We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Why use plastic wrap when putting pulls in the freezer? Options

Leithen
#1 Posted : 9/1/2021 10:56:50 PM

Be Here Now

I just got done doing several extractions via Cyb's Tek. On two of the extractions I forgot to cover the dish in plastic wrap before putting it in the freezer.

I assumed something noticeable (and bad) would happen but left the dishes in the freezer anyways for about 14 hours. To my surprise, I noticed no difference between the dishes that had plastic wrap and the ones that did not. They all produced a normal yields and did not seem to have different rates of evaporation.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on why this step is included? My first thought was simply to avoid naptha fumes in your freezer but wasn't sure if there was anything related to the actual chemistry. Perhaps I can get rid of some plastic waste in the future...

Thanks in advanced!
“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Voidmatrix
#2 Posted : 9/1/2021 11:10:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

To my understanding (which is derived from the Nexus), it's to prevent solvent fumes from getting into your food and stuff.

I use a pyrex dish that comes with a plastic lid. So, no plastic waste.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Xt
#3 Posted : 9/3/2021 3:32:46 PM

It can taint your food. Thumbs down

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

PedroSanchez
#4 Posted : 9/5/2021 10:03:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

as people have said, it is good to help prevent fumes getting into the freezer. but it also helps keep possible contaminants out. even a piece of ice getting in there will be annoying to have to wait to evap when it comes to it. i prefer to keep them out from the beginning.

null24
#5 Posted : 9/6/2021 5:32:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also prevents condensation from getting all up in your schtuff.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

IridiumAndLace
#6 Posted : 9/24/2021 12:28:41 PM

Stardust in lingerie

Voidmatrix wrote:
To my understanding (which is derived from the Nexus), it's to prevent solvent fumes from getting into your food and stuff.

One love

I had that idea with my new Pyrex dish. I ruined my first pull in that dish when the heptane caused an oily substance (plasticizer?) to leach out of the lid and drip into my pull. Once it warmed to room temperature the lid warped badly and I eventually threw it away. Parafilm is prohibitively expensive, so it's back to plastic wrap for me.

Do you use naphtha rather than heptane, perchance? I assume Pyrex lids are all the same kind of plastic, so maybe this is a problem unique to heptane.

Metta-Morpheus
#7 Posted : 9/24/2021 12:52:55 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

Voidmatrix wrote:

Yeah, I’ve definitely ruined some food this way. Nothing like naptha flavored leftover lasagna!
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

Voidmatrix
#8 Posted : 9/24/2021 1:16:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

IridiumAndLace wrote:
Voidmatrix wrote:

One love

I had that idea with my new Pyrex dish. I ruined my first pull in that dish when the heptane caused an oily substance (plasticizer?) to leach out of the lid and drip into my pull. Once it warmed to room temperature the lid warped badly and I eventually threw it away. Parafilm is prohibitively expensive, so it's back to plastic wrap for me.

Do you use naphtha rather than heptane, perchance? I assume Pyrex lids are all the same kind of plastic, so maybe this is a problem unique to heptane.

Thank you for sharing that! Really good to know.

I do use naphtha, which may be why I've never experienced what you have.

Metta-Morpheus wrote:
Yeah, I’ve definitely ruined some food this way. Nothing like naptha flavored leftover lasagna!

Mmmm tasty Laughing

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

downwardsfromzero
#9 Posted : 9/24/2021 2:34:56 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Slight tangent, but I put some butyl acetate in my freezer (closed with parafilm, I might add) and all the ice cream ended up like banana flavour. Arguably, that's better than it tasting like paint thinners.

null24 wrote:
That's an important consideration worth highlighting. Nothing like having a big pile of lovely crystals in your dish and they all turn out to be ice!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

IridiumAndLace
#10 Posted : 9/25/2021 9:15:50 AM

Stardust in lingerie

downwardsfromzero wrote:
null24 wrote:
That's an important consideration worth highlighting. Nothing like having a big pile of lovely crystals in your dish and they all turn out to be ice!

Hey, on the bright side, at least it'd be really easy to vape! Big grin

Dirty T
#11 Posted : 9/25/2021 6:57:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I use an oven bag with a binder clip. The Pyrex pan fits perfectly. I twist the end and clip it off, have never gotten fumes in my food or ice in my tray, not once. Best part is they're reusable. I have used the same oven bag over and over. I'm not aure what type of plastic they're made from but they are food safe for extreme temperatures (I have used them in a PC for 3 hour cycles, no problems), I've never noticed any foreign materials leeched into my solvents even when a little bit splashes on the way in or out of the freezer. They seem not to degrade as well hence the reusability. Thought I would share a cheap, easy food grade solution.

M0K0
#12 Posted : 12/13/2021 2:57:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So when i put my loaded solvent in the freezer, i let it in there for a Minute so the warm air can leave the crystalization-glass, after that i put a lid or a foil over it.
Reason?
1) You dont want any stuff flying around your freezer into your solvent
2) Prevent your solvent from evaporating and having a fridge full of a highly flamable gas.
3) You dont want the air from around to condensate inside of your glas and then have frozen waterdroplets inside of your crystals.

love is out
If you smoke it right, you can't hold a pipe.

Jees
#13 Posted : 12/13/2021 6:38:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

M0K0 wrote:
...2) Prevent your solvent from evaporating and having a fridge full of a highly flamable gas...
Looks like a pretty darn good reason. Ruined food taste is one thing, airborne thanksgiving turkeys is another.