We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Proper Name for Acacia+Rue Brew! Options

OneIsEros
#1 Posted : 9/24/2021 3:50:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I did a bit of Googling, and was delighted by what I found.

The tree, Acacia Confusa, is Taiwanese, a Mandarin Chinese speaking country. They call the tree 台灣相思樹 (Taiwan Xiangsi Shu) which translates literally as "Taiwanese Thinking Each Other Tree". However, the term 相思 "Xiang Si", two symbols which by themselves mean "thinking" and "each other", if you type it into online translation, gets you results like "missing", or "yearning", or (Google Translate's translation), "lovesickness". It basically means missing someone, thinking about them.

Okay, neat - but wait. Then, I look up Syrian Rue's traditional name's etymology. When I Google the Arabic حرمل, which in the Latin alphabet is Harmel (Peganum Harmala, Syrian Rue) - this is the wiktionary page:

"Etymology
From Classical Syriac ܐܪܡܠܐ‎ (ˀarmalā, “harmal; Syrian rue”), from Ancient Greek ἁρμαλά (harmalá ) , a loanword of uncertain etymology linked to Akkadian 𒌑𒀀𒈾𒈨𒊒 (anamiru, “medical and ritual herb”); cognate with Hebrew אַלְמָן‎ (ʾalmān)."
https://en.wiktionary.or...%D8%AD%D8%B1%D9%85%D9%84

So I think, "Alright, doesn't tell me much... so what does this Hebrew term it's cognate with mean?"

Wiktionary again for this Hebrew term "אלמן" (in the Latin alphabet "almán" ) :
"אַלְמָן • (almán) m (feminine counterpart אַלְמָנָה‎)

widower (man whose wife has died)"
https://en.wiktionary.or...D7%9C%D7%9E%D7%9F#Hebrew

Isn't that crazy!?!? Syrian Rue= WIDOWER and Acacia=LOVESICK/YEARNING/MISSING

Opposite sides of the globe, totally unrelated cultures, both completely unaware of the hallucinogenic properties which would arise from harmala+DMT combinations, and yet the traditional names for these two plants which only recently came together in human history are basically meant for each other.

Also kind of cool that with "widower" death is sort of involved in the name the same way traditional "ayahuasca" ("death/spirit-vine" ) has "death" in its name... and nice that "love" in some form is thrown in with it. I like thinking of them as long-separated lovers who become united together in the magical world of spirits.

Personally I'm tweaking the "lovesick widower" a little bit for the sake of English euphony (euphony=sounding good), and am just calling it "widow's love". The name implies the nature of the love simply by being placed in conjunction with a widow, and the feminine form "widow" has better euphony in my ears than "widower". And of course, since we brew these plants into a magical potion, I cannot resist calling it a "love potion"...

---edit: Also worth noting is that the way we say "harmel" as "harmala" is closer to the feminine form of "alman", which is "almana". So the way we say "harmala" is indeed actually closer to "widow" "almana" rather than "widower" "alman". end edit---

So there you have it. "Widow's Love Potion". Shorthand, from now on I'll be referring to it as either "Widow's Love", or simply as "Love Potion". I think the most literal "Widow's Love" is the most euphonic. You saw it here first! ; ) <3

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Tomtegubbe
#2 Posted : 9/24/2021 5:50:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I like your efforts. I hate calling it pharmahuasca, because I feel it connects to the spirit of Ayahuasca, although there are reasons to respect the naming conventions. Maybe something will come out of this 🙂
My preferred method:
Very easy pharmahuasca recipe

My preferred introductory article:
Just a Wee Bit More About DMT, by Nick Sand

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 9/24/2021 8:38:01 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

That's some lovely etymological work you've done, OneIsEros. That concept of feminine love from beyond the gates of death is evocative to quite an uncanny degree - although, of course, you already had the target somewhere in mind so there are other possibilities, especially when using languages with a consonantal orthography like Arabic and Hebrew.

Name play is important IMO, and the late Dale Pendell explored this line of thinking in his Pharmako* trilogy, particularly in the chapter on Syrian rue.

You've set me thinking, what would we get from "esphand" + "jurema"? What etymological resources did you find most useful?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

RhythmSpring
#4 Posted : 9/24/2021 4:54:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

OneIsEros wrote:
Opposite sides of the globe, totally unrelated cultures, both completely unaware of the hallucinogenic properties which would arise from harmala+DMT combinations, and yet the traditional names for these two plants which only recently came together in human history are basically meant for each other.

Beautiful.

OneIsEros wrote:
So there you have it. "Widow's Love Potion". Shorthand, from now on I'll be referring to it as either "Widow's Love", or simply as "Love Potion". I think the most literal "Widow's Love" is the most euphonic. You saw it here first! ; ) <3

That works. It really describes the experience of Ayahuasca for me too. I feel like so much of the problems that Ayahuasca deals with (all of them) have to do with love, heartbreak, lovesickness, etc. And Ayahuasca is like a lover (who even gets jealous, according to some Amazonian thought) who heals you for a night, like a lover. She'll go, but she'll leave with you lessons that will carry you to the next relationship. Or she'll bring you right to the person who is meant for you! (at that given moment) Or, she'll affirm the relationship you're already in, or point out its flaws.

Either way, Ayahuasca is something that makes you feel loved (by yourself, by God, whatev) for a time, but not in a numbing way like an opiate, but in a teaching, awakening kind of way. It can be like the canteen you carry through the desert of heartbreak.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

murklan
#5 Posted : 9/24/2021 5:27:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Name play is important IMO, and the late Dale Pendell explored this line of thinking in his Pharmako* trilogy, particularly in the chapter on Syrian rue.

On a side track, I've only read 'Pharmako/Poeia' how do you like the other two? It's really one of a kind.

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 9/24/2021 7:45:45 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

murklan wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:

On a side track, I've only read 'Pharmako/Poeia' how do you like the other two? It's really one of a kind.

If you liked Pharmako/poeia, you'll love Pharmako/gnosis. That's where he covered Peganum harmala and Jurema (Acacia confusa wasn't really on the radar at the time of publication). Pharmako/dynamis lends a sense of completion to the trilogy (not just by being the third book and anyhow it was the second Big grin ) by covering not only tea, cofffee, cocaine and amphetamine but also nutmeg and MDMA.

Best get the whole set Thumbs up

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

kerelsk
#7 Posted : 9/24/2021 10:05:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been calling them 'ruebrews' haha. I'll start with rue for the base and add in anything else I feel like.
I have to agree, even the *huasca terms without any caapi just seem wrong.

Also the Pharmako/ series is awesome. It feels good to know plant people are out there haha

ShamensStamen
#8 Posted : 9/24/2021 11:39:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I just see it all as different flavors of the same underlying medicine, so whether Acacia, Mimosa, Chacruna or Chaliponga or even pure DMT, whether Rue or Caapi or Rue AND Caapi, or even extracted Harmalas, even Psilohuasca using mushrooms or 4-ACO-DMT, etc, it's all "Huasca's" to me. I know people may frown upon that but it's just the way i see it. I don't really feel the need to differentiate between Ayahuasca, Anahuasca, Pharmahuasca, Psilohuasca, i don't get caught up on the labels and names, i do get more specific depending on what i have in mix and what i'm using but i don't make a big deal out of what i call it, it's all Huasca to me, just different variations/flavors.

RhythmSpring
#9 Posted : 9/25/2021 12:36:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

kerelsk wrote:
I've been calling them 'ruebrews' haha.

Brue
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

OneIsEros
#10 Posted : 9/25/2021 6:13:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ShamensStamen wrote:
I just see it all as different flavors of the same underlying medicine, so whether Acacia, Mimosa, Chacruna or Chaliponga or even pure DMT, whether Rue or Caapi or Rue AND Caapi, or even extracted Harmalas, even Psilohuasca using mushrooms or 4-ACO-DMT, etc, it's all "Huasca's" to me. I know people may frown upon that but it's just the way i see it. I don't really feel the need to differentiate between Ayahuasca, Anahuasca, Pharmahuasca, Psilohuasca, i don't get caught up on the labels and names, i do get more specific depending on what i have in mix and what i'm using but i don't make a big deal out of what i call it, it's all Huasca to me, just different variations/flavors.

Intriguing. I tend to agree, for me whether I am using pharmahuasca or a plant concoction, the basic harmala+DMT combo is distinctively shared across the experiences, rather as THC is shared across cannabis strains. While there is variance, I always recognize THC as such and as distinct from other experiences regardless of the minor intra-variances across strains of cannabis (no matter how dramatic these "minor" variances truly can be!), and for me the same goes for harmala+DMT. The experiences aren't identical, but there's definitely a recognizable underlying universal factor.

However, I personally would draw a sharp line at psilohuasca. While mushrooms are indeed closer to the ayahuasca experience than say, LSD or mescaline, it is a pretty radical difference for me personally, even if the harmalas bring the psilocybin experience closer to DMT+harmalas.

I mostly just posted this because

a) there is dispute among psychedelic community members about the specific names of these concoctions (which I think is fair, even when the differences are only qualitatively rather than substantively different), and

b) because the etymology of the traditional terms for these plants was just so dang perfect, as though they were fated for one another.

Widow's Love y'all ; ) <3

dithyramb
#11 Posted : 9/25/2021 9:09:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It all depends on perspective. With different plant admixtures, rue based brews become very different entheogens for me. Of course the difference with other psychedelics are greater. I guess I am taking rue for granted and this affects my perspective.
The consciousness of plants is a constant source of information for medicine, alimentation, and art, and an example of the intelligence and creative imagination of nature. Much of my education I owe to the intelligence of these great teachers. Thus I consider myself to be the “representative” of plants, and for this reason I assert that if they cut down the trees and burn what’s left of the rainforests, it is the same as burning a whole library of books without ever having read them.

~ Pablo Amaringo

OneIsEros
#12 Posted : 9/25/2021 6:38:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also worth noting (editing this into the first post) that the way we say "harmel" as "harmala" is closer to the feminine form of "alman", which is "almana". So the way we say "harmala" is indeed actually closer to "widow" "almana" rather than "widower" "alman".

Jozeh
#13 Posted : 10/8/2021 9:38:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting cross-cultural analysis.

OneIsEros wrote:
"Widow's Love Potion".

Reminds me of a myth of Ayahuasca creation as relayed by Pablo Amaringo:
Quote:
. I can attest that among the most
remote tribes of Peru, there is one called Shins, of great warriors. Among them
there was a king called Sinchihuyacui, who after being defeated by another tribe
went full of sorrow to a garden where he had planted various trees. There he died,
and was buried near them.
Some years later he appeared in a dream to his wife, Queen Ganmacuina, and asked
her to go to his grave with some of her princesses, taking with her his shield, his
spear, his bronze war club and sling, the gourd from which he used to drink, and his
chicha [maize beer] vessel. He would then give her some instructions relating to the
plant that had grown ( grave
Whenever you wish you may receive
good advice and know] about other worlds. I made a plant grow out C hair. This
vine grew and climbed up to the tree my grave, and there it flowered, producing
seeds.] this plant you shall take cuttings, and you shall C ayahuasca, from aya~
dead person, bitter - and huasca vine. That is why the songs this plant teaches are
sad and melancholic, as if played on harps and quenas [Incaic flutes]. And you
must mix it with the plant called chacruna that is growing near my feet. With the
help of these two plants you will be able to see fantastic colours and sounds, and
you will be able to develop your psyche and acquire deep knowledge from past
cultures.

OneIsEros
#14 Posted : 10/24/2021 12:36:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, thanks for that Jozeh!

murklan
#15 Posted : 10/24/2021 12:53:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
If you liked Pharmako/poeia, you'll love Pharmako/gnosis. That's where he covered Peganum harmala and Jurema (Acacia confusa wasn't really on the radar at the time of publication). Pharmako/dynamis lends a sense of completion to the trilogy (not just by being the third book and anyhow it was the second Big grin ) by covering not only tea, cofffee, cocaine and amphetamine but also nutmeg and MDMA.

Best get the whole set Thumbs up

Great! Now I really want to read the rest too. Even if I like getting info on pharmacology I really like the magic and poetry of his work.