We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Snails are eating all my vegetables. Options

dragonrider
#1 Posted : 8/20/2021 7:12:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Due to excessive rainfall this year, my kitchen garden is now infested with snails. They are eating away all my vegetables.

I don't realy want to use poison, but i'm getting a bit desperate.

Does anybody here know an effective way to get rid of these slimey pests?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

DansMaTete
#2 Posted : 8/20/2021 8:05:42 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

French people

« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

Tomtegubbe
#3 Posted : 8/20/2021 8:05:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My grandpa used beer to lure them in the garden. If the snails won't take your catch, you can take it yourself. You can get rid of your sorrows either way...
My preferred method:
Very easy pharmahuasca recipe

My preferred introductory article:
Just a Wee Bit More About DMT, by Nick Sand

endlessness
#4 Posted : 8/20/2021 8:08:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I tried copper wire and it did not work, last year I barely ate any of my strawberries. This year for some reason I've not had any so I've been able to harvest most strawberries intact.

I've read about using beer to attract/kill them, or eggshells they don't like walking on, or salt (though that'd be blown off by wind or water and if it's a lot and goes to the ground might hurt the plants).. Never tried any of these tips though.

One thing that did help is simply going in the evening around the veggie garden when they show up and removing them manually.. Didn't remove them all I'm sure but seemed to reduce the problem.

Good luck, and let me know if anything works!

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 8/20/2021 10:16:59 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Get some hedgehogs somehow. Having ground cover and piles of twigs etc. encourages hedgehogs - although it also encourages slugs and snails equally much. Song thrushes like to eat snails so try to exterminate all the cats in your area /jk (?) Thrushes tend to use a large stone as an anvil for breaking the snails' shells.

With the recent wet weather, my garden has become overrun with large orange slugs. One evening it was possible to count over two dozen of them without much effort. My late strawberry harvest has been written off completely, although it's the smaller slugs and the woodlice that I typically find there. I guess the bigger slugs can't hide inside a hollow strawberry, however.

The big slugs are pretty interesting. They sometimes eat the small slugs, as well as dead members of their own kind. This means that stepping on one large slug will attract several more and the process could in principle carry on indefinitely. I do get a bit worried about the possible slugzilla zombie apocalypse though.

If planning to eat snails, apparently it's best to keep them in a tub of bran for a few days to clean out their digestive system.

If gathering snails, bear in mind that their shells can be roasted to produce lime for extraction experiments - although you'd need a LOT of snails.

Here's an article that may be of use:
https://homeguides.sfgat...-slugs-garden-81362.html
Quote:
pine, cedarwood and hyssop essential oils are the most effective at repelling slugs.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

pinkoyd
#6 Posted : 8/21/2021 2:02:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extraordinary knowledgeSenior Member

A dusting of diatomaceous earth will keep them at bay if not kill them. It's like walking on razor blades for them. Does need to be renewed after rains though.
I already asked Alice.

donfoolio
#7 Posted : 8/21/2021 11:31:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I Am a market gardener. For me the most effective way
Is collecting them after sunset - several days and they are off.
And keeping the garden clean. Wild herbs and graminacae are ideal spots
For them to hide. For me the only working solutions.
Arthur Dee was one of the greatest alchemists of all time, not likely to his dad, I forgot his name, this small James Bond sorcerer working for the queen of a... Hail Arthur!

Jagube
#8 Posted : 8/22/2021 6:58:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Won't diatomaceous earth alkalize the soil?

This year has been a snail bonanza for me too. They particularly love the leaves of my calamondin and Meyer lemon, and the flowers of the latter too.

dragonrider
#9 Posted : 8/26/2021 10:33:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for all the tips.

I'm hunting snails twice a day now, in the morning and in the evening, and their number is decreasing day by day.

They like apples, i've noticed. I've got a small appletree, and whenever an apple falls out now, i'm just gonna let it lie there.

There's always something like ten of them on and around each apple.

donfoolio
#10 Posted : 8/27/2021 8:06:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If you have the time, the space and fun with it, you could integrate Anas platyrhynchos domesticus in your garden. They love slugs.
Arthur Dee was one of the greatest alchemists of all time, not likely to his dad, I forgot his name, this small James Bond sorcerer working for the queen of a... Hail Arthur!

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 8/27/2021 10:27:53 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

dragonrider wrote:
Thanks for all the tips.

I'm hunting snails twice a day now, in the morning and in the evening, and their number is decreasing day by day.

They like apples, i've noticed. I've got a small appletree, and whenever an apple falls out now, i'm just gonna let it lie there.

There's always something like ten of them on and around each apple.

Ah yes, slug bait. I forgot to mention, when I had some mushrooms growing on woodchips in the garden I would leave a few halves of potato to keep the slugs off the carpophores. The hollowed-out potatoes would become slug hotels and make for easy pickings. With your apples it sounds like even that effort is spared.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Jagube
#12 Posted : 8/28/2021 4:27:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Slugs and snails, destructors of crops and gardens, could be controlled by bread dough

Quote:
Mc Donnell and his collaborators haven't determined yet why bread dough—a simple mixture of flour, water and yeast—attracts slugs and snails, but theorize that it is the fermentation process that draws them. They used a range of food in addition to bread dough to determine which would be the most attractive bait, including beer, cucumber, lettuce, strawberries, citrus, tomatoes, hostas and Marmite (a yeast-based food product popular in Great Britain).

"We gave them a choice of food and they consistently went for the bread dough," Mc Donnell said. "They really, really like it. They went bonkers for it. Bread dough outperformed everything."

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 8/28/2021 7:59:15 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

That's some smart thinking. Bread dough is the logical extension of the beer trap in a way, what with beer being known as liquid bread.

I wonder if a sourdough culture might work as a trap - then all one would need to do is mix up a flour/water paste and let nature take its course. Perhaps a thin but gloopy consistency might work to trap the marauding molluscs.