We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cacti ID help Options

DesertWasabi
#1 Posted : 4/28/2022 9:58:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Since I cannot write anywhere else for this question, will just write here Smile

Could somebody help me ID this weird blueish guy with purple spines?

Havent seen this one in the area before, and the body remins the usual Echinopsis/Trichocereus type.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

_Trip_
#2 Posted : 4/28/2022 10:22:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Myrtillocactus geometrizans 

It'll give delicious berries. Not active.
Disclaimer: All my posts are of total fiction.

DesertWasabi
#3 Posted : 4/28/2022 10:36:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks! Will wait for those berries Very happy.

And this one?

Looks like pachanoi, but a bit weird, has a different color (more saturated/dark green) and slightly different form of ribs to the ones I already have.

_Trip_
#4 Posted : 4/28/2022 10:51:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Trichocereus Pachanoi by that photo.

It could be a scoplicola/ pachanoi hybrid. I'd be more inclined to say pachanoi.
Disclaimer: All my posts are of total fiction.

DesertWasabi
#5 Posted : 4/28/2022 11:54:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Big grin Big grin Big grin Nice!
Thanks!

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 4/29/2022 10:45:16 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

There are some columnar Echinocereus species that are glossy like that but yours looks as though it has some mechanical damage so maybe it's glossy from rubbing against packaging or overhanging leaves or something? But the small white areoles also look like those on a couple of my columnar Echinocereus which makes me interested to see how it might look after having grown several inches. The main thing being it's way glossier than your usual Trichocereus therefore clearing up any backstory on that would be most helpful.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

#7 Posted : 4/30/2022 12:02:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

DesertWasabi wrote:
Since I cannot write anywhere else for this question, will just write here Smile

Could somebody help me ID this weird blueish guy with purple spines?

Havent seen this one in the area before, and the body remins the usual Echinopsis/Trichocereus type.

I'm not sure on the id, though those are really beautiful. Thumbs up

DesertWasabi
#8 Posted : 5/4/2022 8:00:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
There are some columnar Echinocereus species that are glossy like that but yours looks as though it has some mechanical damage so maybe it's glossy from rubbing against packaging or overhanging leaves or something? But the small white areoles also look like those on a couple of my columnar Echinocereus which makes me interested to see how it might look after having grown several inches. The main thing being it's way glossier than your usual Trichocereus therefore clearing up any backstory on that would be most helpful.

Nope, haven´t cleaned it with anything (although can´t say anything about the previous owner), and it only has some little old scar in one of the arms. As to the species, i was told that it was a Bolivian Echinocereus, and I was expecting it to be a Brigesii when I unpacked it, I even checked if the spines were cut but found out that they were just really small (a couple mm), so I decided to ask here fearing that it would be some PC variant.

After searching around I found this https://trichocereus.net...ereus-pachanoi-bolivia/. Which shows some pictures of similarly glossy cacti. So its probably some Pachanoi cousin from the Southern Andes that isnt catalogued as a separate specie/variant yet.

Will probably have to wait for it to grow a bit to try out how potent it is, because I haven´t found anything related to them.

downwardsfromzero
#9 Posted : 5/7/2022 5:49:45 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Desert Wasabi wrote:
As to the species, i was told that it was a Bolivian Echinocereus

Is this a typo? Or were you really told that it was an Echinocereus? The bridgesii which you're likely to be interested in would be Trichocereus bridgesii, also known as Echinopsis lageniformis - not to be confused with Echinopsis bridgesii which is a different species.

A true(?) Echinocereus bridgesii is a very different-looking plant compared to the one which you have:

but given the dearth of information on this binomial it appears to be a bunch of misattributions of a nomen nudum.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

DesertWasabi
#10 Posted : 5/12/2022 4:02:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah was a mispell lol I meant either Trichocereus or Echinopsis Laughing Was almost sleeping when I wrote that.

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 5/17/2022 11:08:10 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Here's the Echinocereus I was thinking of: https://llifle.com/Encyc...670/Echinocereus_gentryi