We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
a word about balance accuracy Options

benzyme
#1 Posted : 1/23/2010 11:27:18 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

even though some cheap scales have readability to ~0.002g, it should be assumed that the accuracy for the third decimal point is not very good.
when dealing with potent compounds (i.e. 5-MeO-DMT, etc.) which have doses in the low milligram range (up to 10mg), this is of some concern.
when one has an instrumental limitation such as this, the scientific approach would be creating solutions (dilutions, if necessary):
weigh a mass of 10x a normal dosage, and dissolve with solvent (if the compound is a salt, solvent could be water, ethanol, etc.).
make sure the solute is thoroughly dissolved and in solution before taking an aliquot.

so if a compound is active at 1 or mg, weigh 10g and dissolve in 10ml water, thoroughly mix. now you can take 1mL aliquots. of course, one should be aware of the solubility of the solute in the solvent.

required: mg scale, mL pipette
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

gammagore
#2 Posted : 1/23/2010 11:29:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice one benzymeSmile

Thanks

benzyme
#3 Posted : 1/23/2010 11:35:55 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

anytime Cool

this is most likely the method by which L is distributed, serial dilutions.
balances which could accurately weigh micrograms would cost in the tens of thousands. $$$$$
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Oncewas
#4 Posted : 1/24/2010 5:09:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Measurement Uncertainty, Significant Digits, etc.

It's fun breathing on milligram scales and watching them change.

True words though benzyme, I'm learning about this in class right now. Boring but actually very important to do accurate research.

Angel_Above
#5 Posted : 1/25/2010 12:11:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Sorry to threadjack, but this question is on-topic.

I have a milligram scale. It comes with 5 and 10g calibration weights.

I tried weighing various dollar bills (some in much worse condition than others because of wear-and-tear) and one 1 dollar bill weighed 1.045 grams. Another weighed 1.000. Another weighed .978 (I tested and retested the weight of the dollar bills, each of them having the same respective weight as the first weigh-in.

I thought it was a problem with my scale so I went to calibration weights. Put the 10g weight on, and it was 10.005
the 5 gram one was 5.000

benzyme
#6 Posted : 1/25/2010 12:39:00 AM

analytical chemist

calibrate before weighing, then repeat weighings.

a good mg scale will have deviation of less than +/- 0.005g, typically around +/- 0.002.

benzyme
#7 Posted : 1/27/2010 5:21:18 PM

analytical chemist

after calibrating an AMW-DIA 10 (american weigh), 100ul of ddH20 was placed on a weighing tray (tared) with an Eppendorf Research 100 micropipette, the mass shown was exactly 0.100g. 96.6uL was then drawn and added to the tared tray, the mass fluctuated between 0.096 and 0.097g.

conc: these scales are reasonably accurate

Infundibulum
#8 Posted : 1/27/2010 5:52:26 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

mmm....I love my microlitre pipettes!

Mind you benzyme, pipettes need calibration too, and you use a balance to do that!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Pandora
#9 Posted : 1/27/2010 7:11:44 PM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

benzyme,

Thanks man! Great post with an elegant, easy to follow, logical procedure.

Peace & Love,
Pandora
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

benzyme
#10 Posted : 1/28/2010 12:23:02 AM

analytical chemist

Infundibulum wrote:
mmm....I love my microlitre pipettes!

Mind you benzyme, pipettes need calibration too, and you use a balance to do that!

yeah, I know
but the Epps are damn accurate in their own rite, little maintenance needed; by far my fav pipette.

soxy bastard
#11 Posted : 1/28/2010 4:02:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
anytime Cool

this is most likely the method by which L is distributed, serial dilutions.
balances which could accurately weigh micrograms would cost in the tens of thousands. $$$$$

L is sold by the tenth g and weighed on analytical balances to the tenth. a g is sold as a ten pack of crystal.After 5g it is sold bulk crystal.
One tenth will make a ten pack of sheets(a book)
1g will make 100sheets(a bible)

Serial dilutions are usually from tenths for vials of liquid.

FWIW
SB

benzyme
#12 Posted : 1/28/2010 8:10:42 PM

analytical chemist

people probably have different methods from maker to maker.
the tenth method probably omits column work, adding to the mass with the extra stereoisomers

IMO, people who make L should at least use a balance that has resolution to 0.0001g.

soxy bastard
#13 Posted : 1/28/2010 10:27:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
people probably have different methods from maker to maker.
the tenth method probably omits column work, adding to the mass with the extra stereoisomers

IMO, people who make L should at least use a balance that has resolution to 0.0001g.

This is the method for family acid,all family acid. No short cuts are taken on column work with family acid. the tenth method is because very few tenth to 1g customers have microgram balances. Only selling in exact tenths to 5g assures the buyer at least has the means to purchase a good analytical balance if they are buyiing over 5g. and do not need one for lesser quantities as they are precisely wieghed prior to purchase for dilution work.
SB

benzyme
#14 Posted : 1/28/2010 11:05:34 PM

analytical chemist

soxy bastard wrote:
No short cuts are taken on column work with family acid.

if that were truly the case, there wouldn't be any amber liquid on the streets.

soxy bastard
#15 Posted : 1/28/2010 11:49:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
soxy bastard wrote:
No short cuts are taken on column work with family acid.

if that were truly the case, there wouldn't be any amber liquid on the streets.

The amber family acid and the lavender have admittedly degraded in quality but then they never were quality products and have been handled as second rate for decades.Those who produce family silver,fluff and needle point are professional at every point to delivery and the methods have not changed.I cannot speak for "other" vendor /producers as my experience has been with old school acid families and BOEL , the franchise is pulled if "other methods" are used.
SB

benzyme
#16 Posted : 1/29/2010 12:07:22 AM

analytical chemist

it's rather amusing how much ritual and myth surround the L, the most ridiculous being the "week long trip" claim behind thumbprints.

anyway, a semi-micro balance (0.0001g) can be acquired for about $1200. it's a very accurate way of measuring out milligrams
otherwise, a cheap mg scale and a micropipette can do the job very effectively

whiterasta
#17 Posted : 1/29/2010 12:50:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
it's rather amusing how much ritual and myth surround the L, the most ridiculous being the "week long trip" claim behind thumbprints.

I 'printed' and you are right the 'trip' really is over after three days. It is the after effects which persist about two weeks.With proper reintegration it is the reason for the print.At least for myself after the 72hr shit yerself in yer piss puddle was over I was gently reschooled on perception and desire as I came out of the mental fugue state.After word I had no more painful emotional baggage over an abusive childhood or personal loss of many friends and family in Viet Nam and soon took up my studies with new vigor and perspective.
High dose DOM lasts longer with much longer mental recuperation time than a solid print but has none of the healing/transformative power of LSD.
Sorry to go off topic, apologies if it was uncool.
WR
"It seems that everything I knew was just a lie
A love, a hope, a dream, but what is that to you?
I can hold it in while I live, but it comes out when I die
The tragedy of truth, the liberties of lies
I see three sides to the coin as I flip it past my eyes
tossed from hand to hand you choose tails and I choose side."
Jimmy Haha

benzyme
#18 Posted : 1/29/2010 1:38:40 AM

analytical chemist

nah, that's quite alright
good post. Cool