We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
5-MeO-MALT Reactivations? Options

5-CNT-FAI
#1 Posted : 11/21/2021 12:36:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

My partner is concerned about reactivations with 5-MeO-DMT, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with 5-MeO-MALT and whether or not you’ve found that it causes reactivations and to what intensity if so?

Cheers!
We are but the waves of one sea.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 11/21/2021 8:30:47 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

The only thing your partner has to fear is fear itself.

Of course, that's easy for me to say having no experience of either of those compounds.

Reading between the lines, your partner has had 5-MeO-DMT before and is reluctant to go through an experience of similar intensity again. Are either of you familiar with the effects of 5-MeO-MALT? What causes you to think that this compound, as opposed to any other psychedelic, might cause a similar experience?

Psychedelics are by their very nature unpredictable and can get incredibly intense at times. If someone is not prepared to accept this - well, they're not obliged to take any psychedelic, are they?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

5-CNT-FAI
#3 Posted : 11/22/2021 9:55:19 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Oh right sorry I have three partners. This one hasn't tried 5-MeO-DMT at breakthrough doses yet and is worried about how reactivations may affect their day-to-day, specifically they're worried they might happen while driving (not something I've seen reported).

I do agree that fear is the only thing to fear, but such a mentality is (unfortunately) not infectious.

I'm familiar with the effects of 5-MeO-MALT. Preliminary reports are showing it to be similar in intensity and effect to 5-MeO-DMT, with longer duration and lower nausea, but since it's a fairly new research chemical, that's all I've got to go off of, hence asking in the forum to see if we have any experienced users.

Judging by its similarity my guess would be that it would result in reactivations.

Sage advice about unpredictability, I basically told them that a few times over, but they're experiencing a push and pull between how they want to break through their equilibrium of not-okay-but-surviving and their fear of the unknown. I'm sure the tug-of-war will resolve itself in time but information about reactivations could help.
We are but the waves of one sea.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 11/23/2021 2:37:49 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

If you have a copy of Shulgin's "TIHKaL" to hand it would be worth reading chapter 13, "Flashbacks". In summary, flashbacks can occur as the result of any particularly intense emotional experience, whether that be flying a light aircraft for the first time, scaling a mountain, experiencing an earthquake - or indeed, having a peak psychedelic experience. The inducer of the flashback to whatever type of emotional experience will consist of some set of relevant sensory cues such as specific sounds/music, scents, or a particular location. The flashback itself will consist of some set of sensory or emotional impressions in recollection of the initial experience. This need not entail any loss of self-control.

Shulgin's own example was one where he hurried to a concert during a snowstorm. Snow had accumulated on his collar and proceeded to melt during the concert. He was greatly surprised as the meltwater trickled down the back of his neck. Many months later on a warm, sunny summer's day when he heard the same piece of music that had been playing at that previous time, he was so convinced by the sensation of icy water trickling down his neck that he reached up to check the back of his neck with his hand. (Of course there was no water there!)

Well, that's Shulgin's story anyhow; but the thing is, flashbacks are not unique to psychedelic drugs - they are a normal function of memory and the demonisation of psychedelic flashbacks is yet another instance of anti-psychedelic propaganda. It is profoundly unhelpful to condition people to respond with anxiety or even panic to a perfectly normal aspect of mental function.

Here's an idea if any of your partners remain concerned about reactivation after these assurances - if you choose to have a musical soundtrack during the experience it may be helpful to pick a playlist that excludes anything that has the remotest possibility of being heard on any mainstream radio channel. This will help preclude reactivation through a musical cue while driving.

The decision to take a psychedelic drug and, more to the point, the actual act of taking it is like anything else where there is no turning back - stepping off the edge during any kind of daredevil leap, going after that love interest, ditching that boring job in no uncertain terms: these are all daunting things which require courage. And I certainly required a bit of courage when it finally came to adding mimosa tincture to my Syrian rue brew after a good few weeks working with the rue alone.

Boldness will typically be rewarded and suitable preparation increases the chances of that reward. So, sharing awareness of what those preparations might be seems key to optimising the outcomes for your prospective partners in this situation. Do you have a good picture of what kinds of preparation you might advise?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli