We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV5455565758NEXT»
Ethyl acetate approach [CIELO] Options

orchidist
#1101 Posted : 3/7/2022 3:22:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was just rereading the thread and pretty much immediately stumbled upon this. Shroombee was getting oily results when using cold solvent during the early stages of refining the tek.

shroombee wrote:

Quote:
So, your dish got cloudy, but no crystals formed, right? That's too bad. Yeah you can definetly throw it in the freezer directly. The fridge -> freezer sequence is just to understand what happens at different temps. Also, bigger xtals form when the temp is lowered gradually, but that is not very important now.

Right, cloudy but no crystals formed. I'm throwing it in the freezer. I tipped the dish and now realize there is an oily substance dotted across the bottom. Earlier, it didn't seem to move when I scraped at it through the solvent with a knife (and seeing some oil droplets on the surface), leading me to believe it was an illusion. But it's real. It's not water. I put a little on white paper to confirm its oily.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Cheelin
#1102 Posted : 3/7/2022 4:04:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

orchidist wrote:
cheelin wrote:

Low/inconsistent temp could be the issue. But, not sure about using the term ā€˜super saturationā€™ in this case. Super-Saturation generally occurs at high temps. But whatever, there is some crystallization issue going on, given that your goo is testing positive for M.

Saturation is defined as the concentration of a solute in solution when it is in equilibrium with the solid form of the solute. Any concentration above that is supersaturated. You can get to supersaturation by saturating at one temperature, then change the temperature to one where the compound is less soluble, or by other means such as generating a large amount of the solute via chemical reaction. Either way you get there, the system moves toward equilibrium by precipitating the solute.

One thing I would like to try as I work more with this is to see if M-citrate dissolves in warm/hot EA. If it does, that may be a convenient way to clean up oily product.

Iā€™ll defer to the textbook re: ā€œsuper saturationā€.

I donā€™t think the M citrate will dissolve in EA without basing it, heat or not.

orchidist
#1103 Posted : 3/7/2022 5:41:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Completed pulls this morning with 35 grams, the remainder of my peruvian torch powder.

During extraction, I recorded the ambient temperature, relative humidity, and temperature of the solvent immediately before adding it to the paste.

Ambient temperature: Average 68.3F | Min 68 | Max 70
Solvent temperature: Average 67F | Min 66 | Max 70
Humidity%: Average 54.6% | Min 54% | Max 56%

I do believe the discrepancy is due to offset from one or the other from the actual value, as the probe disagreed with the ambient temperature sensor by a constant amount by 2F on the majority of the measurements. I'm inclined to believe the probe I used to check the solvent is the one that's inaccurate, as it's meant to be a candy/meat thermometer.

The combined pulls have been dried and filtered, and split into two portions:

Portion 1: 2/3 of the solvent, will be salted with citric acid the usual way
Portion 2: 1/3 of the solvent, fumaric acid

The solvent is now hanging out in my bedroom, where it's a nice 72F, and in a few hours, when I'm sure it's in equilibrium, I will salt both.

To salt the entire quantity of solvent for this amount would call for 1.75g of citric acid, so the split would be

Portion 1:

CA Dose = 2/3 * 1.75g
CA Dose = 1.17g

Portion 2:

Scaling factor = 116.072 (FA Molar Mass) / 192.073 (CA Molar Mass)
Scaling factor = 0.6

FA Dose = 1/3 * 1.75g * 0.6
FA Dose = 0.35g

Does that look right?

orchidist
#1104 Posted : 3/7/2022 7:39:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fumarate is crystallizing! YES!!!!
orchidist attached the following image(s):
fumaric.png (289kb) downloaded 167 time(s).

Cheelin
#1105 Posted : 3/7/2022 7:43:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

orchidist wrote:
Fumarate is crystallizing! YES!!!!

Sweetness!

orchidist
#1106 Posted : 3/8/2022 3:24:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My fumarate test has been crystal clear for a few hours now, revealing GORGEOUS crystals, looks like a few inch long needles and a lot of finer ones, maybe some undissolved fumaric acid in there as well, but not sure. Wow, that was fast!

No crystallization to report in the citric acid salted jar so far. I thought I saw what I thought was the beginning of oiling out, but over the last few hours, it hasn't progressed to anything oily I recognize from previous runs, so I think I might just be hypervigilant, and it's just defects in the glass I'm seeing. There are two layers, a cloudy top layer and cloudier bottom layer. Hoping that it will spontaneously nucleate crystals at some point overnight. I'm guessing this is the delayed crystallization that Loveall mentioned when using drying agents.

That said, I am EXTREMELY happy with the results from fumaric acid. Will decant, take photos and weigh them tomorrow.
fumaric_clear.png (1,544kb) downloaded 158 time(s).

Cheelin
#1107 Posted : 3/8/2022 3:56:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You need a cigar, daddy!

Congrats, finally!

Loveall
#1108 Posted : 3/8/2022 4:15:57 AM

ā¤ļøā€🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

orchidist, Congratulations on the fumarate Xtals. You can swirl at the end to make sure all the Fumaric acid was dissolved in EA. If you still get oil with citric acid it would be a very interesting result, maybe pointing to your cactus having other alkaloids besides mescaline. Keep us posted. Thanks!
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

orchidist
#1109 Posted : 3/8/2022 5:10:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks! I am so incredibly happy to have a positive result finally. Not that it hasn't been fun the whole time.

No cigar for me, but I did make myself a really nice snack! Toasted some nice bread, lemon marmalade I made from homegrown lemons sent by a friend, olive oil, salt, pepper, chili, fresh thyme.

Now, need to figure out some time when my partner and I can take a trip out to our favorite cabin and try what I made today. That's gonna be the hard part. I don't like tripping anywhere near the suburbs, but scheduling vacations isn't easy these days.

Getting oil again definitely would be interesting, but I sure hope we have an actual pattern established to contribute something of value to the wiki. At this point in other runs, I would have already seen lots of small iridescent droplets on the bottom 1/4" of the jar, so I'm hopeful crystals will eventually nucleate. Would be nice if I had a seed crystal of M-citrate to drop in...maybe soon

I did another extraction this evening (went for the full 100g scale this time) and set aside a few 50 mL portions to try to tick off at least some of the following questions. I'll figure out which I can do with the portions I made and salt accordingly, then salt the main batch.

Does the absence of water in the solvent inhibit crystallization of the citrate? (This seems pretty well established, but replication is always good)
Does fumaric acid crystallize reliably in cold EA?
Does fumaric acid crystallize as quickly/as well with or without a drying step in the process?

Cheelin
#1110 Posted : 3/8/2022 1:39:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Running out of popcorn here, whatā€™s the word on the citrate jar?

Btw, in case you havenā€™t seen this suggestion, post #10: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...;t=98979&find=unread

orchidist
#1111 Posted : 3/8/2022 3:05:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cheelin wrote:

Btw, in case you havenā€™t seen this suggestion, post #10: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...;t=98979&find=unread

Better get yourself some more, this movie is gonna drag on Laughing

No oil, no crystals. Just a bilayer. If there's no change by the end of the day I may try scratching the bottom of the jar with a stir rod a-la kick-starting recrystallization.

I fumarate salted two portions of my last extraction, one dried and one not, and left in the cold room, which was 64F at the time of salting, 59F when I checked this morning.

Both jars crystallized very well, but the crystals in the dried solvent developed much more quickly, and are, by my estimates, more than double the size of the ones in the un-dried solvent. Will take pics later.

In regards to that post, the thought of citric acid addition rate being a factor in oiling out has definitely crossed my mind. I have some thoughts but I'm going to try to organize those in a post later on today

Edit: fixed typo.
citric_bilayer.png (513kb) downloaded 152 time(s).

Loveall
#1112 Posted : 3/8/2022 4:03:19 PM

ā¤ļøā€🔥

Quote:
Both jars crystallized very well, but the crystals in the dried solvent developed much more quickly, and are, by my estimates, more than double the size of the ones in the dried solvent. Will take pics later.

Did you mean undried solvent?

orchidist
#1113 Posted : 3/8/2022 4:09:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Loveall wrote:
Quote:
Both jars crystallized very well, but the crystals in the dried solvent developed much more quickly, and are, by my estimates, more than double the size of the ones in the dried solvent. Will take pics later.

Did you mean undried solvent?

Yes, sorry about that. I edited it to correct

Cheelin
#1114 Posted : 3/8/2022 4:16:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

orchidist wrote:
Cheelin wrote:

Better get yourself some more, this movie is gonna drag on Laughing

No oil, no crystals. Just a bilayer. If there's no change by the end of the day I may try scratching the bottom of the jar with a stir rod a-la kick-starting recrystallization.

I fumarate salted two portions of my last extraction, one dried and one not, and left in the cold room, which was 64F at the time of salting, 59F when I checked this morning.

Both jars crystallized very well, but the crystals in the dried solvent developed much more quickly, and are, by my estimates, more than double the size of the ones in the un-dried solvent. Will take pics later.

In regards to that post, the thought of citric acid addition rate being a factor in oiling out has definitely crossed my mind. I have some thoughts but I'm going to try to organize those in a post later on today

Edit: fixed typo.

How about dropping an M fumerate seed crystal?

orchidist
#1115 Posted : 3/8/2022 5:38:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tilted the jar and a bunch of oil collected at the bottom. Weird! It progressed differently at the higher temperature, at least visually. Guess that's probably due to the oil's lower viscosity at this temperature, allowing it to collect at the bottom instead of remaining in small droplets on the sides of the jar.

I've gotten oil with two (ostensibly) independent sources of material. Both are very different in color, so I'm fairly confident they're different sources. May still be an issue of interfering minor alkaloids. Fumaric acid worked wonderfully with both, so maybe it is more selective.

I haven't tried extracting the third sample of powder [EDIT] yet, so there's still that to try.

It does appear, at least, that the oil, when collected into a puddle like this, appears colorless. When it formed cold, it always had some amount of brown tint to it.
citric_oil.png (644kb) downloaded 153 time(s).

Loveall
#1116 Posted : 3/8/2022 6:23:45 PM

ā¤ļøā€🔥

Interesting.

Are you sure nothing is wrong with your Millard's citric acid? You can dissolve a whole bunch in water, make sure it contains no oils. Or you could get a fresh source of citric and try again on a small pull sample.

Fumaric may be ignoring any extra alkaloids, or it may be crashing them as xtals along with any mescaline present. You can:

1) Try mini a CIELO process with citric acid on your fumarate product (if you get xtals we can say fumaric kept something in solution)
2) Send out your fumarate product out for analysis. If you get mescaline only we could say something is likely wrong with your citric acid. If you have other alkaloids besides mescaline in your fumarate product, it would be a new discovery.

orchidist
#1117 Posted : 3/8/2022 6:51:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Loveall wrote:

Are you sure nothing is wrong with your Millard's citric acid? You can dissolve a whole bunch in water, make sure it contains no oils. Or you could get a fresh source of citric and try again on a small pull sample.

I will try that test. I did purchase a new packet about a week ago under suspicion that my old packet of milliard's might be at fault.

Loveall wrote:

Fumaric may be ignoring any extra alkaloids, or it may be crashing them as xtals along with any mescaline present. You can:

1) Try mini a CIELO process with citric acid on your fumarate product (if you get xtals we can say fumaric kept something in solution)

I was previously unable to crystallize the results of a second A/B on my citrate oil. I do think that lends credence to the secondary alkaloid hypothesis, so I'm on board with attempting to convert some fumarate to citrate.

I think if I repeated my A/B process using the fumarate as the starting material instead of the oil, it would have less risk of re-introducing secondary alkaloids than if I brought more raw material into the mix via CIELO. I've got the equipment to do that pretty easily in an evening.

Loveall wrote:

2) Send out your fumarate product out for analysis. If you get mescaline only we could say something is likely wrong with your citric acid. If you have other alkaloids besides mescaline in your fumarate product, it would be a new discovery.

Depending on cost, and results of (1), I might send both products, oil and fumarate crystals for analysis.

orchidist
#1118 Posted : 3/9/2022 1:40:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Another possible test would be to take the used solvent from crystallizing the fumarate, then add citric acid to it, to see if anything else crashes out. If it does, I could compare them with TLC and reagents, and send that for analysis.

Will probably split the solvent in two portions and wash one portion of the solvent with sat. Na2CO3 to remove any lingering fumaric acid in solution before introducing citric.

Cheelin
#1119 Posted : 3/9/2022 3:35:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe this is better for Loveall, but why wouldnā€™t you, as I mentioned earlier, drop an M-fumerate crystal into the citric jar and see if that drives crystallization?

orchidist
#1120 Posted : 3/9/2022 4:49:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cheelin wrote:
Maybe this is better for Loveall, but why wouldnā€™t you, as I mentioned earlier, drop an M-fumerate crystal into the citric jar and see if that drives crystallization?

Sorry, I meant to reply to that but I got scattered. I do think it's a good idea, and I tried it, but unfortunately it had no effect on the already oiled jar. I have one more portion of unsalted extract set aside. I wonder if I adding a couple seed crystals at the very start might help.

I'm going to hold off on that while I work on explore whether I can crystallize by converting the fumarate to the citrate. I was hoping to hold off on more citrate experiments until I could get results from Solaris, but it looks like they're not accepting new samples until at least July. I requested to be put on their mailing list, if they maintain one.

Do we know of any alternatives to Solaris?

«PREV5455565758NEXT»