We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
An experimental no-heat/no-boil extraction of Acacia confusa Options

rido
#1 Posted : 5/15/2021 3:45:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

One of my least favorite parts of extracting DMT is the smell. I can't stand the smell of boiling vinegar. I've since switched to using citric acid instead, but the smell is still not my favorite. I've seen a few mentions of cold vinegar soaks, but they were few and far between. In an attempt to learn more about the extraction process, I decided to experiment.

A foreword: This process was not successful and is not recommended in any way.

Procedure:
1. In a one liter container, add 100g of Acacia confusa root bark (ACRB), one tablespoon of citric acid, and water to fill. Tap water was used in this experiment. Litmus paper shows the pH to be around 4.
2. Leave to soak for one week.
3. Decant liquid into a separate container.
4. Top up bark container.
5. Leave to soak another week.
6. Decant liquid, combining with liquid from step 3.
7. Let this settle for 24 hours, then decant again. Most of the dust and plant parts should be left behind.
8. Dissolve 50g of lye into 200 mL of water. Let it stand until it is room temperature.
9. Slowly add the lye water. Once the color turns very dark and stops getting darker, check pH. Verify it is 12+.
10. Add 100 mL of xylene. Mix carefully by turning and swirling the container, then let settle. Repeat this process several times.
11. Remove the xylene using a glass syringe.
12. Repeat steps 10 and 11 using an additional 50 mL of xylene.
13. Put 3 glass jars in the freezer. Once they are cold (30+ minutes), pour the xylene into the first jar and let it settle. Pour the xylene again into the second jar and let it settle. Lastly, pour the xylene into the third jar and let it settle.
14. Pour the xylene into a glass dish, something wide enough that you will be able to scrape any product out. I use a glass 4 cup measuring cup.
15. Evaporate the xylene by putting a fan over it. Do this outside as there is no amount of ventilation that will keep this smell from permeating your living space if you try to do this inside.

Results:
From this 100g of root bark, an estimated 0.1 mL of clear goo was retrieved. I added a few drops of PG to thin the liquid and added the mix to a vape cart. The extract smells vaguely similar to past xylene extracts I have performed, but not as intensely so. It is definitely active, but this abysmal yield seems to confirm that a heated boil is necessary.

In the coming weeks I will perform an extraction on the bark following cyb's max ion tek. I suspect that yields will be slightly diminished, but not dramatically so.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Northerner
#2 Posted : 5/15/2021 9:51:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You might have better luck letting it base for weeks after a series of acidic freeze and thaw cycles.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

BongQuixote
#3 Posted : 5/15/2021 11:47:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

You could try boiling with a lid on the pot and the hood vent going. That removes most of the smell, and you can use lower heat. For the evaporation step, you of course will need to boil without lid, but that's pretty short comparatively.

Jagube
#4 Posted : 5/15/2021 12:39:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BongQuixote wrote:
You could try boiling with a lid on the pot and the hood vent going. That removes most of the smell, and you can use lower heat.

These days I use a PC. But when I didn't have a PC, it would never have crossed my mind to boil without a lid on.
But I know people who cook food without a lid on Wut?

BongQuixote wrote:
For the evaporation step, you of course will need to boil without lid, but that's pretty short comparatively.

IME the reduction takes the most time. Cooking can be done in a day or two, reduction can take a week or longer.

Jees
#5 Posted : 5/15/2021 4:58:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi rido,

dunno where things got wrong on your part, but this worked like a charm:

100gr finely shredded mhrb was in slight above 1 liter of pH3 soak (phosphoric acid) for one month, shaken daily. Never heated, always room temp.
Decanted the liquid.
Soak/fush the bark with like 0.5 liter water, decant and add with the previous.
Let solids sink for few days, decant.
Base (lye) to 12
Toluene pulls + FASA --> 2.2grams

Boiled in pH3 the kept bark to see if anything was left, decant + base.
firm 1 toluene pull + FASA --> 0.065 grams.
Concluding success in the cold soak.

This fasa product representing 1.6% freebase yield is identical with same bark in warm naphtha pulls + freeze precip.

Drawback: you're having an ongoing extraction in da house for a long time which creates a potential vulnerability.

Noted: no difference concerning emulsion forming, cold soak vs boiling tek.

PS: evaping solvents, yuk & boo Pleased

rido
#6 Posted : 5/15/2021 6:47:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Jees, thank you for sharing! Now that I think of it this bark was from a different vendor than usual. Previous extractions on it also had very poor yield, so maybe this was just a bark issue after all. I just received bark from a vendor that I've had very good success with in the past; I'm not sure why I strayed from them in the first place. I'll give the cold soak another try with this new bark. I've used a pressure cooker (instant pot) in the past with great success, but the potential for injury dealing with all that hot liquid makes the process much less relaxing.

bismillah
#7 Posted : 5/16/2021 1:17:11 AM

My Personalized Tag

Get a kitchen vent or a microwave with a fan, if you have room. It will suck up most of the smell, and the you can do all the acidic boils you please.
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

Jees
#8 Posted : 5/16/2021 4:29:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've found using citric acid not smelly and sure not the use of phosphoric acid. Perhaps rido is sensitive to the smell of the plant matter?

BongQuixote
#9 Posted : 5/16/2021 9:53:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Jagube wrote:
BongQuixote wrote:
For the evaporation step, you of course will need to boil without lid, but that's pretty short comparatively.

IME the reduction takes the most time. Cooking can be done in a day or two, reduction can take a week or longer.

I just boil the boils down together until I'm down to about a quart, takes less than an hour normally. I don't see how that could take a week, but I may be misunderstanding something.

Northerner
#10 Posted : 5/17/2021 10:30:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was hoping we'd have some input on a no cook teks for acacia barks in this thread. With MHRB we already have a range of STB teks that work as desired.

I've played with this but never been able to initially get the yield I would get from 4 cook A/B teks. I've put no cook shredded bark extractions aside for 6 months or more and they have given up pretty much all the available alkaloids, but it would be interesting to know if someone has found a quicker way.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Jagube
#11 Posted : 5/17/2021 11:12:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BongQuixote wrote:
I just boil the boils down together until I'm down to about a quart

A quart as the final volume doesn't mean anything without specifying the initial volume and amount of plant material.

1.1 quart to 1 can be done in less than an hour, but from 100 quarts down to 1 it takes significantly longer. Also, thicker brews evaporate more slowly.

BongQuixote
#12 Posted : 5/18/2021 7:55:47 AM
DMT-Nexus member

My example was from a 250g ACRB and 5x4 quart boils, so from 20 to 1. There is no way it would take weeks to reduce any reasonable amount to 1 quart, unless you're working in industrial scale and doesn't have a heat source and rely on natural evaporation.

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 5/19/2021 8:32:03 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Jees wrote:
PS: evaping solvents, yuk & boo
Especially for xylene. Really, just do a mini A/B with more citric acid solution, etc. If you're really going to evaporate a solvent, evaporate down the acid solution, base with sodium carbonate paste, dry, pull with acetone, ethanol or IPA.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli