We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Isopropyl evaopration question Options

ms_manic_minxx
#1 Posted : 6/4/2021 12:45:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is it safe to evaporate isopropyl in a dehydrator specifically on a low temperature setting (<100F) ?

Someone yelled at me for suggesting this, but I used to do it all the time in the past. So either they were wrong, or I had angels. I would not like to test whether or not I have angels. Twisted Evil Thank you!
Some things will come easy, some will be a test

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

shroombee
#2 Posted : 6/4/2021 1:10:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ms_manic_minxx wrote:
Is it safe to evaporate isopropyl in a dehydrator specifically on a low temperature setting (<100F) ?

Someone yelled at me for suggesting this, but I used to do it all the time in the past. So either they were wrong, or I had angels. I would not like to test whether or not I have angels. Twisted Evil Thank you!

If your dehydrator is like mine, the heating element does not run at 100 degrees. It's hotter but it cycles on and off in a range based on control from a sensor measuring the air temperature. Then there's the remote possibility of a spark...

Practically speaking though, at low temperature with a fan blowing to prevent buildup of fumes... Maybe a fire happening is low probability?

Tony6Strings
#3 Posted : 6/4/2021 5:01:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rick Simpson suggests the use of a rice cooker for safe evaporation of ethanol or naphtha for making of cannabis oil.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 6/6/2021 10:00:54 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I would suggest using a scented wax melting pad:

Use a suitably-sized beaker instead of - or as well as - the ceramic dish. And, obviously, omit the scented wax! Be aware of the spark hazard associated with the power switch, and possibly use an infrared thermometer to check the temperature of the surfaces. If it gets much above 80°C on average, you could use fine dry quartz sand to disperse the heat (i.e. a mini sand-bath) - or maybe even some unscented paraffin wax. Beeswax, as you may be aware, emits flammable vapours when heated.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Northerner
#5 Posted : 6/6/2021 11:38:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

For evaporating ethanol and other solvents I put my dish on the bench in the garden shed with a desktop fan at close range. Works well. No heat, no sparks, well ventilated and not in my living area.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Dirty T
#6 Posted : 9/17/2021 6:12:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a friend that uses a rice cooker to evaporate RSO. Works great. I distill but everyone can't do that safely so I do not suggest it in general.