We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Seeing fractals after head injury Options

Praxis.
#1 Posted : 7/29/2021 8:09:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

One of my guilty pleasures is watching true crime on youtube. I just started a video that begins with the story of a man who was attacked outside of a bar, and as a result of his head injuries he now sees fractals everywhere and is considered a savant/mathematical genius. I couldn't help but pause the video and look up this guys name, and I feel like you'll all also find this really interesting.

Quote:
But while Padgett was experiencing all these negative consequences from his attack, something incredible was happening too. The way Jason was seeing things changed.

“Everything that was curved looked like it was slightly pixelated,” he explains. “Water coming down the drain didn’t look like it was a smooth, flowing thing anymore, it looked like these little tangent lines.”

The same thing happened with clouds, sunlight streaming between trees and puddles. To Padgett, the world essentially looked like a retro video game. Seeing such a radically different view of his surroundings evoked conflicting emotions in Padgett. “I was surprised…confused. It was beautiful but it was also scary at the same time.”

Because of these visions, Padgett began to think about huge questions in relation to mathematics and physics. Given his hermit-like existence at that time, the internet became a valuable source of information to him as he read extensively about mathematics online.

He stumbled across a webpage about fractals which struck a chord with him. It’s a difficult mathematical concept which, put at its most basic, can be likened to a snowflake. When you zoom in, you will see it’s made up of smaller snowflakes connected together, zoom in again and those snowflakes are made of smaller snowflakes, and so on until infinity.

Padgett felt compelled to explore this intriguing concept further. So, he began to draw. And he kept drawing.

Padgett believed his drawings “held the key to the universe” and were so important that he needed to take them everywhere with him.

“I would always describe that math was shapes not numbers and that was the first time I’d heard anybody but me talk about what numbers looked like,” says Padgett.

He scoured the internet for more information and came across Berit Brogaard, a cognitive neuroscientist now at the University of Miami. The pair spent hours talking on the phone and from these conversations, Brogaard hypothesised that Padgett had synaesthesia – essentially a cross-wiring of the brain in which the senses get mixed up.

“I see it [beauty] everywhere,” he says. He is mesmerised by simple things that most people don’t even notice such as raindrops falling on a puddle.

Through Padgett’s eyes, the puddle is transformed into complex rippling patterns, overlapping and forming shapes like stars or snowflakes. And he wants everyone else to see what he sees.

“You should be walking around in absolute amazement at all times that reality even exists,” he says. “I’m having this mathematical awakening and all around us is absolute magic or about as close as you can get to magic.”

His name is Jason Padgett and his drawings are very precise fractals and mandalas, done from memory. Here's the full article I've quoted from.

I couldn't help but share here, I'm not sure what it could mean in regards to psychedelics but I think it's fascinating.
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Tomtegubbe
#2 Posted : 7/29/2021 10:48:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds similar to the candy land effect many of us have experienced. The phenomenon is so consistent that I think it could be researched through brain imagining. There must be something happening on the visual cortex because you really see those things and it's not just an interpretation.
My preferred method:
Very easy pharmahuasca recipe

My preferred introductory article:
Just a Wee Bit More About DMT, by Nick Sand

Spiralout
#3 Posted : 7/29/2021 4:17:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very interesting; thanks for sharing that.

I definitely have experienced similar, particularly on lsd, rather than any other psychedelic. To implications of reality and math, geometry, life, etc are infinite (of course, and inarticulable for me).

Thumbs up