We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
G'Day from here + my first few Acacia A/B attempts Options

ElevenJed11
#1 Posted : 6/6/2021 7:13:13 AM

Gardening with acacia's in the eye of choas

Hello dear Nexians.

So, where to begin? I suppose with an interest in psychedelics. Dreams, astral travel, and electronics.

I love magic mushrooms and have been growing from spore from time to time.
I like LSD, but mushies are where it's at for me. I'd say... if LSD is a square, then Magic-Mushrooms are a circle. ...And I like cirlces better.Confused

I also love acacias. I bought seeds from a reputable garden outlet about two years ago, Acacia Maidenii (Maidens Wattle), Acacia Obtusifolia (Blunt-Leaf Wattle) and Acacia Floribunda (Glossamir Wattle), to which I'm now needing to prune them all, as my 'babies' I propagated from seed are three times the Colourbond fence in height (..and the Maidenii bloomed beautifully this past summer witha beautiful 'white-golden' flower too!!!).

I also have a new acacia growing in the pot too!! ACACIA acuminata (narrow leaf). It's about 60cm tall right now, and I'm about to plant it in the garden.

So, as I mentioned, I did prune the older and established acacias. Maidenii and Glossy. (Blunt-Leaf didn't require it really.) And so, after drying cut branches in the sun until the green leaves turned to a yellow or orange, I took the leaf material or phyllodes, popped them into a coffee grinder and spun hell out of them, until they were dust and small broken matter. Weighing the material; Maidenii = 300-400grams (and I still have about the same amount of dried leaf to grind yet), and, Floribunda = 200-300 grams.

So, I tried this TEK; Psilosopher? (Post1) - ExtractionGuide: Principles of Alkaloid Extraction (in relation to N,N-Dimethyltryptamine)

Followed it to the letter, getting all the equipment, chemicals, and the will to carry-on, over a few months. I used d-limonene as my non-polar solvent first. Then, after being a little frustrated at how that stuff didn't freeze-precipitate as planned, and then took forever to evaporate, I tried Shellite(Naptha).

The first attempt was with the Floribunda. Second attempt, Floribunda and Maidenii. Third attempt, Maidenii.

So... the results?
I never got the crystals forming from the freeze precipitate. Instead, when I took the pyrex dish out of the freezer, after a second or two (definitely with movement) stuff would form in the np-solvent. Not sure what it was. This happened with both d-limonene and Shellite. This then was why I would try to evaporate soon after.

Did a second A/B or re-X on the third attempt. That was with the shellite. And that gave me a milky-goo with golden-white 'bits' after fan-evaporating.

My theory is, before trying anything out, I'll test it. So, I went online and got a test kit for DMT. Kit included a ceramic test tray, and three bottles of test reagent; Hofmann, Marquis, and Ehrlich.
My resulting 'product' definitely smelled like new-shoes, or a plastic/vinyl.
The Hofmann and Marquis results were spot-on for DMT. But the Ehrlich test failed.
Not sure why. But to err on the side of caution, I chalked it up to a new 'kitchen scientist' learning the ropes.

Anyway, I love this site for the information, discussion, and knowledge. Many things, from safety to what to do in an extraction, all of it I'd checked and double/triple checked, cross-referenced even, before doing anything.

So, thanks to those members of this site, who have posted, asked questions, put forth opinions, experiences, and so much more. Apart from becoming a full member here to do much the same, I at least wish to do my own research and experiments, and be able to say with some test-kit backed certainty, I too can extract my own DMT from my home-grown acacias.

Love and Light to all of you. Bless. Cool

Edit: Images added.

The trimmed Maidenii, Glossy's and Blunt-Leaf (mostly Maidenii and Glossy's)

ACACIA acuminata - narrow leaf
(excuse the dead mint in the pot to the right)

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Tony6Strings
#2 Posted : 6/6/2021 1:38:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Way cool. Welcome. Thanks for sharing!!!
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

ElevenJed11
#3 Posted : 6/7/2021 7:12:34 AM

Thank you very much!

Northerner
#4 Posted : 6/7/2021 11:10:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey man, welcome to the Nexus.

I also grow my own trees, it's a great hobby hey.

To get good results with acacia bark you're better off doing a 4 X acid pressure cook or boil, then reduce, base and pull. Having your own material it won't hurt to use a kg or two to make the whole thing worth it.

The goo is DMT man, very common for it not to crystallize with acacia. Just make changa or vape juice with it straight away and get stuck in man. Make sure you dry it good and long though, safety first.

Hope this helps.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

ElevenJed11
#5 Posted : 6/8/2021 7:35:00 AM

Oh that's fantastic info. Thank you very much. I was wondering what I might be doing wrong. But what you say aligns more with some of the other extractions I've researched from the site.

With the pruning of branches, I'd only stripped the leaves off and that's what I'd tried those first three attempts with. I saved the branches though. And am currently stripping the bark after work. I've got enough dried material. And what I've pruned from the plants/trees is rapidly being replaced anyway, haha. So, there's no shortage of material growing. So that weight of material to try sounds better to try with.

Could I ask; Have you used, or do you use, shellite or d-limonene? I like the orange smell associated with the d-limonene better than the shellite, but shellite seems to evaporate quicker, allowing for the goo. Am wondering how d-limonene will evap faster. Or if it's just a case of a massive amount of patience? Wondering what your thoughts on that might be, if you're cool with sharing them?

I think, aligning to your advice on the extraction, I might try something closer to what's in the The DMT Handbook Final Doc 1208 from the wiki. Seems like something I could do pretty easily.

I also bought two more packets of Acacia acuminata (narrow leaf) seeds. Couldn't help myself, haha. I love acacias. I live next to some bushy areas and a lot of those areas have what appear to be maidenii, might be obtusifolia too. But they do have that 'golden-white' fuzzy flower while in bloom. I was blessed when my Maidenii bloomed and could see that.

Here's a pic I took showing you what I mean:

The flowers are gorgeous! And very different in colour to the normal yellow of the well-known wattle.

Northerner
#6 Posted : 6/8/2021 12:00:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It doesn't take long to posess far more material than you'll ever use once you start planting trees hey. Very happy

tip: the best time to harvest is in the high heat of summer in the late afternoon, you will get much higher alkaloid yields.

I use shellite mate, toxic as it is we don't want any solvent in the end product anyway. I also try to do everything involving solvents in the shed to avoid any vapours. I also don't deliberately evaporate any of my solvents, I clean them and reuse them as much as possible. I don't know the rhyme or riddle between goo and xtal either. There's something about the chemical reactions or temperatures or something I do not know, I'm not able to predict how it will turn out.

That's not a bad tek, though I avoid using HDPE. Flux has also got a great 4 cook tek, I also do similar things but I pressure cook to cut the time by half.

Yeah it's great when the wattles bloom, so glorious. Bloody things throw pollen all over my solar panels which is a pain in the butt but it's still good value.

ElevenJed11
#7 Posted : 6/9/2021 7:40:49 AM

Quote:

It doesn't take long to posess far more material than you'll ever use once you start planting trees hey. Very happy

Thumbs up Absolutely! And my problem is that I love propagating from seed and seeing the seedlings grow too Big grin But you're very right there. I have no need to wander off into the bush and find anything there.

Quote:
tip: the best time to harvest is in the high heat of summer in the late afternoon, you will get much higher alkaloid yields.

That's a great tip. When I planted all my acacia, I wanted to see them bloom first. And I sort of knew they'd begin flowering towards the end of year. These one's are late-bloomers though (pun sort of intended). So I had a mid autumn pruning and sun drying. But I remember thinking to myself during the summer that they all looked really good. And that's when at about two-and-a-bit Colourbond fence lengths tall, I got that idea to prune. So yeah, will keep that tip in mind as the summer draws near.

Ah, all good! Yeah I don't like plastics. Even have a stainless kettle rattling around in the car boot for work. And am looking at the large old stainless pot I used to make soups with for the acid simmer and combined liquid boil-downs. I do have a pressure cooker too, for sterilising things when trying my magic mushie thing. So, good to know there's a 4xcook TEK for that too. Will take a look. Cool

Haha yeah, gotta keep the panels clean for them to push the maximum amount of electric-pixies around the wire. Wink Unfortunately I don't have solar...yet...but I'd invest in some retractable pole, some duc-tape and then use that combo to hoist the garden hose up to wash the panels every now and then.

Northerner
#8 Posted : 6/9/2021 11:16:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's wild how they grow hey, I've had some jump 6m in 2 years. Shocked

I don't think there's a written 4x pressure cook tek, though I have scribbled up notes to help other Aussies. No new science there though, just substituting 1.5 hour cooks for 45 minute pressure cooks and a few other tidbits that most will figure out with experience.

Expensive solution to not using HDPE jugs is 2L Erlenmeyer flasks. They're a bit hard to get but once you've got them and a stirrer the solvent stage pretty much sorts itself. Before that I was using 2L port flagons from the bottle-o with corks from Widgetco and turning them manually.

Pollen is sticky stuff hey, gotta scrub it off. Fun times.

ElevenJed11
#9 Posted : 6/10/2021 10:53:09 AM

I think my fastest growing acacias are the Glossy's (Floribunda). Although it's a close tie between the Maidenii and Blunt-Leaf (Obtusifolia) for second place. And there's not too much day-light between first and the rest Laughing

My avatar pic is the Blunt-leaf wattles in a shipping pallet (cut in half and the ends sealed up... 5x bags of native potting mix and 5x bags of bog-standard el-cheapo potting mix) They're actually quite young in that shot. There's actually three plants in it, the middle one being the tall brute that's reaching for my roof tiles (and now has gone higher than!!). And they were the three 'sick' ready to be culled seedlings that copped it during a summer storm! Now they're my best troopers Very happy

I found a seller near me on a popular online marketplace supplying labs and such with Erlenmeyer flasks and beakers. No 2Ltr ones though. But I did get 1x 1000mL Erlenmeyer flask and 1x 1000mL Beaker. And a magnetic stirrer with heating function. All of them were what I used for my attempts stated earlier. Worked really well. But I didn't use the magnetic stirrer for the acid cook liquid swirl. Just did that with a glass rod. And I got an electric two burner stove top for like twenty bucks for heating the water-bath (which was curtesy of an old arse pot and bend wire mesh that held the glassware off the bottom of the old pot). The heater and mag-stirrer were used in the np solvent stage to good effect.

Interested in how you do the pressure cook though. Are you placing all the plant material in a pot, covering with anything, then popping that into the pressure cooker for the 45 minutes? I'm just wondering if keeping the steam/moisture out of the acid+material is important or not? And if so, how? I'd imagine that stainless is what's being used for the vessel, as acid might damage or at least add undesirables into the acid+material 'soup' for the 45 minute pressure cook. And then there's the basifying stage to consider too I suppose.

At the moment, with what I've got and for 4kg of material and following the DMT handbook, I'd store the liquid from boils in 1Ltr glass kitchen jars. I have a few of them. And some left over juice 1Ltr glass bottles too. Simmer all that down to the 2Ltrs and do the base stage back in the pot.

My thinking then, for the np-solvent stage, would be to do little amounts at a time. Like, 500mL of A/B, four times, adding the required amount of solvent to the four pulls. Not sure yet.

I think I have native wasps that hunt spiders who are addicted to the pollen, or flowers, of my Maidenii. Always buzzing harmlessly around the tree-tops. And after the pruning, they moved over to the three blunt-leaf wattles wondering what happened to the Maidenii's Shocked

Northerner
#10 Posted : 6/10/2021 8:42:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds like you've got a veritable army going there mate. Smile

I bought my 1L erlenmeyers from a brew store, way cheaper than anywhere else. Rest of my stuff was either gifted to me or came from fleaBay. Not so many purchasing options as you well know.

When pressure cooking I throw about half a kilo shredded into a large stainless PC, add a cup or two of vinegar (kinda guess how much as I pour it in), fill 2/3 with water, then add a shaped piece of fine mesh on top to hold bits down so they don't get into the valves. After it's done I pull out most of the bark with large barbie tongs and use a sieve to catch the rest when putting the soup into another stainless pot. Bark goes back in the cooker and the rest starts reducing straight away. After it's all done x4 and reduced to 2L it goes in a flask and gets based there, then so on. Sometimes I'll only reduce to 4L and use 2 flasks.

Larger cooks I just used our old stainless prawn pots and boil it up like a witches brew, stir with a big stainless spoon. Not done that many times though because it takes a whole day to do and if I start really early I'll finish very late. Can really be worth it though if you want to boost your stash.

Aw, poor wasps, you took their tucker away. Seems that the acacia my way get owned by the mantis so there not so many wasps hanging out around them. There's more spider and wasp action on the mangoes, so many bugs on those trees. Even the green ants keep their distance.

ElevenJed11
#11 Posted : 6/11/2021 9:03:55 AM

51 seedlings, and threw out two when they just didn't pass the 2cm tall stage. So, a small army, but an army none the less Big grin

Two pairs of trees, all four being Maidenii, are twisted around each other at the trunk. So, an army with some fancy undertones at that too Razz

Thanks so much for detailing how you do your PC 4Ltrs to 2Ltrs. Sounds pretty good to me. So too does the pot only cook up. I think I've learned that if endeavouring to make DMT, it's a day of it. So I grab a list of podcasts or whatever and do the do. I think I'd probably try the pot only next time. I've got a big bundle of the dried branches from both Maidenii and the Glossy's that I'm stripping bark off of with an old cable-stripper knife. Works quite well and i do it while watching mindnumbing tv. So I'll soon be able to give that a go too (and I still have the shredded Maidenii leaves in the freezer as well). This weeks a long weekend, so a good chance to try again. And each time I do this I learn a little bit more, which is cool.

Yeah, well, ya-know, the wasps were too dependent upon the forest of acacias, so, err, was good they branched out Embarrased ...idk, that's my story and am sticking to it Laughing

When the acacias along the Colourbond fence were about as tall as that fence I had a family of Blue Tongue lizards that's chill under the more bushy Glossy branches and take shots at bugs on the lower branches. That was really cool. The neighbour behind that fence has chooks, and the Blue Tongues made a hole under the fence and pushed the sugar-cane mulch around to make the transition between properties a little more comfy. The neighbour had this massive banana tree that gave the lizards cover to duck under the fence and enjoy the arvo sun at mine. Unfortunately though, when the neighbour chopped down that banana tree, they killed the cover the lizards used and I no longer saw them. Named one Reginald, or Reggie. The smaller one was Linda. Others came and went. But I also got a few preying mantis too. Apart from loving having my own acacia fully grow from seed, seeing how much life thrives in them is a joy too.

ChristianMeteor
#12 Posted : 6/11/2021 4:09:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome post and pictures-really motivates me to expand my garden.

I may have missed it in the post, but what method did you use to sprout these seedlings? Also what soil blend? (perlite, vermiculite, sand ratios). I would love to incorporate some of these sorts of plants into my garden, especially given their great yielding potential, but I have a space confinement here in the north. So, I have another question which may be answered simply-do you know of any Acacia's that could survive a freeze?

ElevenJed11
#13 Posted : 6/12/2021 11:29:37 AM

Thank you Smile
So the seeds came with a germination/propagation instruction. I followed that;

Quote:
Germinating seeds:
Acacia seeds need to be treated before sowing to enable moisture to penetrate the normally hard seed coat. One method is to place seeds in a container, cover with near boiling water and soak overnight. Seeds which swell are ready for sowing, the remainder may be re-treated. Another method is to scarify the seed. This is done by rubbing the seeds between two pieces of sandpaper, thus thinning the seed coat to allow water to penetrate.

Propergation:
Clean plastic pots filled with the appropriate seed mix and covered with a plastic bag supported by a curved wire, a tie or rubber band to secure the plastic bag in place. The seed mix consists of; 3 parts river sand (not beach sand) and 1 part well composted pine bark, peat moss or vermiculite.

I followed the seed mix by getting propagation-sand, peat moss and vermiculite from a popular hardware store (B**nings). That mix I put into a propagation tray, also bought from the same store.
After the seeds sprouted, growing to around 3 or 4 cm tall, I'd transfer them into a larger pot (7cm diameter pot, large is actually okay too). That pot I filled with 'Native potting mix', also found at the same store in large bags.
Watered lightly every day. And when about 30cm tall I transferred into the garden.

Again, from the instructions;
Quote:
Planting Out and Maintenance:
To plant out in the garden select a well-drained spot, clear away any weeds or grass and dig a hole about twice the depth of the pot. Fill the hole twice with water allowing the water to drain away each time. To release the plant from the pot, hold a hand over the top and around the plant, knock the top of the pot on a firm surface and ease out. Tease out the roots, straighten or trim any of those that are curled. Place the plant in the prepared hole to the previous soil level, hold the plant upright while the hole is filled with soil. Firm around the plant and water in. Continue to water about once a week until the new plant is established, especially if conditions are dry.
The garden area could be mulched with pine bark or another available material to help prevent drying out but the mulch needs to be kept away from the plant stem to avoid the possible development of stem rot. Pruning is advisable each year to maintain a bushy healthy shrub. This is best undertaken after flowering.

The key, and I can't stress this enough, is to keep watering each day after planting out into the garden. Not too much, just a nice drink. Once the plants establish, they look after themselves.
I used sugar cane mulch as my mulch.
And I bought garden stakes and embedded them next to the newly planted plant, using some electrical wire (am electrician, so that was handy), but one could use something else. Just to help them grow straight. Pulled the stakes out after the base seemed sturdy.
I also bought a 'native slow release fertiliser', same brand as the one that makes the 'Native potting mix', from the same store too. But I found that acacia didn't really like too much of this. So, just a lite sprinkle in the hole, and once again before flowering, which for me was late summer.

I started the process, germinating seeds, on 9th of September 2019. So, they had the best conditions, coming into spring. I'd probably suggest that if you had freeze, do the germination and propagation phase with a heat-pad, or indoors. Once the seedlings get to a state where you want to plant them out, you could, but the colder temps might delay their growth at best, at worst, you might see them suffer.
You can find more on the seed supplier website under 'General Guide' and 'Australian Climate'. The seed supplier is 'Austr**ian Seed'.

Hope that helps Thumbs up