CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV89101112NEXT»
The Art of Art Van D'lay Options

Bill Cipher
#181 Posted : 7/20/2021 5:21:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So what is there to say then about this smelly old bag of bones?

Clearly he's a judgmental bastard who can shame one into submission, but when I was working on him he was throwing off definite Scottish serial killer vibes. I imagined him prowling the streets of Glasgow in a grimy Econoline van, luring small children into the back and dismembering them thusly.

Now, I'm thinking he looks like a sea captain, so maybe I had him all wrong. Could be he's just a tragic soul with a complicated past and acne.
Bill Cipher attached the following image(s):
Turnip Faced Goat Monster - Greys.jpg (2,131kb) downloaded 226 time(s).

Trippy glass for trippy people.

Bill Cipher
#182 Posted : 7/21/2021 6:38:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What you need to know is that in his world all toddler males are forced to endure a horrific bloodletting rite, wherein the Book of Glarbnark is carved in their flesh in ancient heiroglyphics (see below). Those who survive grow up sworn to inflict that suffering on human children. Why they choose humans (or Glasgow, specifically) I'm afraid I can't explain.

Or maybe I'm wrong and he is just some kindly old sea captain after all...
Turnip Faced Goat Monster - Color.jpg (3,267kb) downloaded 216 time(s).

Voidmatrix
#183 Posted : 7/21/2021 6:41:03 PM

Surrender and BE free

Welcoming committeeModerator

When you first started sharing these with us, I was so intrigued that I searched Google for more. I saw this one and it's probably my favorite. Also thanks for giving us an opportunity to get the NFT game.

One love
Chop Wood: Carry Water

Question everything... including questioning everything...
There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
The only safe place is the choice you make
All posts, responses, ideas and supposed experiences are that of an imaginary interdimensional being . This being comes to you with the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. That being said, everything posted must, perhaps, be taken lightly and with a grain of salt. 👽

Bill Cipher
#184 Posted : 7/21/2021 7:33:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You betcha and thank you. I don't expect folks here to jump into the crypto world for me, but if you're so inclined there will be inexpensive opportunities, and I'm happy to help anyone who is get set up with wallets and currencies.

To that end, Clubhouse is key. It's kind of like the DMT-Nexus of NFT information, and I've got a few invites available if anyone would like one. I'm on there constantly, listening, learning, talking about my work, etc., so if anyone is curious, just DM me. I'm happy to help with all of it.

This NFT thing is a funny animal. It's a never before seen opportunity for digital artists such as myself to actually earn a living, but the same kind of gatekeeping which occurs in the traditional art world exists there as well. I'm navigating it as best I can in a manner that feels comfortable to me. A lot of artists are out there changing their styles to conform to the market. I won't do that, so getting where I want to go is going to be a longer play.

The thing to understand is that a lot of this from the collectors' perspective is straight up commodities trading. What people are buying are shares in an artist they believe will increase in value. I'm just doing my thing on all my own terms, waiting on the whales to get wise and get on me whenever they see fit. I've got time. I can wait em out. I'm not in any hurry. As you can see I've got a ton of work, and will be building up my 1/1 catalog on a slow and steady basis. Most important to me is that I'm growing a platform, engaging with more and more people everyday, and putting work out on the blockchain that I can be proud to have outlive me.

That's the idea anyway. It's been a fun ride so far. I've met a lot of good people since starting down this road in early March, and for the most part it's a pretty supportive and forward thinking community. I'd recommend anyone who is curious about it (either as artist or collector) to dive in and give it a try. There are eco-friendly options and very few rules. Nothing is out of bounds.

Bill Cipher
#185 Posted : 7/22/2021 5:16:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh, who am I kidding? Of course he's bad. Just look how he wallpapers his apartment!!
Turnip Faced Goat Monster - Version1.jpg (5,700kb) downloaded 180 time(s).

acacian
#186 Posted : 7/23/2021 2:58:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bill Cipher wrote:
Oh, who am I kidding? Of course he's bad. Just look how he wallpapers his apartment!!

This ones great.

Bill Cipher
#187 Posted : 7/23/2021 8:10:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

acacian wrote:
This ones great.

Thank you very much. Sometimes it's the spontaneous in-between doodles that hold up over time.

These are some doodads I made very early on in my ZBrushing adventures. I won't be showing much at all from this period I don't think, but there are a few that hold up alright - mostly because they didn't entail any actual sculpting. Rather, they just consist of procedurally generated primitives which I then sort of collaged together in Photoshop. I haven't done anything similar since, but I still like these a little bit.
Doodad1b.jpg (437kb) downloaded 166 time(s).
Doodad2b.jpg (413kb) downloaded 167 time(s).
Doodad3b.jpg (478kb) downloaded 167 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#188 Posted : 7/24/2021 11:30:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I made this one as well in that same style and period.

Perhaps I'll try animating some of this kind of stuff sometime in After Effects. I could crank that shit out, and it would probably look pretty good to boot.

Note: If one were to squint and examine the background, there be insight into what drove me.
Doodad6b.jpg (1,010kb) downloaded 149 time(s).

Voidmatrix
#189 Posted : 7/25/2021 2:12:41 AM

Surrender and BE free

Those are resonating with me a lot, sooooo, please share moreTwisted Evil

And I'll be messaging you soon to pick your brain on the NFT front. Thank you for the kindness and the offer.

One love
Chop Wood: Carry Water

Question everything... including questioning everything...
There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
The only safe place is the choice you make
All posts, responses, ideas and supposed experiences are that of an imaginary interdimensional being . This being comes to you with the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. That being said, everything posted must, perhaps, be taken lightly and with a grain of salt. 👽

Bill Cipher
#190 Posted : 7/25/2021 6:34:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Voidmatrix wrote:
Those are resonating with me a lot, sooooo, please share moreTwisted Evil

Thank you much. I really don't have a lot more like this. It was just kind of a stop gap on the way to learning how to sculpt.

Currently working on a new presentation of The Passion of the Popeye - another little minute long movie for NFT purposes.

Should be done in about a week, and I believe it should be the biggest and the best of em so far. If it somehow fails to fuck up your brain, I promise to eat my hat.

Bill Cipher
#191 Posted : 7/27/2021 12:29:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Another small something I made last summer (for obvious reasons). Ironically, I ended up using the gloves on Officer Friendly as well.
Fist - Front.jpg (460kb) downloaded 117 time(s).
Fist - Left Oblique.jpg (371kb) downloaded 116 time(s).
Fist - Left.jpg (322kb) downloaded 115 time(s).
Fist - Right Rear Oblique.jpg (380kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
Fist - Right Oblique.jpg (354kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
Fist - Right.jpg (441kb) downloaded 113 time(s).
Glove - Front.jpg (495kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
Glove - Left Oblique.jpg (389kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
Glove - Left.jpg (337kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
Glove - Right Rear Oblique.jpg (408kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
Glove - Right Oblique.jpg (409kb) downloaded 113 time(s).
Glove - Right.jpg (393kb) downloaded 113 time(s).
Glove - Top.jpg (375kb) downloaded 113 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#192 Posted : 7/31/2021 3:28:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is what's comin' up next. Probably about a week out.

Going out on a limb here, but I officially predict it will fuck up some brains.
Title - Still2.jpg (2,698kb) downloaded 102 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#193 Posted : 8/3/2021 5:04:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

In the Court of the Grand Inquisitor (2017)

Apologies for being mostly absent the past few days. I've been hugely busy all this week with offline pursuits.

Anyway, you may remember this fellow as Hiranyaksha, sculpted in 2014 as part of Hidoodlydo, Neighbor! I got the yen a few years later to whip him up this little side salad, in the form of a psych-o-delic sex dungeon/disco den/abattoir/man cave. I'm thinking of giving him the NFT treatment once I'm done with Popeye. I'm quite enjoying making these little movie type doodads right now.

Subliminal messaging comes care of the artist formerly known as Grandma Van D'lay - who shall henceforth answer only to V-Griddy, GDawg or GVD.
In the Court of the Grand Inquisitor.jpg (9,704kb) downloaded 85 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#194 Posted : 8/3/2021 5:35:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't try too hard to unravel the code, lest ye lose your monkey marbles. Grandma Van D'lay likes to lay sanity traps, since watching Saw I-V.
Stone Tablets2.jpg (5,345kb) downloaded 70 time(s).

null24
#195 Posted : 8/3/2021 11:26:14 PM

Not a derogatory robot, since 1969

Good gods, in the name of righteous decency, none of this stuff should exist. So again, THANK YOU!!!Twisted Evil

For the sake of all that's creative and horrible, keep it up.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Bill Cipher
#196 Posted : 8/4/2021 3:28:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:
Good gods, in the name of righteous decency, none of this stuff should exist. So again, THANK YOU!!!Twisted Evil

For the sake of all that's creative and horrible, keep it up.

Thank you, null. It's my aim to find the beautiful in the horrible and the horrible in the beautiful.

Decency be damned!

Bill Cipher
#197 Posted : 8/4/2021 2:52:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Here's another little peekypoo. Final video should be up within a week, mas o menos.

I will leave it to you landlubbers to decide just what he might be smokin', but whatever it is appears to be working. He's goin' through some shit.
Popeye - Head.jpg (1,210kb) downloaded 130 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#198 Posted : 8/6/2021 7:37:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Back to Contrapasso. I’ve already shared the animated remix. This was the final render of the original still piece that I made in 2018.

As often happens, this one found its concept en route and its title after the fact. Rather than plan out my work up front, I prefer just to play, combine elements, discard, revise, rinse and repeat... charting a course pretty much on the fly based on what I see unfolding. It's the most fun way to work that I've found, and I often prefer the results in the end to pieces planned out in advance. I'm really just along for the ride. It's a very satisfying process.
Contrapasso (2018) - Final Render.jpg (5,825kb) downloaded 110 time(s).

Bill Cipher
#199 Posted : 8/6/2021 5:32:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

And here is a version prior to turning up the volume on his paintjob. I probably made a half dozen different iterations before settling on the one above.

The entire thing is kitbashed with elements I made for other pieces: the demon and smoking skulls from Bad Karma, the spiders and runes from Hidoodlydo, Neighbor!, the dice from I Yam, and the hands of justice and tiki torches from a Trump piece I've yet to show ya. And such is the beauty of working in 3D. I can mix and match until the cows come home, for an infinite multitude of pieces. I'm world buildin', bitches, with an ever growing cavalcade of disparate Van D'lay wackadoodles.

Note: Regarding the Trump biz, please don't worry. I've got puh-lenty to share. I spent four long years casting my feelings into digital clay, torturing that fatass and his inept crew of monsters in myriad effigial scenarios. They're comin' up. I'll bust em out whenever I'm good and ready. You'll clutch your pearls. You'll take offense. And I will enjoy the kerfuffle.
Contrapasso (2018) - Alt Render.jpg (5,546kb) downloaded 101 time(s).

ShamanisticVibes
#200 Posted : 8/6/2021 6:02:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Broooooooo. I haven't looked at these since page 7! You just took a whole hour of my life! Big grin Officer Friendly and his friends (especially the furry oneQ) are super cool. I really enjoyed the fine details and you posting each piece individually, masterful, down to the tread in the boots. Love the sharp angled stuff here on page 10, and of course, I have always loved Popeye, so seeing his stuff always fills me with some nostalgic bliss. Keep doing what you're doing man, I know we all appreciate it! Have a blessed day, my friend.
Jack of few trades, Master of none, Student of all

«PREV89101112NEXT»