We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Question about Evaping then Freeze-Precip Options

Soulcrusher
#1 Posted : 1/29/2010 11:53:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Seems like SWIM used a decent amount of naphtha per pull and needs to evaporate some of it before freeze-precip. SWIM wanted to know how long under a low fan setting, how long someone should let the naphtha evaporate, before freeze-precip'ing it?

Should SWIM leave it for 6 hours, 3 hours, the whole day?? etc.....

Thanks
Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops. Away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me.

-The Wizard of Oz

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 1/29/2010 12:29:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

its not exactly about how long, but more about how much.. You said in the other thread you are using 1/2lb of bark, which is like 227g, and 230ml of naphtha, which is an important information you have to include when you want to know how much to evaporate.

And to say more or less how much to evap, is an estimate because the amount of dmt in the naphtha (and therefore how saturated it is) will depend on your bark quality, on the exact solvent, on the temperatures, on how fine the bark was powdered, on how long you let it stand, etc... Other people may disagree, but for that amount of bark I would say a 100ml pull is already more than enough if you want to freeze precipitate, could even be bit smaller pulls and do more of them (like 6 or whatever). The issue is of course that depending on your technique, separating many small pulls may be troublesome... So you have to see for your case.

But now you already made a bigger pull. Its not a problem or anything, its just as I said maybe not so many crystals will precipitate.. You can either evap some, which as I said is an estimate how much, or you can already try to stick in the freezer, see what comes out, get those crystals, and then reuse that naphtha for more pulls or evap it down again and stick in the freezer.

If you evap some, one possibility is evapping half of it and sticking in the freezer to see what happens. If you evap too little, maybe not many crystals will come out, and if you evap too much it will be even better for freeze precipitation but you are wasting naphtha (which also in terms of sustainability is not very good, if you care about it Razz actually I suggest for next time start looking into the limonene extractions hehe ).

Hope I answered your question Smile

Soulcrusher
#3 Posted : 1/29/2010 1:00:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Endless, thank you for your help in this thread and the other. SWIM's next extraction will be BLAB.....
Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops. Away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me.

-The Wizard of Oz

mumbles
#4 Posted : 2/2/2010 11:34:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It takes about 15-20mins to reduce a quantity of naptha by 100mls with swims fan. Results may vary but just check every 20-30mins for a cloudy precipitate.