainability reasons it would only be a leaf and twig extraction and I would not preform an extraction until I have confirmation on the identification.

Australia is home to something like 900 of the 1200 Acacia species and as we know some have been found to be active. So it doesn't hurt to do the odd extraction here and there.

Having said that and although I have yet to start researching, I wouldn't mind looking into other species unique to the country such as Eucalyptus, Callistemons or even Adenanthos to name a few. I'm sure many species have been looked into by the science community (there may be the odd journal article here and there) but I'd wager many have not. May be worth researching in my spare time.

I know Adenanthos has been found to contain alkaloids for example but there is no study on what they are as far as what i have read.

Quetzal7
#4 Posted : 4/21/2021 8:15:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing this ! i got about 2ha of A.Dealbata on my land ; this is a nice confirmation of what i supposed to be true. The bark from the roots would be difficult to access too , but i got some really sandy soft soil on some part of the land.
To give an idea; what's the %alk on Mimosa hostilis "not root" bark ? does it has any, or is it really just the rootbark that got the magic?
I'm cutting 100 of these trees everyweek to feed my hungry woodchipper....

_Trip_
#5 Posted : 4/23/2021 6:16:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think Hostilis stem bark is about .03% meaning there is still hope for A. Dealbata but it is looking unlikely at this stage. Still worth investigating a Dealbata root bark extraction.

Moonman
#6 Posted : 5/20/2022 10:12:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello everyone I’m new on site, first of all thanks for add me!! I’m on the same situation. I did 2 extraction with acacias dealbata ( silver wattle ) and After naphtha pull and freeze precipitation I ended up with white crystals wich looks just like ice to me but even doing re-x it always melt. So I dunno what’s going on I’m a bit confused what’s the stuff precipitated. Cheers

_Trip_
#7 Posted : 5/21/2022 12:41:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You'd have to get it tested to know for sure. I pulled some oil, very very small yield nothing like dmt.
Root bark was never tested though.

Dod you test rootbark?