CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cleaning air. DIY air cleaners. Options
 
justB612
#1 Posted : 10/10/2021 1:24:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member

Posts: 361
Joined: 23-Apr-2016
Last visit: 28-Sep-2022
Hey Nexus. Anyone has good reliable sources on how to make effective and cheap air cleaners at home please?
A second chance? Huh... I thought I was on my fifth.

 

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.
 
roninsina
#2 Posted : 10/10/2021 2:39:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 401
Joined: 31-May-2014
Last visit: 11-Jul-2022
Location: The confluence
IME most DIYers just buy the best store bought manufactured filters that they can afford and force the air they want cleaned through them. I think really any box or tube or what have you is suitable as long as you seal it well and protect the finer filters with the courser ones and have a fan that can handle a little flow restriction.

Sorry if you’re asking for specific schematics and cfm’s and amps and such. Maybe somebody will chime in soon.
"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and knows." Robert Frost

 
Dirty T
#3 Posted : 10/10/2021 7:35:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 350
Joined: 21-Aug-2021
Last visit: 16-May-2022
Location: The Bible Belt
I built a "Laminar" Flow hood using a 120qt tub, a fan, a 6qt tub packed full of polyfil as a pre-filter, a purple allergen 3m filter (as a face to disrupt airflow, a trash bag, some gorilla tape, some tubing, hardware and silicone. Works awesome. I have 0% fail rate on cultures done in front of it. I have thoroughly tested it using the "incense and bottle test" and there are no eddies or vortices.

What kind of "filter" are you trying to set up? My flow hood 'scrubs' about a 2 cubic foot area (the size of my workspace.) For the money if you are trying to do your whole house you can "stack" filters (the purple 3m have anecdotal evidence of being very effective when triple stacked. Many people were using them during Covid. It "purified" the air without damaging the HVAC blower motor)
 
downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 10/10/2021 8:44:18 PM

Boundary Condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Posts: 7104
Joined: 30-Aug-2008
Last visit: 28-Sep-2022
Location: square root of minus one
Dirty T wrote:
I built a "Laminar" Flow hood using a 120qt tub, a fan, a 6qt tub packed full of polyfil as a pre-filter, a purple allergen 3m filter (as a face to disrupt airflow, a trash bag, some gorilla tape, some tubing, hardware and silicone. Works awesome. I have 0% fail rate on cultures done in front of it. I have thoroughly tested it using the "incense and bottle test" and there are no eddies or vortices.

What kind of "filter" are you trying to set up? My flow hood 'scrubs' about a 2 cubic foot area (the size of my workspace.) For the money if you are trying to do your whole house you can "stack" filters (the purple 3m have anecdotal evidence of being very effective when triple stacked. Many people were using them during Covid. It "purified" the air without damaging the HVAC blower motor)

That's very inspiring to hear!

Do you have a schematic to share? And a parts list, maybe?
Did you pleat the filter material?




“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli
 
justB612
#5 Posted : 10/10/2021 10:12:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member

Posts: 361
Joined: 23-Apr-2016
Last visit: 28-Sep-2022
Thanks for the replies. Anyone has any videos, courses, or any other external resources maybe?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5APw_SLUU

This looks interesting but I am not sure how true this is.



This one is a new video, looks also interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw7fUMhNov8
A second chance? Huh... I thought I was on my fifth.

 
Dirty T
#6 Posted : 10/11/2021 1:15:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 350
Joined: 21-Aug-2021
Last visit: 16-May-2022
Location: The Bible Belt
downwardsfromzero wrote:
Dirty T wrote:
I built a "Laminar" Flow hood using a 120qt tub, a fan, a 6qt tub packed full of polyfil as a pre-filter, a purple allergen 3m filter (as a face to disrupt airflow, a trash bag, some gorilla tape, some tubing, hardware and silicone. Works awesome. I have 0% fail rate on cultures done in front of it. I have thoroughly tested it using the "incense and bottle test" and there are no eddies or vortices.

What kind of "filter" are you trying to set up? My flow hood 'scrubs' about a 2 cubic foot area (the size of my workspace.) For the money if you are trying to do your whole house you can "stack" filters (the purple 3m have anecdotal evidence of being very effective when triple stacked. Many people were using them during Covid. It "purified" the air without damaging the HVAC blower motor)

That's very inspiring to hear!

Do you have a schematic to share? And a parts list, maybe?
Did you pleat the filter material?

I will share the schematic and parts list sometime soon when I get around to it. I've been super busy lately. I was supposed to do a MHRB extraction TEK on another site this weekend with information about purity, polymorphisms and polymerization by request and still haven't got to it. That place is a storm of misinformation and I've been asked to contribute some solid information.
 
roninsina
#7 Posted : 10/13/2021 2:24:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member


Posts: 401
Joined: 31-May-2014
Last visit: 11-Jul-2022
Location: The confluence
justB612 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Anyone has any videos, courses, or any other external resources maybe?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5APw_SLUU

This looks interesting but I am not sure how true this is.



This one is a new video, looks also interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw7fUMhNov8


I don’t see anything wrong with either video. The only thing I would mention is that those lower quality filters like they showed on This Old House are only about a us$ or two. It’s better to protect your HEPA filters with those and throw those cheap ones away as they get clogged and protect your HEPA’s with new cheapy’s again.

I think you should just go see what they have at the hardware stores in your area and brainstorm. If you can handle doing extractions, this is well within your limits. Thumbs up
"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and knows." Robert Frost

 
 
Users browsing this forum
Guest

DMT-Nexus theme created by The Traveler
This page was generated in 0.022 seconds.