We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Frustrated. Options

Kartikay
#1 Posted : 1/29/2010 7:43:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So i finally received my pH detector in the mail, and it doesn't work! The calibrating solution is 7.0, but the detector says its over 10! Same with distilled water. I can't adjust it any lower than that. When I tried measuring the acidity of distilled water with some hydrochloric acid, it started flying around from 1.2 to 7.3 to 4.0 to 13.5 to 19.1! Yes, 19.1. Not even a valid number. BAH!

Looks like I'll have to just buy pH paper. Is that what anyone else uses?

I want to visit hyperspace!!
He led a double life. Did that make him a liar? He did not feel a liar. He was a man of two truths. - Murdoch, Dame [Jean] Iris

Kartikay is a character role that I play when I feel like escaping reality. Nothing I say under the pseudonym "Kartikay" reflects any of my actual life or personal history.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 1/29/2010 10:04:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM never used ph meter and neither ph papers in any of his extractions.. its really unnecessary for most of the extractions discussed here in the forum

antrocles
#3 Posted : 1/29/2010 10:48:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

man i just use the drops for pool ph testing. you know, the one with the color chart....i don't think you need to be crazy accurate as long as it's between 2 and 4 on the acid and above 11 on the base side of the operation.

Pleased

L&G!!
"Rise above the illusion of time and you will have tomorrow's
wisdom today."

Kartikay
#4 Posted : 1/29/2010 11:00:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

my local pool store only sells paper that changes color to detect between 6.2 and higher. But i'll just hop on amazon and find some. I wouldn't worry, but I don't even have a way to tell that the acid is between 2 and 4!
He led a double life. Did that make him a liar? He did not feel a liar. He was a man of two truths. - Murdoch, Dame [Jean] Iris

Kartikay is a character role that I play when I feel like escaping reality. Nothing I say under the pseudonym "Kartikay" reflects any of my actual life or personal history.

endlessness
#5 Posted : 1/29/2010 11:18:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

still no need for ph measuring I would say.. the alkaloids are naturally in salt form in the plant, so they are soluble even with pure water (just look at how aya is brewed traditionally, no acid added). Whenever SWIM did an A/B he just splashed a bit of vinegar in the water with mimosa, that was always enough

but of course, do whatever you feel better with

Bill Cipher
#6 Posted : 1/29/2010 11:22:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Try new batteries. They tend to do what you're describing when the batteries get low, and the ones that came with the unit are probably old and shitty.

Kartikay
#7 Posted : 1/30/2010 12:05:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

@endlessness: I thought I needed a pH of 2-4 for the first step. I'm using Volvin's tek... I feel like if I don't have a good acid then I won't get a good yield. But I'm no expert... I just want my first try to work, ya'know? I suppose I have enough mimosa to waste 50g or so... I bought half a kilo lol.

@AVD: that's actually a solid idea to try before wasting any more money. on it.

Spock's Brain
#8 Posted : 1/30/2010 3:31:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

buy a new ph meter - they can easily be defective, and then keep the sensor part wet all the time, don't let it dry out.
"Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations."

Bill Cipher
#9 Posted : 1/30/2010 4:26:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

True you won't get a good yield if you don't get the brew acidic, but it's not so much of a trick to get it below 4 (which is really all you need). 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar will do the trick. If in doubt, just add a bit more.

Really, though, I'll bet it's your batteries. Mine did the same thing the day I bought it. Swapped em out and it works just fine.

endlessness
#10 Posted : 1/30/2010 9:20:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I dont mean to keep insisting but.. did anybody ever do a side-by-side extraction to see if indeed not having pH below 4 will really be a problem? back when he was still using naphtha, SWIM has done A/Bs and definitely using less than 1/4 vinegar and he had yields of 1%. In a side-by-side extraction with an STB and an A/B both yielded the same, around 1%, and when doing an A/B also using very little vinegar he got around 1,5% using limonene. So at least in SWIM's experience doesnt seem like his yield was being negatively affected. As I said, dmt in mimosa is naturally in a water soluble form (dmt tannate possibly).. The acid in SWIM's opinion is important if you are using some slightly basic tap water or something, but even in this case a splash or two of vinegar or a bit of whatever acid should be enough.

Im not saying you shouldnt acidify, it definitely wont hurt if you do, but all im saying is that you definitely dont have to worry too much about it, you can start your process without a pH meter.. Also unless people here have really done side-by-side extractions showing that less acid definitely makes smaller yield, then I will keep thinking that claims of smaller yields from less acidic water is just an intuitive opinion but not really true.

Dimitrius
#11 Posted : 1/30/2010 12:06:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

1 drop 10% phosphoric acid solution per 94.625ml distilled h2o = pH 3

or 20 drops per 1/2 gallon (1892.5ml) h20

or 40 drops per 1 gallon (3785ml) h20

Got these figures from the Hummingbird Tek at the Ayahuasca Forums.

http://forums.ayahuasca....hpbb/viewtopic.php?t=851

Got some good sources for food-grade phos acid if yah need em'.....pm.
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi