We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Looking for Yocan pen advice Options

unclebob
#1 Posted : 12/7/2021 2:41:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am relaying to you a message from my uncle Bob, who is definitely not me:

Hello friends,

I hope some of you can help me out with some advice. I have traveled the DMT realms a few times in recent months, always grazing at sub-break-through levels. I am a solo traveler, so I stick to launch devices that work without an exposed flame or exposed heating elements. My device of choice so far is the Yocan Evolve Plus XL vape pen.

My first true success was with the Yocan, and I have achieved a decent lift-off every time. However, I fail to reach escape velocity. This may or may not be an issue with the device, but I think it has to do with my technique.

So I am reaching out to those of you who have had success with this device and maybe can point me to what I am doing wrong.

Here’s what I do. I use the ceramic donut coil instead of the standard quad coil. I load the coil with 40 – 50 mg of DMT freebase crystals. At 40 mg, the coil is maybe 70% full.
I try to pre-melt the DMT by pulsing the button, maybe ½ second on ½ second off. This works perfectly for 20 mg, but for 40+ mg, I run into some issues. Sometimes, the crystals further down in the coil melt, forming a cavity, while the DMT crystals on the top don’t move. I then flick the coil with my fingers to get the DMT to move downwards. It takes a while for 40 mg of DMT crystals to melt, and I wonder if some of the liquid DMT drains out of the coil and into the air intake canal.

I also wonder if it makes sense to push the crystals down into the coil using a toothpick or something. Maybe it makes sense to compact the DMT instead of pre-melting it? What is the risk of liquid DMT draining out of the coil?

I press the button for around 1 to 2 seconds before I start inhaling. I then keep the button pressed for maybe 5 or 6 seconds while pulling in air. I release the button and keep pulling for maybe another second or two.

The last time I traveled, I took three hits from a pen that was loaded with 48 mg. The hits were maybe 30 seconds apart. The first hit gave me an intense body buzz, but no OEV. The second hit produced some minor visual distortions, but no shapes or patterns. The third hit then produces some patterns. At that point, I closed my eyes and let the DMT carry me away.
After landing back on earth, I wondered how much spice is still left in the pen. So, to test that, I took another couple of hits, and it turns out there was still enough in there for another lift off. The second run was not as deep as the first one, but still significant.
The pen was pretty much empty after that. So maybe the first trip was a total of 25 mg and the second 20 mg, just guessing. If that was so, then it appears that one toke from the pen delivers around 10 mg of spice.

Any advice welcome. If I get this to work reliably, I will definitely take the time and write up a detailed Yocan pen guide and post it.

Love

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

bismillah
#2 Posted : 12/7/2021 3:34:51 AM

My Personalized Tag

I have never managed to go alll the way with the Yocan pen, and I used it a fair bit. It never seems to get everything at once and it's easy to burn (it's also easy not like to burn but it's a fine line). Many times I loaded it once... and could take puffs for another hour from the residue.

I think if you're doing high doses you should add syrian rue or caapi to take you over the edge.

ofc I take every opportunity to declare teas as my favourite roa but not everybody wants to deal with the body load and duration.
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

unclebob
#3 Posted : 12/8/2021 3:35:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your response. I’ve never managed to burn any spice, but I think that’s because I use the ceramic coil which does not get too hot. The standard quad coil seems to be more prone to burning, but I’ve read several reports from folks who say the quad coil works for them.

I see them same residue effect that you describe – I sometimes get up to six small tokes out of a single load. Sometimes it’s only two. What’s baffling me is that there seem to be people who manage to vaporize larger amounts of DMT in a single hit with this pen, so maybe it is technique.

I will give the Yocan a few more attempts and try a few things. If I can’t figure it out, I will probably try the Divine Tribe V4 Crucible next.

I do have some Caapi, and I will definitely add that to the experience at some point. However, I want to make sure I have my technique developed first.

It may take some time for me before I try DMT again, but I will definitely report back if I figure out how to use the Yocan pen properly.

Love

Dirty T
#4 Posted : 12/8/2021 4:12:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My Yocan Falcon just wasted DMT and burnt coils. The coil is full of DMT right now. Last time I loaded 60mg and got maybe 12 of that and 48 lost to the coil. Ive been using carts since

unclebob
#5 Posted : 12/9/2021 5:43:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I just took a closer look at the Falcon, and I can see you could end up with DMT all over the coil in places where you don’t want it. It looks like the Evolve coils are less susceptible to losing DMT, but even for these you could have liquid DMT run out of the bottom if you mess up the timing.

Here are some thoughts and observations.

First, the Yocan batteries certainly don’t do any temperature control. The Evolve Plus has no settings at all. This means that the temp will drop as soon as the air starts to flow. I strongly suspect that’s why I am not getting much spice per hit.

I see two ways to address this, and I have tried neither of them. First, keep the button pressed for longer than just 1 or 2 seconds before starting to inhale. The idea is build up some vapor before starting to pull. The risk here is obviously that the spice may burn, and it may take some experimentation to work out the ideal timing. Second, one could stutter the pull. Just interrupt the pull for maybe a second while keeping the button pressed. Maybe a combination of both will do the trick. There is almost certainly a relationship between the amount of DMT loaded and the ideal timing.

I will probably try it this month, but I’m not sure. I will post any findings that might be helpful to the community.

Love

Dirty T
#6 Posted : 12/11/2021 5:46:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I tried the Falcon a half dozen times before shelving it. My wife broke through with it but I could not. She is also a bit sensitive to tryptamines so I'm not surprised it worked for her and not me. My overall experience is it's wasteful and there are a lot better options. My buddy is giving me a finger banger setup. I think I'm going to pick up a seahorse ad well when I get a chance, money is tight this month.

sbios
#7 Posted : 12/27/2021 8:15:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I had tried to use Yocan vape pen with donut coil some years ago, but then I noticed the melted spice would leak to the bottom. So there was a lot of spice lost and just didn't vaporize.

I'd suggest make a bit of proper investments if you can to get vape device that's intended for wax/shatter, which has a cup-like container sitting on top of the heating coil. With a proper vape you can also adjust the temp and wattage...etc. Then you can literally have guaranteed experience within two inhales.

There are at least couple threads about using vape device you can find in the forum. Thumbs up

unclebob
#8 Posted : 2/19/2022 4:36:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your comment, you probably saved me from wasting time and effort with the Yocan Evolve pen. For me, the Yocan was what I used for my very first DMT experience, and maybe that’s what I really wanted it to work. The liquid DMT leaking through the bottom of the coil is really what prevents this thing from doing well with doses above 10 milligrams or so. With a small dose, one can just press the button for a moment before starting a very slow toke and that kind of works.

I have since invested in some equipment, and I am planning to write up a comparison and post it here within the next month or so. I’ve got an E-mesh setup, a DTV4, and a Firefly 2+. The Firefly is primarily my salvia device, but it works for DMT too when used in combination with concentrate pads.

Love