We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DUNE, Frank Herbert, Jr. and psilocybin Options

Mitakuye Oyasin
#1 Posted : 7/2/2021 1:39:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Frank Herbert, Jr. wrote the Dune novels that have been made into movies and TV series. Apparently, according to Paul Stamets, a significant source of inspiration for Dune was Herbert's experiences with psilocybin and his hobby of cultivating mushrooms. Pretty cool if true. I've never heard this before, but it does appear on his Wikipedia page. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert)
I'd love to know more about this if anyone has any info or experiences to share. I wonder if there are any audio or video recordings of Stamets taking about this. If anyone knows anything else about Herbert's use of psilocybin and how it might have shaped his vision for Dune, please post about it.
The sleeper has awakened... and it craves information. ;-)
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 7/2/2021 9:15:11 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I've heard this before too. The blue colour of the spice is in the Dune stories is derived directly from the blue bruising of the shrooms.

There's not much else for me to add, but I'd love to know more about the cultivation techniques Herbert may have used, if that information is even out there somewhere.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 7/2/2021 9:49:21 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Here's a very old thread exploring an angle on this: Spice = Dune?

A search turned up this rather wonderful blog entry, although most of it's somewhat tangential to this thread:
https://slimemoldtimemol...ntists-history-of-drugs/

along with this marvellous (but here completely irrelevant) link Smile

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Voidmatrix
#4 Posted : 7/2/2021 11:12:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Given the prohibition paradigm and negative scope in culture surrounding drugs, it may be hard to find any other information aside from Stamet's recitation of conversations with Herbert as a source to support this idea. Nevertheless, it's a cool idea.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Mitakuye Oyasin
#5 Posted : 7/2/2021 11:33:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the links. I will have to read Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World. I've wanted to read this book for some time, now I must make time to read it. Thanks for the info. I wonder if there are any videos of Stamets talking about his interactions or conversations with Frank Herbert, Jr. Might be revealing. ;-)
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 7/3/2021 11:45:41 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Mycelium Running is a great book, highly recommended. I don't remember reading the Herbert quote there, although I was focussing on the technical details so it may have slipped me by.

Tony6Strings
#7 Posted : 11/20/2021 5:23:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I just ate a 200 mg/5 gram psilohuasca and am about to watch the new Dune movie with my girl.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Mitakuye Oyasin
#8 Posted : 11/20/2021 6:33:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Have a fun ride. The film is very well done. Amazing sound bed and great SFX. Part 2 will be even better as that is where most of the action and revelation is, this one is mostly set up.
— Terence McKenna

Dirty T
#9 Posted : 11/22/2021 9:21:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I recently saw Dune in IMAX and then in a group of friends with our projector and 120" screen. I wasn't tripping while watching but I did watch Foundation during my last 2 treatments and it was awesome. Very therapeutic. I felt immersed and had a revelation I had read one of the books when I was very young (3 to 4 years. I read the book and understood what it said but I couldn't wrap my head around it. It traumatized me) it has inspired me to read the entire series, hopefully by doing so can help me reconnect and put to bed some of my childhood trauma.

Bill Cipher
#10 Posted : 11/22/2021 10:51:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dirty T wrote:
I felt immersed and had a revelation I had read one of the books when I was very young (3 to 4 years. I read the book and understood what it said but I couldn't wrap my head around it.

You read Dune when you were 3 or 4.....????

Allow me to adjust my skepticals.

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 11/23/2021 3:21:51 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Bill Cipher wrote:
Dirty T wrote:
I felt immersed and had a revelation I had read one of the books when I was very young (3 to 4 years. I read the book and understood what it said but I couldn't wrap my head around it.

I had taught myself to read by the age of 4 so this claim, while unusual, is far from impossible.

Th3_tRuTh
#12 Posted : 11/23/2021 5:09:31 PM

Yūgen "a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe ... and the sad beauty of human suffering"

As Void said, it may prove difficult to validate, but I have noticed some similar parallels myself. In fact the spice in the books and movies/shows is orange. Similar to "full spec" or jungle "spice". The spirituality of the Fremen is very similar to ancient mysticism. There is the prophecy angle, the messiah concept, transformation on a global, even universal scale, etc. There are many things about this story that I have loved ever since I was a child also. I did not read it that young but when I was little, I saw parts of the movie on TV and those parts stuck with me until I found the book when I was about 13, then watched the movie. I love this story.

Voidmatrix
#13 Posted : 11/23/2021 5:17:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Bill Cipher wrote:
Dirty T wrote:

I had taught myself to read by the age of 4 so this claim, while unusual, is far from impossible.

I was reading and doing arithmetic at 3. Granted, my parents were giving me "easy" reading like Green Eggs and Ham, but by the time I was in accelerated classes in kindergarten, they were giving us bits of Shakespeare. I think reading and comprehension at such young ages is possible to a degree but is dependent upon a variety of factors like influence, introduction, encouragement, etc.

Th3_tRuTh wrote:
As Void said, it may prove difficult to validate, but I have noticed some similar parallels myself. In fact the spice in the books and movies/shows is orange. Similar to "full spec" or jungle "spice". The spirituality of the Fremen is very similar to ancient mysticism. There is the prophecy angle, the messiah concept, transformation on a global, even universal scale, etc. There are many things about this story that I have loved ever since I was a child also. I did not read it that young but when I was little, I saw parts of the movie on TV and those parts stuck with me until I found the book when I was about 13, then watched the movie. I love this story.

Right there with you. The spice being vital for space travel and traveling without moving are endemic of the hyperspace experience. And shoot, I find it vital for life as well bahahaha.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Th3_tRuTh
#14 Posted : 11/23/2021 5:22:29 PM

Yūgen "a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe ... and the sad beauty of human suffering"

Voidmatrix wrote:

Right there with you. The spice being vital for space travel and traveling without moving are endemic of the hyperspace experience. And shoot, I find it vital for life as well bahahaha.

One love

INDEEEEEEED >_<

Pranam

Bill Cipher
#15 Posted : 11/23/2021 5:51:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Bill Cipher wrote:
Dirty T wrote:

Okay, but Dune is over 700 pages long, and it's a mind numbingly boring slog for even fully grown nerd people. If he's saying that he picked it up and tried to muscle through a couple of isolated passages at four, I suppose that's feasible enough. However if what he is saying is that he read the whole thing (or even a single complete chapter from anywhere in the book) regardless of understanding, then I must adjust my skepticals.

With all due respect.

Voidmatrix wrote:
I was reading and doing arithmetic at 3. Granted, my parents were giving me "easy" reading like Green Eggs and Ham, but by the time I was in accelerated classes in kindergarten, they were giving us bits of Shakespeare. I think reading and comprehension at such young ages is possible to a degree but is dependent upon a variety of factors like influence, introduction, encouragement, etc.

I've got a kid who was a voracious reader at four. Of Green Eggs and Ham, and other books which were developmentally feasible for four year olds. She'd read all of the Harry Potter books by the time she was nine, but there's a big difference between four and nine, and the Harry Potter books are page turners; reading Dune is like taking the world's longest and most constipated shit. It's convoluted and esoteric and full of clunky prose. I'm not sure I believe that a four year old Stephen Hawking could have read it.

With all due respect.

Voidmatrix
#16 Posted : 11/23/2021 6:32:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bill Cipher wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:
Bill Cipher wrote:
Dirty T wrote:

Okay, but Dune is over 700 pages long, and it's a mind numbingly boring slog for even fully grown nerd people. If he's saying that he picked it up and tried to muscle through a couple of isolated passages at four, I suppose that's feasible enough. However if what he is saying is that he read the whole thing (or even a single complete chapter from anywhere in the book) regardless of understanding, then I must adjust my skepticals.

With all due respect.

Voidmatrix wrote:

I've got a kid who was a voracious reader at four. Of Green Eggs and Ham, and other books which were developmentally feasible for four year olds. She'd read all of the Harry Potter books by the time she was nine, but there's a big difference between four and nine, and the Harry Potter books are page turners; reading Dune is like taking the world's longest and most constipated shit. It's convoluted and esoteric and full of clunky prose. I'm not sure I believe that a four year old Stephen Hawking could have read it.

With all due respect.

Dammit Bill, I love you, and you crack me up, with all due respect Laughing

I definitely understand you (first book is 412 pages, which is still long for a 4 year old) and wasn't necessarily trying to say that they must be correct in their assertion, but allowing room for feasibility.

Bill Cipher wrote:
reading Dune is like taking the world's longest and most constipated shit

I'm dying Laughing

I would've probably done even heavier reading early on if my father wasn't such an overbearing ass that took the fun out of it.

One love

Edit: Something seemed off with 412 pages (which I looked up). My copy is closer to 500 pages. Think version and publisher dictate total length, but regardless, it's fairly long.