CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Are these jars appropriate for making pf cakes? Options

Seeingisbelieving
#21 Posted : 5/25/2021 1:15:03 AM

so and so from wherever whenever

I steam sterilized mine twice for 2 hours each time and allowed 24 hours in between each sterilization. I didn't use a still air box and I didn't get any contaminations haha.
I wouldn't do it that way ever again though but I did what I could with what I had like I'm sure you are doing. Good luck man and I hope it works out for you.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#22 Posted : 5/25/2021 12:51:34 PM

Peeing into the abyss

Chemical expertSenior Member

Tony wrote:
Also. What is procedure for lids when sterilizing? Do I loosen lids and foil in order for steam to sterilize substrate?
Yes, the lids need to be a tiny bit loose, enough for them to 'breathe'. Make sure that they cool down somewhere as clean as possible, in the pan and in a SAB if you can.
Ora, lege, lege, lege, relege et labora

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Woolmer
#23 Posted : 5/25/2021 5:49:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I normally steam sterilize for 90 minutes. Once the water reaches a boil turn the flame down a notch (still kept at a boil though) and set the timer for 90 min. This has been effective enough for me (1 jar contaminated out of about 30).

I assume from the fact that you are not using a pressure cooker that you will be inoculating MS with a syringe, for which the method most commonly used is to innoculate through several holes that were punched in the lids and covered with micropore tape.

This would mean you just keep the lids on tight because it will already have holes to allow pressure to escape. Once you innoculate you just put another layer of micropore tape. Also, keep the foil on tight because you don't want any water to enter through the holes as this might mess up the moisture content.

IMO, leaving the lids on loose just adds another unnecessary step and risk of contamination.

Tony6Strings
#24 Posted : 7/24/2021 11:04:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I sterilized these jars using a large pot with lid, as I had no pressure cooker available and wanted to get on with my grow. Steam sterilized for one hour, then once again 24 hours later. Inoculated June 1. I prepared a bucket of coir yesterday and am going to prepare shoeboxes today.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

shroombee
#25 Posted : 7/25/2021 8:13:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Tony6Strings wrote:
I sterilized these jars using a large pot with lid, as I had no pressure cooker available and wanted to get on with my grow. Steam sterilized for one hour, then once again 24 hours later. Inoculated June 1. I prepared a bucket of coir yesterday and am going to prepare shoeboxes today.

Nice! Let us know how it goes.

PREV12