We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT - Diethyl ether solubility Options

SawdustAndHoney
#1 Posted : 7/26/2021 8:41:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi,
is anyone aware of any data on solubility of freebase DMT in diethyl ether? An interview with Nick Sand mentions that he used to dissolve 1kg (sic!) of the freebase into 2L of diethyl ether, but apart from that I never saw any info about the solubility.

Thanks in advance!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Fable
#2 Posted : 8/3/2021 6:02:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't have any information on Diethyl Ether but found the following table in a research document looking at extraction yields with different solvents.

Sample Organic Solvent DMT (mg/ml)
1 n-Hexane 0.22
2 Ethyl Acetate 1.28
3 Chloroform 2.03
4 n-Butanol 3.54
5 Dichloromethane 3.73

n-Hexane can be correlated with Shellite or Naptha.
I am a leaf on the the wind, watch how I soar!

SawdustAndHoney
#3 Posted : 8/3/2021 8:48:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, but it should be noted that this isn't solubility! I think the figures you gave are limited by the content of DMT in extraction material used. DCM dissolves the freebase very quickly and efficiently, I was able to extract quantities up to 8-9g with just one washing of 50ml DCM. Same for chloroform.

benzyme
#4 Posted : 8/5/2021 1:29:27 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

sawdust, y'ol' sonuvab!tch...nice to see you around here. Big grin

the logp of diethylether is listed as 0.9, making it more polar than dmt (logp of 2.5).
It's fairly soluble in diethyl ether, and very useful for crystallization...especially when used with pet ether or hexanes, 1:8.

aniracetam

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

SawdustAndHoney
#5 Posted : 8/6/2021 9:26:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice to see you here as well Smile
Thanks, I'll eventually get around to experimenting with the ether/petet recrystallizations.