We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
Years first Amanita Muscaria Options

roninsina
#41 Posted : 10/16/2021 5:09:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tony6Strings wrote:
I find these growing mostly around deciduous trees. I know supposedly they only grow in close proximity to evergreens but I find them near deciduous. Almost always close to trees of some sort though.

But, do you notice them more frequently around some particular few species? Or some other factors that are visible that would contribute to the purported symbiosis required for them to flourish. Other than finding them where I have around here, which isn’t frequent, I was hoping to narrow down my search a bit.
"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and knows." Robert Frost

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

null24
#42 Posted : 10/16/2021 5:33:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Tony6Strings wrote:
I find these growing mostly around deciduous trees. I know supposedly they only grow in close proximity to evergreens but I find them near deciduous. Almost always close to trees of some sort though.

Yeah it seems to be a myth that they have the symbiotic relationship with evergreens. I've found them in the open not near anything or around landscaping bushes, hardwoods and evergreens. Not lately tho. Been striking out on everything except those babies I ate. Hasn't really rained at yet. I did find a big mass of what I'm almost certain is cyan myc in a couple spots that had patches last year. It's the waiting game.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

roninsina
#43 Posted : 10/16/2021 6:49:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My old Audubon Field Guide reports them growing under pine, spruce, birch, live oak, and mandrone. I’m not finding them to really match all of that in my area and was just looking for some clues as to what the myc might be feeding on. It doesn’t, in my limited experience, appear that those trees by themselves are what’s feeding them, especially if you’re finding them out in the open where, at best there’s some buried rotten wood.

Happy hunting, guys.

infinitynlove
#44 Posted : 10/17/2021 4:48:25 AM

Mushroom Explorer

Hey there

I thought id add a few pics I taken of some lovely fly agaric I seen in Scotland. interesting I noticed some deer eat a huge cluster of them!

Do deer trip on fly agaric mushrooms? They love to eat them thats for sure!

Peace <3
infinitynlove attached the following image(s):
IMG_20211007_115501765.jpg (605kb) downloaded 153 time(s).
IMG_20211007_115507358.jpg (3,218kb) downloaded 148 time(s).
IMG_20211007_115516980.jpg (3,297kb) downloaded 149 time(s).
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

roninsina
#45 Posted : 10/18/2021 4:07:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice photos InfinityLove.

So more evidence they may not be dependent on live trees and there is some other soil relationship feeding them. Are there any trees nearby whose roots could reach the soil near those fruits?

I’ve noticed the squirrels around here seem to really love them too, and are not daunted by or enjoy the possible effects they may be getting.

infinitynlove
#46 Posted : 10/19/2021 3:43:28 PM

Mushroom Explorer

roninsina wrote:
Nice photos InfinityLove.

So more evidence they may not be dependent on live trees and there is some other soil relationship feeding them. Are there any trees nearby whose roots could reach the soil near those fruits?

I’ve noticed the squirrels around here seem to really love them too, and are not daunted by or enjoy the possible effects they may be getting.

Hi there
they where found in a an area surrounded by forest that has been cut back to build a house, also close to several silver birch, so it makes sense that the soil sill had the right conditions for their growth, they also could be growing on some elongated roots under the ground.

The deer loved them!

<3
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

downwardsfromzero
#47 Posted : 10/20/2021 12:50:08 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

infinitynlove wrote:
Reindeer love fly agarics so much that reindeer herders have been known to round the creatures up by scattering dried caps on the ground, or so I've read at least.

We can conclude that most animals enjoy getting into altered states now and again.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

infinitynlove
#48 Posted : 10/21/2021 2:51:08 AM

Mushroom Explorer

downwardsfromzero wrote:
infinitynlove wrote:
Reindeer love fly agarics so much that reindeer herders have been known to round the creatures up by scattering dried caps on the ground, or so I've read at least.

We can conclude that most animals enjoy getting into altered states now and again.

I have heard similar Smile

I also have heard of shamans drinking the urine from deer and humans that have consumed Amanita Muscaria to get refined effect, apparently passing through the body improves it and reduces side effects...

I heard that some big cats also chew on active roots before hunting.

Cows always eat liberty caps, where sheep avoid them.

Sheep eat phlaris grass! It was known as sleepy grass as they would often fall over after eating it Smile

I love nature

downwardsfromzero
#49 Posted : 10/21/2021 10:06:27 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
Sheep eat phlaris grass! It was known as sleepy grass as they would often fall over after eating it Smile
Phalaris grass sometimes causes a condition known as staggers (amongst other things) and its cause is still contested. One particular symptom of phalaris staggers is paralysis of the hind legs and can progress to fatal convulsions. Research into staggers led to the discovery of tryptamines in these grasses (thanks, sheep!) Interestingly, histological analysis of deceased sheep's brains following cases of phalaris staggers showed bluish striations... This perhaps ties in with what Chimp Z writes here:
Chimp Z wrote:
Science has also shown us that many causes of livestock death or "staggers" are from high amounts of cobalt build up in soil or other issues like mixing toxic legumes into their diet.
so, in the fatal, convulsive cases at least, tryptamines may have little to do with phalaris staggers at all. (Perhaps it should be mentioned, cobalt compounds often have a blue colour.)

However, Sleepy grass - Stipa robusta - is in an entirely different genus and contains LSA and related prenyltryptophan-derived alkaloids as its major active components, which are produced by an endophytic fungus (IIRC off the top of my head, Epichloë sp. - I could well be wrong here). Jim de Korne mentioned this grass in the lysergamide chapter of his book, Psychedelic Shamanism, whereas Phalaris had its own chapter.

Then there is Lolium staggers (or something like that) which is caused by an entirely different group of (non-indolic) alkaloids sometimes found in Lolium species.

Just to set things straight Big grin

There is still enormous scope for expanding our understanding of alkaloid occurrence in the Poaceae family. I do wonder whether anyone has examined the tryptamine content of the substrate species favoured by Psilocybe semilanceata (attempting to veer back on topic - oh, hang on we're in the fly agaric thread. Whatever Rolling eyes ).

Quote:
Quote:
Cows always eat liberty caps, where sheep avoid them
Most animals, except sheep Laughing

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Tony6Strings
#50 Posted : 10/21/2021 7:07:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The caps from post #30, dried.
Tony6Strings attached the following image(s):
IMG_20211021_110426_HDR.jpg (4,704kb) downloaded 90 time(s).
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

downwardsfromzero
#51 Posted : 10/21/2021 8:06:49 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

why, they look good enough to eat!
Drool

null24
#52 Posted : 10/21/2021 11:49:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Whatcha planning to do with those?
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Exitwound
#53 Posted : 10/22/2021 9:10:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Why not microdose? These have cognitive and mood enhancing properties at low dose, the best usage for them imo.
Btw mixing amanitas with edible cannabis is recommended by me Thumbs up
Dosage wise: we make it so that each person gets equivalent of 3-4gr of dried amanitas with drinkable canna dose, they synergize very nicely, just don't overindulge Wink

Tony6Strings
#54 Posted : 10/23/2021 1:42:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Soon I will make tea from one of the small caps. I still have yet to try.

Null you are welcome to some of these if you are ever in the area. Also I have a whole other box of things besides which we can get into...

Exit thanks for the advice I will give this a try soon.
olympus mon wrote:

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

roninsina
#55 Posted : 10/24/2021 12:54:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Tony6Strings wrote:
Soon I will make tea from one of the small caps. I still have yet to try.

Hey Tony, I don’t have extensive experience with amanitas, but I did want to mention that a smallish cap of maybe a couple or three inches minced and brewed for a half hour or so, is a very nice dose for me. It is very comforting at that dose and doesn’t really give me any of the challenging mental space. I can still be quite social and generally have total control of all faculties and my sensory awareness is uncompromised/slightly enhanced. Nice gentle euphoria. A very primal body high.

A little higher dose, with a big cap or a couple of small ones may need a slightly safer place to move around or maybe better to sit still - there may be some noticeable ataxia and you may want to make some noise.

I haven’t considered a large dose yet, as I enjoy the smaller ones so much. I would like to find a dose that feels safe for work as I’m very sensitive to the cold and amanitas give me significant immunity to this.

Anyway, good luck! A campfire in the woods with some friends is the perfect setting for that dose!

Edit: I usually chew and swallow the little minced bits from the tea, and it’s quite tasty without adding anything for flavor.

Tony6Strings
#56 Posted : 10/24/2021 8:11:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Roninsina thank you for the advice. I would like to photograph the area where I pick these, there are 🍄 everywhere and many very large. Maybe later today. I've been picking this size I like how they look and easier to dry.
IMG_20211024_120655_HDR.jpg (3,512kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
olympus mon wrote:

null24
#57 Posted : 10/24/2021 8:57:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Damn Tony. I'm hitting the jackpot with cyans down here but have not seen a single red amanita. Found a couple slug eaten Panthers, but that isn't what I am after....
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Tony6Strings
#58 Posted : 10/24/2021 10:44:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Null24, this spot contains amanitas every fall, although this last week's fruiting is prolific. I'm sure there are similar spots somewhere in pdx. Note the ground is covered in deciduous leaves. Not an evergreen anywhere on the block.
IMG_20211024_131617_HDR.jpg (6,819kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
IMG_20211024_131709_HDR.jpg (6,214kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
IMG_20211024_131738_HDR.jpg (6,895kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
IMG_20211024_131834_HDR.jpg (5,932kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
IMG_20211024_132033_HDR.jpg (5,612kb) downloaded 33 time(s).
IMG_20211024_132048_HDR.jpg (5,726kb) downloaded 33 time(s).
IMG_20211024_132250_HDR.jpg (5,794kb) downloaded 33 time(s).
IMG_20211024_132309_HDR.jpg (4,424kb) downloaded 33 time(s).
IMG_20211024_132804_HDR.jpg (4,754kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
IMG_20211024_133059_HDR.jpg (5,326kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
IMG_20211024_133241_HDR.jpg (6,069kb) downloaded 33 time(s).
IMG_20211024_134331_HDR.jpg (5,485kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
IMG_20211024_140232_HDR.jpg (3,770kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
IMG_20211024_141207_HDR.jpg (3,494kb) downloaded 34 time(s).
olympus mon wrote:

null24
#59 Posted : 10/25/2021 3:03:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Tony6Strings wrote:
Null24, this spot contains amanitas every fall, although this last week's fruiting is prolific. I'm sure there are similar spots somewhere in pdx. Note the ground is covered in deciduous leaves. Not an evergreen anywhere on the block.

Those are absolutely gorgeous. I am hopefully heading to the coast soon to a known spot for them...

Oh yeah, they are here, I know that. They don't seem to be as prolific the last couple years though. All my usual spots for them have not produced.

This is illustrative of what I was finding a few years ago:
null24 attached the following image(s):
musci big.jpg (152kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Tony6Strings
#60 Posted : 10/25/2021 4:49:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, I saw that thread recently, found it doing a search. Those were some huge mushrooms!!

In other news, this casserole dish turned to soup in the oven. I've always had a harder time drying out the large caps which is why I pick bigger buttons now. These ones specifically were very wet from being rained on which never helps.
olympus mon wrote:

PREV1234NEXT