We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV789
Passifloras of Interest..(& MAOI plant Flavonoids) Options

nen888
#161 Posted : 1/6/2015 10:03:33 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

DreaMTripper wrote:
I smoked a small passiflora incarnata 1 skin joint and had a mild tea on a high dose of t.bridgesii montrose recently and experienced a large potentiation that produced rainbow like visuals. However once it had worn off it left a restless anxiety that I attributed to the GABA receptors being deactivated.
Both plants contain kampferol I believe which may have combined to potentiate the cacti alkaloids and what felt like other elements in the passiflora. Passiflora exerted its own character on the trip in the way of an organic and flowing feminine multicoloured landscapes, rooms tunnels and chutes, there were no visual entities just a feeling that there was a playful flirtacious prescence within the visuals. Will write a report soon the trip lasted 12 hours and was incredibly intense.
Is there a passiflora that doesnt have action on the (correction) GABA receptors? I feel that would make for a less nervy experience once some of the effects were wearing off.

..yes, very floral the images of passiflora incarnata Smile ..there is variation between different varieties (and sources) of P. incarnata, and some have more kampferol than others..
of the various passifloras i'm familiar with, the other one i recommended was P. coccinea..it's different to P. incarnata..and not all formally tested passifloras had kampferol..also, what you describe (nerviness) may be to do with synergistic effects with cactus alkaloids..?
thanks for the report DreaMTripper..

[Edit] also the interaction between Passiflora and even between some flavonoids or harmalas and cacti is not well understood or characterized..with tryptamines there has appeared, from known reports, no overly stimulating effect

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

DreaMTripper
#162 Posted : 1/6/2015 10:30:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think to a certain extent yes I certainly noticed it more, I felt the same as when the effects of diazepam wear off and I feel the same to a less noticeable extent with passiflora ingested on its own..a rebound anxiety. On cacti this was magnified to an uncomfortable level. Im reading it could be the chrysin it acts on the GABA receptors similar to diazepam, who knows..
Will take a look into that P. coccinea. Thumbs up

EDIT: After much integration Ive come to the conclusion that this rebound anxiety wasnt due to the passiflora it was simply the passiflora wearing off and revealing the underlying anxiety, a condition I have Generalised anxiety disorder.

DreaMTripper
#163 Posted : 2/22/2015 3:44:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A brief summary of the stages of my recent passiflora tea experience.

One teaspoon of high quality, (apparent high active content) dried passiflora incarnata. x2 cups, second cup consumed roughly 2 hrs after first.

.5-1 hr light sedation and calming
1-3 hrs heavy sedation, tranquill centred feeling, foggy thoughts maybe influenced by cannabis that was smoked
3-4hrs sleepy but very calm, music sounds great, house lights, tv etc quite harsh on the eyes.
--slept for 7-8hrs deep sleep--
Woke up quite groggy and sedated quality of sleep not so good, thinking is still a bit foggy
1hr after waking very calm and centred no fogginess in thinking processes.
8-16+ hrs calm,lucid and clear cognitions.

BundleflowerPower
#164 Posted : 6/5/2015 3:04:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So during the winter, I ordered a p. mortifolia plant. It's gotten quite large and makes fruit. It's very fast growing. Today I noticed that one fruit had ripened, so I decided to eat it. It was sweet at first, then bitter. I could taste the alkaloids in it. It was packed with seeds too btw. Anyway, after a few min I noticed harmala effects from this, but with a drowsy feeling. I've also smoked the leaves, alone and with cannibis, the effects seem comparable to caapi leaf to me. Perhaps I should make a brew with this as the maoi.
If this plant is as potent as I think it is, combined with the speed of it's growth, it could be an effective harmala source.

questions

1. Would it be safe to make wine from these fruits, with the alkaloids it contains? Seems to me it would make an amazing wine.

2. Has anyone else worked with this passiflora?

sauroman1
#165 Posted : 9/28/2015 1:39:00 PM

Anybody from Lisbon?

A lot of passionflower species but not sure which contain most MAOi. P. incarnata if I'am correct is best bet and these can grow in colder climates? But still has low MAOi content compared to syrian rue.

BundleflowerPower
#166 Posted : 9/28/2015 5:13:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

sauroman1 wrote:
A lot of passionflower species but not sure which contain most MAOi. P. incarnata if I'am correct is best bet and these can grow in colder climates? But still has low MAOi content compared to syrian rue.

Well everything has a low content compared to rue

BundleflowerPower
#167 Posted : 9/28/2015 9:28:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I still would say that mortifolia is the strongest passiflora I've tried. I mean just the fruit is enough to produce effects. In fact Im going outside now and pick some leaves to smoke on. And there's just no way to know that incanata is the most potent, not until the other 1000 spp are tested.

sesamstrasse1312
#168 Posted : 11/24/2015 3:49:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Has anyone heard of Passiflora maliformis and/or has info about alkaloid or flavonoid contents?

Wikipedia wrote:
Passiflora maliformis (sweet calabash, conch apple, wild purple passionfruit or sweet cup), is a smallish (2"Pleased passionfruit with purple, yellow or green skin and a grayed-yellow orange pulp that is aromatically scented and flavored. It is a fast-growing vine, growing best in somewhat cooler than tropical climates. The rind is particularly hard, and tougher than most passion fruits.

I've seen it in a shop and I'm wondering about. Looks like the fruit are kind of alike P. edulis, but the rind could have special attributes and therefore another quality, what do you think, Thumbs up or Thumbs down ?
The special interest would be that it should grow in colder regions than ordinary varieties...

downwardsfromzero
#169 Posted : 11/25/2015 8:36:25 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

IME a plant you feel attracted to is always worth investigating. Sorry, no actual information there, sesamstrasse, good luck with experiments.

2nd half of the binomial appears to mean "apple-shaped".

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Auxin
#170 Posted : 11/25/2015 10:03:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

P. maliformis is a synonym for P. alata.
P. alata is listed as having 0.02-0.08% harman in the leaves, along with lots of flavonoids as well as a bit of cyanogenic glycosides.
It sounds worth investigating, given a good boil.

SofaSwim
#171 Posted : 5/1/2019 2:54:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Passiflora alata Ait. Passifloraceae. "Granadilla". Fruit Edible (VAG).

Passiflora coccinea Aubl. Passifloraceae. "Costada sacha", "Granadilla agria", "Granadilla venenosa", "Red granadilla". Decoction taken 3 times a day for fever (VDF). Fruit and flower edible. A collurium for conjuctivitis is extracted from macerations (GMJ).

Passiflora edulis Sims. Passifloraceae. "Maracuyá', "Purple granadilla". Cultivated. Fruits edible. Brazilians on Rio tapajos drink the pure fruit juice for the heart (BDS), using the leaf tea as a sedative. (Fig. 174).

Passiflorafoetida Cas. Passifloraceae. "Bedoca", "Granadilla", "Ñorbocimarrón", "Puro puro". Fruit edible(VAG).

Passiflora ligularis Juss. Passifloraceae. "Granadilla", "Tumbo", "Sweet granadilla". In piuria, the lead decoction is considered an antimalarial, antipyretic, mucolytic, and stomachic. Fruits eated or boiled in decoction to prevent gallstones, rabies, ulcers, and yellow fever (FEO).

Passiflora quadrangularis L. Passifloraceae. "Tumbo", "Giant granadilla". Cultivated. Fruits edible; stems are considered poision; the leaves, roots and flowers abortifacient. "Chami" make an infusion to treat fractures and bruises (RVM). Elsewhere considered calmant, CNS-depressant, cardiodepressant, decongestant, depurative, emollient, narcotic, sedative; used for arthritis, diabetes, hoarseness, hypertension, inflammation, liver ailments, neuralgia, sorethroat, and uvulitis (DAW). Contains noradrenalin (JBH). (Fig. 175)

Passiflora vespertillo L. Passifloraceae. "Cheshteya", "Granadilla", "Yacu granadilla". Fruits edible (RVM). Vapors from leaf decoction used for rheumatic pain (VDF).

Source
Duke, James A., and Rodolfo Vasquez. Amazonian Ethnobotanical Dictionary. CRC Press, 1994.

twitchy
#172 Posted : 7/4/2019 9:20:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm still new here, but apparently it's ok to discuss sources for live plants and seeds, so after reading this thread I figured you guys would enjoy this link. Several pages of different Passifloras, make sure to hit the 'next page' button. Don't know jack about the site, but they sure have a hell of a selection, some of which I had never heard of before along with great pics and information.

http://www.buyrareseeds....n-seed/passiflora-seeds/

After looking through some of these, I think I'm going to get some Passiflora quadrangularis Erotica as a gag-gift for the wife Big grin

If you're planning on planting P. incarnata, I can tell you from my experience (zone 7b) that it is extremely tenacious and prolific. It spreads from the roots, and within a couple of years you will wish you hadn't planted it next to anything important. Mine are only three years old and I'm already constantly having to pull it off of other plants. My neighbor has some that have been growing for decades and in the summer, her home's south facing exterior is completely covered with vines. The smell of the flowers is absolutely incredible, and the fruit somehow manages to be sour and bitter at the same time. Alot of old timers around here call them maypops and make jelly with them, but I don't care for the fruit myself. It doesn't seem to give much of a damn about soil conditions as long as it isn't mud or constantly wet, and seems to love full sun. Hope that helps someone...

As a side note, just wanted to say wow, this is a great thread and a revelation of sorts for those of us who have an interest in growing these beautiful vines. Thumbs up
Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.

DesertWasabi
#173 Posted : 10/17/2021 7:29:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A couple of years ago, during his travels through SA, SWIM once had a glass of random Passionfruit juice sold in the street in a Bolivian town, which tasted a bit weird/aged. This was consumed at aprox. 1900 hrs.

After around 2-3 hours of the consumption, and lasting for probably 3-4 hours SWIM wasn't able to sleep (got into and out of it constantly, similar to what happens when one has very high fever), and fell into a weird semi-lucid, dreamlike state bordering with a delirium with random visuals of mixed dreams/reality.

SWIM suspects that either the fruit or seeds (which were mixed with it) had some mild psychoactive properties, or the juice itself was a bit fermented from long storage, which might had potentiated whatever alkaloids were present naturally there, which seems interesting.

In any case, whatever it was, it was active orally.

SWIM researched the species of the region, in case there was something weird available that was used in that juice. Besides the common edible species (Edulis, incarnata , cincinnata) SWIM came across a document which contained around a dozen of local passifloras. SWIM stopped his research there.attaching the screenshots here in case it results useful to anyone for ID or research purposes.

Espurrr
#174 Posted : 1/8/2023 6:01:18 PM

loved reading through these posts, and something i noticed was most of these flavonoids discussed here are also aromatase inhibitors which regulate androgens

nen888
#175 Posted : 3/7/2023 12:35:21 PM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..Espurrr wrote:
Quote:
loved reading through these posts, and something i noticed was most of these flavonoids discussed here are also aromatase inhibitors which regulate androgens
.. that's another activity worth noting, yes...i’m glad you had a nice experience…this was a nice thread to be involved in Smile,
in part due to the beauty of these climbers…which is very much reflected in
DesertWasabi’s post - so lovely to see some of these species, thank you! ..I’m sorry I didn’t see this till recently to acknowledge it..some interesting new ones to look at there

twitchy…yeah they’re very engaging and alluring plants to work with as an interest

and well belated acknowledgement to
SofaSwim, good information on uses, thank you
Auxin and sesamstrasse1312. . P. Maliformis noted…I look forward to hearing more

and BundleflowerPower, very interesting report on mortifolia, has there been any developments?
Truly ‘medicine fruit’…

A beautiful thing about Passifloras is their visual 'language' - they allure, to hidden treasures within...

There are so many natural varieties as well as cultivars of this pretty genus that we would expect to still only be at the tip of the iceberg of phytochemical possibilities and variances in them..At least one species is considered an entheogen in it’s own right by some indigenous South American traditions…

Flavonoids still need proper investigation of their MAOI activity in humans (as does the MAOI potency of whole P. Incarnata aqueous solutions) …Many passionflower flavonoids are highly anxiolytic, but also have a range of CNS activities, including mild perceptual…As anti anxiety medicines alone these plants are incredibly useful,
as well as often delicious, sometimes intoxicating, and gracious..

Thanks everyone
nen888 attached the following image(s):
Grandilla var..jpg (33kb) downloaded 156 time(s).

nen888
#176 Posted : 10/1/2023 7:16:48 AM
member for the trees

..i'm especially fond of Passifloras, so I wanted to round off my contribution to this thread, and era of the nexus, with an Experimental report (which is also earlier in the thread, but the info is arranged differently here for clarity) ..I'm restating it partly because in all the years since this, i have yet to hear a report of someone even attempting to replicate it

This would be my idea of a fairly under-utilised natural gift to the community...because i think anyone who actually achieves this will be very happy..

And thanks to all who contributed to this thread, some of who provide the only available Passiflora bioassy experiment reports, which are still few and far between..and of course the majority of Passiflora species remain not phytochemically studied.. wellness to all of you, and your plants

A Passionflower Experiment

Year: 1994
Participants: 2
Ages: 24, 26
Material:
Passionflower (P. incarnata) dried herb + extracted DMT/NMT

Method and Preparation:

A hypothetical guestimate dose of 333grams was established for P. incarnata based on findings of 0.1-0.2% harmala alkaloids - harmine, harmaline, harman, norharman and harmol (Hultin, Gracie & Zarkov) [see Research Note later]. This was also to allow for variation, and also that there were multiple harmalas reported , that may not all have equivalent MAOI activity to harmaline.

800grams of Passionflower herb (stem & spirals) was covered in water and boiled 3 x 45 mins. The combined liquids were reduced in volume by rapid boiling evaporation, and filtered at approx 50% volume. The liquid was reduced until one dose was equivalent to a standard coffee/tea mug worth of dark brown/purple syrup/sludge which was unfilterable at this point. Slightly over a dose was consumed at nightfall following semi fasting for the day (only yeast free bread was consumed in small amounts).
At 5 mins, approx 50mg of DMT/NMT freebase (which had been extracted from acacia previously) was swiftly swallowed with a very small amount of water. Noticeable sedative or anxiolytic effects were felt within 10mins.

Effects:

Both participants felt initial narcotic sedation and slight visual acuity changes from the Passiflora, which became strong, and pleasant unto themselves. However at 1 hour following ingestion of tryptamines there were still no obvious tryptamine effects, only some occasional faint glints or sparkles, which may have been purely the passiflora. It was discussed whether or not consume further passionflower (of which there was little left) and/or tryptamines, but the pleasant body sedation made some procrastination occur.

At 90mins fairly rapidly, distinct tryptamine visual effects, geometries, and body load began to rise over a few minutes, with a peak-plateau of 30-40mins. One participant briefly purged, the other did not. There was some full body and mind immersion in different, colourful and bright landscapes, alive, sometimes floral, and evolving/inter-twining.

The tryptamines visuals were described by both participants as among the most colourful and beautiful they had ever experienced. The passiflora playfully wove it's beautiful organic forms around the tryptamine geometries like a vine wraps around a tree. Purple and gold hues abounded, and a kind of glow or pleasing haze that permeated the space, and feminine nature.

Tryptamine effects gradually diminished over 2-3hrs. A noticeable Passiflora 'anti-depressant' and 'dreaminess' effect continued through until morning.

One participant noted that they had recently read an account (Luna) of a south American curandero being asked why they added chacruna to the caapi brew..they replied 'to make the visions more colourful'. When asked why they added a Passiflora species, the reply was 'to make the visions even more colourful'.

Research Notes:

Eskil Hultin found 0.1-0.2% harmala alkaloids (see p1) in P. incarnata, however a number of more recent published results failed to find alkaloids other than in trace amounts. This may be due to strain , or methodology of extraction. Some of these low level studies utilised room temperature short (5-30min) dilute acid extraction, probably not effective. But also Grice et al (2002) found that levels of harmalas in passiflora could vary depending on what stage of growth cycle they were harvested.

Additionally, in some instances commercial herb sold as Passionflower (P. Incarnata) has reportedly in fact been P. caerulea, which has been found to contain Harmaline at levels of 0.98mg/g, which would equate to 294mg from 300grams of plant material. (see Frye & Haustein ref at end)

It is also possible that flavonoids, which have been found at 1.5% in the plant were partly, or entirely, responsible for the apparent successful MAO inhibiton and visual modulation. As discussed in the thread some flavonoids have MAOI activity approaching the range of harmalas (in terms of IC50 values) .

If purchasing commerical dried passiflora, beware a large number of sources of dried passionflower herb are re-sellers and charge very high prices. Find true wholesalers. Those who can grow the plant can experiment with seasonal and growth stage variation.
Note also that 'passionflower' usually denotes the leaf, stem and spirals, not actually the flowers...

Obviously there is a good chance of running into variance. One method of determining the alkaloid content of Passiflora, prior to attempting a high dose oral ingestion, is to do this simple extraction experiment - Soak finely chopped dried Passiflora stem & spiral (eg 50-70grams) in ethanol for 2-7 days, then finely filter (effectively making a tincture). Then reduce to around 200ml and run an A/B extraction with acetic acid, NaOH & NP solvent. It is recommended to extract several (3-4) times at successively increasing pH between pH 8 - 12 . In fact different pHs have been used to separate different harmala alkaloids from each other. The result will give an idea if there is a level of alkaloid in the particular material which could contribute to effects. This method has successfully extracted harmala alkaloids from commercial herbalist Passiflora tincture, as well as some wild species.

Conclusions:

Passiflora, when successfully used to activate oral tryptamines, stands as a unique gate-keeper, different in quality to either Rue or Caapi. This experiment found it to be the most colourful, the most narcotic/sedative, and also the least 'serious' in tone, of the three. On its own, in higher dosages it is a strong relaxant with some visual activity. As a spirit it was said by the participants to feel younger or more faye-like, or 'angelic/devic' (said one participant), than Caapi or Rue, which added a certain kind of purity, as well as playfulness to the experience.

The effects, MAO inhibition threshold, and subjective quality will probably vary with different strains, and relative changes in alkaloid and flavonoid ratios.

References:
- given throughout the thread,
+ Extraction, Identification, and Quantification of Harmala Alkaloids in Three Species of Passiflora, Abigail Frye and Catherine Haustein, American Journal Of Undergraduate Research . 6, NO. 3 (2007)

A truly sensual and beautiful plant, both within and without..
pictured - electron microscopic images of Passiflora incarnata pollen
nen888 attached the following image(s):
Passi pollen .jpg (82kb) downloaded 102 time(s).

«PREV789