We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12345NEXT»
How does your cactus garden grow? (Cactus pic thread) Options

Grey Fox
#41 Posted : 10/9/2021 8:27:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:

Good to know. Mine look very similar to that but their providence is not wholly clear. Sounds like cloning should become a priority for me.

Which of yours is that?

There are a few different Bridgesii phenotypes in my collection. Most of them have the same general appearance. But there are small differences.

This Papa Smurf clone tends to have very squared off ribs for a Bridgesii. The space between the ribs often forms a straight line, instead if receding inward in between the ribs like most Bridgesii. The ribs are squared off and blocky. It usually has 5 ribs. The squared off ribs with straight lines in between gives an appearance almost of a wooden pencil that is not round but has flat sides.

Most Bridgesii get glaucous when grown in shade. But it is very pronounced on the Papa Smurf. The new growth is deep blue green, with neon yellow green tips. The skinny, squared off columns and the deep glaucous colors set this one apart from others in my collection. I've had 2 of them in the ground for a bit now, but recently decided to plant several more.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

downwardsfromzero
#42 Posted : 10/9/2021 9:26:22 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Grey Fox wrote:
Which of yours is that?
My 2 non-monstrose specimens are both thin and have glaucous blue-green at the tips. Pics of tips below. They're not so "neon"-green, but they do get a fair amount of sun. I'll try and include a shot which gives an impression of the rib shape, it would be good to know what you think. There are important decisions to be made about my cloning shortlist!

It's the two tallest ones in the pic with several other cacti.

Edit: There's a couple of shots from the start of the season which show the "neon"-green of the new growth.

Edit2: these are various pictures of the 2 specimens in question, arranged in pairs, to give an overall impression of their habit over the course of a May - October growing season.
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
IMG_6047.JPG (3,164kb) downloaded 343 time(s).
IMG_6049.JPG (3,699kb) downloaded 344 time(s).
IMG_4916.JPG (3,121kb) downloaded 346 time(s).
IMG_4915.JPG (3,284kb) downloaded 344 time(s).
IMG_5703.JPG (3,451kb) downloaded 345 time(s).
IMG_5704.JPG (3,288kb) downloaded 345 time(s).
IMG_4923.JPG (4,191kb) downloaded 345 time(s).
IMG_6080.JPG (2,914kb) downloaded 342 time(s).
IMG_6081.JPG (3,030kb) downloaded 342 time(s).

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Grey Fox
#43 Posted : 10/9/2021 11:16:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes some of yours with fewer ribs and a strong blue color have a similar look. But the rib shape on the Papa Smurf is still pretty unique in my opinion.

There is some variety that exists in Bridgesii phenotypes, as your photos demonstrate. I always look at the tips of these cacti to hone in on the differences between them. Bridgesiis seem to fall into 2 main groups, as far as I can tell.

The first group are what I like to think of as pure Bridgesii types. These tend to have 5 ribs (6 ribs as the columnns get fat). The tips tend to be more rounded in shape. They tend not to have a central spine. They are less spiny in general and most of the spines point downward. They almost look like skinny blue Scopulicola with long spines (but weak spination in general). The areoles tend not to point upward, but rather just bump straight out from the ribs.

The second group have traits that make me wonder if there is some admixture with Peruvianus that has taken place. They tend to have 6 ribs (7 ribs when the columns get fat). The tips tend to be more pointy in shape. They tend to have a central spine, with smaller spines radiating around it. The areoles often point upward, giving the ribs a sawtooth shape. They tend to be fatter plants in general.

And there are many intermediate looks. And there are odd looking outliers like SS02.

I have yet to figure out if the different phenotypes have any correspondence to differences in potency. If there is a corredpondence I havent noticed it yet. But perhaps some other growers have made those connections. Werd?
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

merkin
#44 Posted : 10/10/2021 7:26:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Here are some of mine, all waking up for the coming season no prizes for guessing my favourite psych Smile
merkin attached the following image(s):
Cactus_01.jpg (6,046kb) downloaded 333 time(s).
Cactus_02.jpg (5,045kb) downloaded 329 time(s).
Cactus_03.jpg (8,411kb) downloaded 332 time(s).
Cactus_04.jpg (6,220kb) downloaded 330 time(s).

Sunnyside
#45 Posted : 10/18/2021 12:30:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have some new additions to my most humble collection.
I can only go by the tags as far as identification. So they may or may not be as described.
I came across:
First 4 pictures, 2 different Terscheckii.
Next 3, a T. Scopulicola.
Final 2, a T. Pachanoi
Sunnyside attached the following image(s):
IMG_0447.jpg (3,357kb) downloaded 308 time(s).
IMG_0448.jpg (4,253kb) downloaded 305 time(s).
IMG_0449.jpg (3,472kb) downloaded 302 time(s).
IMG_0450.jpg (3,555kb) downloaded 301 time(s).
IMG_0451.jpg (3,600kb) downloaded 298 time(s).
IMG_0452.jpg (3,788kb) downloaded 299 time(s).
IMG_0453.jpg (2,706kb) downloaded 296 time(s).
IMG_0454.jpg (3,474kb) downloaded 297 time(s).
IMG_0455.jpg (3,477kb) downloaded 303 time(s).
" Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon
"No, they never did turn me into a toad." - Pete (O Brother, Where Art Thou?)
"Are you a time traveller?" "No, I think I'm more of a time prisoner." - Nadia Vulvokov (Russian Doll)

twitchy
#46 Posted : 10/18/2021 4:44:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Loooovely pics friends! So awesome to see these beings growing!

Here are my cact too, hopefully after a year in this ground now they will start picking up the speed of growth

The next time my wife complains about all my cacti, I'm going to show her your post and maybe she'll cut me some slack LOL. I live in zone 7 though, so we always have to haul them in and out, nothing beats having a cactus fall over and stick to your forehead while trying to carry it into the house.
Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.

Grey Fox
#47 Posted : 10/19/2021 2:51:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sunnyside wrote:
I have some new additions to my most humble collection.
I can only go by the tags as far as identification. So they may or may not be as described.
I came across:
First 4 pictures, 2 different Terscheckii.
Next 3, a T. Scopulicola.
Final 2, a T. Pachanoi

Hey nice cacti Sunnyside. I really like those Terscheckii! And that Scop looks so unique. Do you think it is dehydrated or is that it's normal appearance? It looks like a pure Scop. Your collection keeps getting nicer and nicer!
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Sunnyside
#48 Posted : 10/19/2021 1:43:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Grey Fox wrote:
Hey nice cacti Sunnyside. I really like those Terscheckii! And that Scop looks so unique. Do you think it is dehydrated or is that it's normal appearance? It looks like a pure Scop. Your collection keeps getting nicer and nicer!

Thank you Grey Fox, you know it's your fault I keep looking for these things, and I can't thank you enough!

I remember one time you had described the Terscheckii as looking like a spider sitting on the areole, and there they were, just like you said.

I agree about the appearance of the Scopulicola (I don't know it well enough yet to call it "Scop",) it's very odd. It doesn't feel soft or anything, it just has a wrinkled look to it. I'll keep you posted if anything changes. But I found it very attractive and wanted to include that picture to illustrate it.

I took a chance on the Pachanoi; from the sides, the edges do not have that jagged saw-tooth appearance of a PC; and the 'v-wings' over the areoles are apparent, at least higher up on the column. And it seems like the spines are mostly pointing not upward and are quite stout. So, we'll see I guess.
" Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon
"No, they never did turn me into a toad." - Pete (O Brother, Where Art Thou?)
"Are you a time traveller?" "No, I think I'm more of a time prisoner." - Nadia Vulvokov (Russian Doll)

Grey Fox
#49 Posted : 10/20/2021 2:21:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes that Pachanoi is an odd one. The top and bottom look like 2 different plants! It will be interesting to see what the new growth looks like. Honestly I can't tell either if it is PC or not. The growth is just so variable.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Voidmatrix
#50 Posted : 11/19/2021 12:57:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Three more Smile. 13 psychoactive cacti in total now (I have other cacti too). Good thing I'm rearranging my room in order to get a plant rack in.

One love

Voidmatrix attached the following image(s):
Three More.jpg (2,940kb) downloaded 229 time(s).
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Wolfnippletip
#51 Posted : 11/21/2021 5:53:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Got my overwintering tent up set up inside the larger greenhouse. I've had good luck with this type setup the last 5 years or so. The fan will be replaced with an electric oil-type space heater soon. I've been considering hanging grow lights during the Winter rather than let them go dormant.

Wolfnippletip attached the following image(s):
cactusgreenkidsintent11.2021.jpg (165kb) downloaded 212 time(s).
My flesh moves, like liquid. My mind is cut loose.

Voidmatrix
#52 Posted : 11/21/2021 6:08:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If it were mine, it would be my nap time space Smile

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

downwardsfromzero
#53 Posted : 11/21/2021 8:34:25 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Voidmatrix wrote:
If it were mine, it would be my nap time space Smile

One love

lol - I just moved my camp bed out of the greenhouse today for the winter. Great minds thinking alike Smile

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Voidmatrix
#54 Posted : 4/3/2022 8:04:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have minions...

They're cactus minions...

They find cacti for me to procure.

One minion gets really lucky, and in turn I get really lucky. She found these three for me in a week.

Love

One love
Voidmatrix attached the following image(s):
Dugtrio.jpg (2,426kb) downloaded 163 time(s).

Grey Fox
#55 Posted : 4/4/2022 2:41:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

How nice to have minions!

Those all look like PC Pachanoi.

They all look healthy.

Those look like cuttings that were potted recently. I don't grow in containers. But that potting mix doesn't look like what you want.

You mighy want totake them out of the containers. Then you can gently move away the soil from the cuttings and check for roots and any signs of rot. Then you can repot in a better potting mix.

At least thats what I would condiser doing if they were mine.

All the best with them Voidmatrix! Nice find!
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Wolfnippletip
#56 Posted : 4/28/2022 2:53:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My green prickly kids are perking back up. I think my Scopulicola and my Juul's Giant x Scopulicola are going to flower. They both showed signs (Hair on some areoles) last Season but no flower buds. I've never had a Scopulicola flower so I'm pumped! Very happy

This Season:
Wolfnippletip attached the following image(s):
cactus2022.4.27scopegonnaflower.jpg (51kb) downloaded 113 time(s).
cactus2022.4.27JJScopegonnaflower.jpg (82kb) downloaded 113 time(s).

endlessness
#57 Posted : 4/28/2022 6:57:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

awesome cact y'all Smile

Does anybody know what can be damaging the tip of some of my cact and what I can do about it?
endlessness attached the following image(s):
IMG_20220428_171245726_HDR.jpg (171kb) downloaded 103 time(s).

Wolfnippletip
#58 Posted : 4/28/2022 8:15:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Have those areas simply turned black or has flesh been removed from there? Since it's up on the fresh green tip I would think it is slug or possibly insect damage. Slugs tend to eat away large areas like that. If those areas just turned black then it would be some type rot, which would surprise me as there are no other spots of it than on the tip.

endlessness
#59 Posted : 4/28/2022 10:13:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think you're right, it' s some slug or insect.. Is there anything I could do to stop them from coming there?

Usually it just scars and keeps growing but in a couple of cact when they damaged the very tip, then it stopped the growth, and formed a pup right beside the tip instead. So its not the end of the world but annoying, delaying growth.

Wolfnippletip
#60 Posted : 4/29/2022 12:37:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

For insects I've started to dust the tops with Diatomaceous Earth (and it's high time I did that). I haven't had much trouble with slugs so far.

Google sez:

One of the most environmentally friendly and effective ways to keep snails and slugs from nibbling on your plants is by using egg shells. Crushing up eggshells into small pieces and liberally scattering them around the base of the plant, the pot, or even on the plant itself, acts as a deterrent.

Interesting Smile

PREV12345NEXT»