We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Harmala Roasting. Options

josboaz
#1 Posted : 8/18/2021 9:05:59 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello There,

I recently had read a few posts of members here, that they roasted there Harmala seeds as a way to convert the taste of the seeds, which helps enormously! Big grin

Now I have a question about the color of the roasted seeds. Is there a specific color that the seeds should have? Because right now I have roasted the seeds a couple of times and I noticed different colors depending on the duration, that I had the pan on the stove.
To a somewhat more darker brownish color to a color that is close to black.
I had read that the smell should be ¨nice¨ but it should not smelled as burned.
The smell of the more blackish looking seeds did not smelled burned per se. Would you Harmala-Roasting-Experts out here say that a any color resembling black is a no-no.
I know consuming burned substance's can increase the likely hood of developing cancer.
So I would like to know what the color of the roasted seeds should look like.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Tomtegubbe
#2 Posted : 8/18/2021 10:36:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I do the roasting by ear. I try to roast the seeds just enough to make most of the seeds pop put not more. I try to evade seeds turning black.
My preferred method:
Very easy pharmahuasca recipe

My preferred introductory article:
Just a Wee Bit More About DMT, by Nick Sand

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 8/22/2021 8:51:32 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Tomtegubbe wrote:
I do the roasting by ear.
REally? I use an iron pan Laughing

But seriously, the brew does taste much better if burning of the seeds is avoided. There's an optimum point of roasting that means the brew is almost enjoyable, with a nutty/coffee taste. The colour will be a very dark brown but not black. Seeds that are actually burnt go back in the direction of disgusting to quite a considerable degree.

Another thing that keeps the flavour of the brew more in the direction of palatable is to avoid unnecessary addition of acids, vinegar being particularly revolting in this respect.

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
โ€• Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Voidmatrix
#4 Posted : 8/23/2021 2:19:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Tomtegubbe wrote:
I do the roasting by ear.
REally? I use an iron pan Laughing

I'm dying Laughing

I roast until a few are burnt, then toss into boiling water. I've learned that it's hard to get all of them to pop without burning the majority.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 8/25/2021 4:23:54 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Had to revisit here in the interest of accuracy - this morning I noticed while roasting some seeds (finally, it's been too long) that they first lighten before darkening. When roasted optimally for my tastes they're more of a mid-brown and the very dark brown I mentioned above only appears once they're in the water. Because I live in an area with very hard water, I tend to use distilled water for at least some of the boils. This removes the need for acidifying with anything but a small scoop of vitamin C powder per boil as well as making for a much clearer brew. The hard water produces abundant precipitates of some kind of calcium salt which I don't care for so much.

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Voidmatrix
#6 Posted : 8/25/2021 6:22:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Had to revisit here in the interest of accuracy - this morning I noticed while roasting some seeds (finally, it's been too long) that they first lighten before darkening. When roasted optimally for my tastes they're more of a mid-brown and the very dark brown I mentioned above only appears once they're in the water. Because I live in an area with very hard water, I tend to use distilled water for at least some of the boils. This removes the need for acidifying with anything but a small scoop of vitamin C powder per boil as well as making for a much clearer brew. The hard water produces abundant precipitates of some kind of calcium salt which I don't care for so much.

So, should I be adding a small amount of acid when boiling for a more effective brew?

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 8/25/2021 10:22:32 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Maybe, if your tap water is alkaline. The alkaloids will be present as their salts in the seeds so acid isn't strictly necessary if using distilled/deionised water. I just like to add a bit of ascorbic because it's a vydammin - and because I like being self-contradictory.

Voidmatrix
#8 Posted : 8/25/2021 10:36:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Maybe, if your tap water is alkaline. The alkaloids will be present as their salts in the seeds so acid isn't strictly necessary if using distilled/deionised water. I just like to add a bit of ascorbic because it's a vydammin - and because I like being self-contradictory.

Bahahaha, well now I don't know what to do.

I think tonight I'll check my tapes ph. How basic does it need to be for me to consider acid?

One love

downwardsfromzero
#9 Posted : 8/25/2021 10:41:46 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

What really matters is perhaps the pH of the harmala brew. It is best to have that below 7 to keep the harmine in solution. Just use as little acid as possible for palatability's sake.

Voidmatrix
#10 Posted : 8/27/2021 12:32:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
What really matters is perhaps the pH of the harmala brew. It is best to have that below 7 to keep the harmine in solution. Just use as little acid as possible for palatability's sake.

Alrighty, so I gave that a whirl, adding the ittiest bittiest amount of white vinegar. 3g last night seemed to have more effect than previous times. Am debating if I want to try adding a little more vinegar (I'm weird and actually like the smell and taste of it anyway), or do what I did last night with 3.5g rue seed.

One love

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 8/27/2021 10:11:05 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I may have been over-cautious with my roasting technique. Having roasted my rue seeds for a bit longer this morning, I would now conclude that adding a bit of vinegar would be less detrimental to the taste of properly roasted seeds than it is when added to a brew made with only partially roasted seeds. Bon appetit!

This morning's brew was made with roasted seeds and distilled water only, without addition of any acid (so much for controlling one variable), and seems to be comparable in activity with yesterday's brew which was roasted less but had 80mg ascorbic acid added to each of the 4 brews of 125mL distilled water. (I do take a magnesium supplement separately, btw.)

The flavour of today's brew was the best to date.

Tomtegubbe
#12 Posted : 9/16/2021 3:38:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have changed my method a bit. No more roasting by ear 🙂

It seems that if you let most of the seeds pop, you are likely to get burnt seeds which taste bad and don't have the alkaloids left.

I'm currently experimenting with roasting as little as possible. It seems that even a light roast helps a lot with the taste. Getting consistent results is difficult and you don't quite know how strong dose you get.
My preferred method:
Very easy pharmahuasca recipe

My preferred introductory article:
Just a Wee Bit More About DMT, by Nick Sand

Voidmatrix
#13 Posted : 9/16/2021 4:04:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tomtegubbe wrote:

It seems that if you let most of the seeds pop, you are likely to get burnt seeds which taste bad and don't have the alkaloids left.

I'm currently experimenting with roasting as little as possible. It seems that even a light roast helps a lot with the taste. Getting consistent results is difficult and you don't quite know how strong dose you get.

I've changed my roasting as well. I now roast them on high, and at the peak of popping, dump the pan into acidic water. Brews have been noticeably more potent with this method.

One love

downwardsfromzero
#14 Posted : 11/16/2021 12:50:15 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

This thread has really borne some fruit in the main part of the forum: Dark Roast Rue Brew - 5 Grams.

Roasting the seeds eliminates harmaline somehow and allows the production of a harmine-only brew without resorting to complicated separation methods.

Of course it destroys some precious alkaloids but rue is typically cheap enough for this to be of little consequence.

Voidmatrix wrote:
I've changed my roasting as well. I now roast them on high, and at the peak of popping, dump the pan into acidic water. Brews have been noticeably more potent with this method.
Have you checked the blacklight fluorescence of these brews?

Voidmatrix
#15 Posted : 11/16/2021 1:38:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
This thread has really borne some fruit in the main part of the forum: Dark Roast Rue Brew - 5 Grams.

Roasting the seeds eliminates harmaline somehow and allows the production of a harmine-only brew without resorting to complicated separation methods.

Of course it destroys some precious alkaloids but rue is typically cheap enough for this to be of little consequence.

Voidmatrix wrote:
Have you checked the blacklight fluorescence of these brews?

I have not. But thank you for posting as I've changed my roasting method again and forgot to update. That said, I'm roasting on high until I hear a few pops and immediately drop it to a low medium temp. From here I stir the seeds in the pan to help prevent burning until the majority have popped, turning a grayish color. Then I steep in boiling acidic water and reduce. I will start observing under blacklight.

One love

josboaz
#16 Posted : 5/17/2023 9:42:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
I tend to use distilled water for at least some of the boils. This removes the need for acidifying with anything but a small scoop of vitamin C powder per boil as well as making for a much clearer brew.

Hii there, I was wondering what the function is of Vitamin C powder, I had read it a bunch of times regarding mushrooms. But I do not know its effects, does it make the water more acidic?
I have also made harmala with lemon juice or vinegar but found it would make it much more disgusting than plain harmala, which is awful on its own. I stopped with roasting the seeds, as I have tried it many times, since I OP in this thread. But I got the feeling that roasting deactivated it.

Back than, I just to cook around 28gr with 4L water, boil it down to 200/500ml
I would typically take one sip and place my phone on a timer for 1.5H. After which I would check the effects, in case the need of redosing. I'm quite familiar with this method when I roasted the seeds to either dark brownish color or even black. I did not get the same intensity.

josboaz
#17 Posted : 5/17/2023 10:11:04 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Tomtegubbe wrote:

After reading this, I'm going to make two brews.

1. 28gr non-roasted, 4L reduce to 200ML
2. 10gr light roasted seeds. 700ml reduce to 200ml
(this is not a single dose)

Then I will add them together, this might be the key, to combat the awful haramala taste, thanks! especially the mentioning of losing alkaloids, I discovered myself as well and this is one of the major factors why I stopped roasting them, but I will experiment with this new method of combining the brews.

Gnostic_Mind
#18 Posted : 5/18/2023 8:09:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

josboaz wrote:

I stopped with roasting the seeds, as I have tried it many times, since I OP in this thread. But I got the feeling that roasting deactivated it.

This is my main concern as well, I think we are privileged and should be just appreciative that such a precious tool is so widely available and so cheaply than worrying too much over taste. Does anyone drink the Rue tea straight anyway?
My fav combo is probably with hot chocolate, but Oat milk also works well and so does a protein shake or just a soft drink, you can mix it with any number of drinks to taste very little of the Rue but a mild background taste.

josboaz
#19 Posted : 5/18/2023 2:19:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Gnostic_Mind wrote:
josboaz wrote:

I stopped with roasting the seeds, as I have tried it many times, since I OP in this thread. But I got the feeling that roasting deactivated it.

This is my main concern as well, I think we are privileged and should be just appreciative that such a precious tool is so widely available and so cheaply than worrying too much over taste. Does anyone drink the Rue tea straight anyway?
My fav combo is probably with hot chocolate, but Oat milk also works well and so does a protein shake or just a soft drink, you can mix it with any number of drinks to taste very little of the Rue but a mild background taste.

well, it depends on what you mean with 'rue tea' as there is a difference in the taste. When it comes down to either a tea or brew. i.e. pouring hot water over it or cooking. I make strongly concentrated brews of 40gr. That stuff is awful and can not be easily masked by other liquids.

Voidmatrix
#20 Posted : 5/19/2023 2:32:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

josboaz wrote:
Gnostic_Mind wrote:
josboaz wrote:

well, it depends on what you mean with 'rue tea' as there is a difference in the taste. When it comes down to either a tea or brew. i.e. pouring hot water over it or cooking. I make strongly concentrated brews of 40gr. That stuff is awful and can not be easily masked by other liquids.

I always add honey. I've had it without a few times, and it's not too terrible, but isn't pleasant. The honey remedies that completely and makes the rue have a well-balanced flavor in conjunction.

I recently just brewed a batch with 100g, reducing the total volume to about 450ml, so it's ready to go whenever I want it. Made sure to pour plenty of honey in Smile

One love

12NEXT