We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV11121314NEXT
Book bin Options

Duncan Disorderly
#241 Posted : 5/6/2020 8:39:48 AM

DO NOT READ THIS!

Nice to see this thread has come back from the dead.

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe.
“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” -R.I.P. Terry Pratchett

GARGA BLARG BLARG!

Dharma Mantra Tantra

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

sbios
#242 Posted : 5/6/2020 8:58:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Elpo wrote:
Just finished reading "A brief history of everything" by Ken Wilber.
I really really loved it, it gave me some really interesting insights into the nature of reality, our world and how it has evolved. Not only on the external level, but also on the internal level.

I recommend it to everyone!

I've heard about Ken Wilber for a long time, but just got around finish reading his "Grace and Grit." It is poignant, raw and beautiful. I highly recommend it.

monomind
#243 Posted : 5/6/2020 11:07:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

donfoolio wrote:

edit: Hakim Bey on ayahuasca
https://hermetic.com/bey/ayahuasca-reading

^^ one of the most beautiful aya trip reports i ever read.

Praxis.
#244 Posted : 9/30/2020 1:59:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler

It's the 2nd in a series but you don't really need to read the first book to understand what's happening. It was written in the late 90's but takes place in the near future (2030's or so) and is a dystopian sci-fi set in a version of the USA that's eerily similar to the conditions we're all seeing play out on the news now. For example there's something called "The Pox" which is a string of environmental and economic crises beginning in 2015, and the president is an extremist ideologue who appeals to religious fundamentalists... oh, and his campaign slogan is "Make America Great Again".

I wanted to suggest this here not just because of the obvious relevance to current events but I think a lot of you would appreciate the ways that spirituality and mysticism are explored. Without giving too much away, the main characters live in a commune in Humboldt County and they practice an earth-based religion that worships "God as change". The book isn't explicitly psychedelic, but many of the themes definitely elude to psychedelic philosophy! Here is an excerpt for context:

Quote:
Olamina believes in a god that does not in the least love her. In fact, her god is a process or a combination of processes, not an entity. It is not consciously aware of her, or of anything. It is not conscious at all. "God is Change," she says and means it. Some of the faces of her god are biological evolution, chaos theory, relativity theory, the uncertainty principle, and, of course, the second law of thermodynamics. "God is Change, and, in the end, God prevails."

Yet Earthseed is not a fatalistic belief system. God can be directed, focused, speeded, slowed, shaped. All things change, but all things need not change in all ways. God is inexorable, yet malleable. Odd. Hardly religious at all. Even the Earthseed Destiny seems to have little to do with religion.

"We are Earthseed," Olamina says. "We are the children of God, as all fractions of the universe are the children of God. But more immediately we are the children of our particular Earth."

Octavia died before she could finish the 3rd book, as it was intended to be a trilogy, but her work has experienced a resurgence in popularity over the last few years. It's a really cerebral and engaging sci-fi novel I'd recommend to anyone - but especially those interested in psychedelics and the evolution of society, virtual reality, and interstellar travel!
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Poemander
#245 Posted : 3/10/2021 5:53:45 PM

“The Infinite Mind of THE ALL is the womb of Universes.” ~The Kybalion

I found this to be very interesting and it is why I chose my handle.

Corpus Hermeticum - Poemander.

"Poemander."
1. My Thoughts being once seriously busied about the things that are, and my Understanding lifted up, all my bodily Senses being exceedingly holden back, as it is with them that are very heavy of sleep, by reason either of fulness of meat, or of bodily labour. Me thought I saw one of an exceeding great stature, and an infinite greatness call me by my name, and say unto me, "What wouldest thou Hear and See? or what wouldest thou Understand, to Learn, and Know!"
2. Then said I, " Who art Thou?"
"I am," quoth he, "Poemander, the mind of the Great Lord, the most Mighty and absolute Emperor: I know what thou wouldest have, and I am always present with thee."

3. Then said I, "I would Learn the Things that art, and Understand the Nature of them and know God."
"How?" said he.
I answered, "That I would gladly hear.''
Then he, "Have me again in thy mind, and whatsoever thou wouldst learn, I will teach thee."

4. When he had thus said, he was changed in his Idea or Form and straightway in the twinkling of an eye, all things were opened unto me: and I saw an infinite Sight, all things were become light, both sweet and exceedingly pleasant; and I was wonderfully delighted in the beholding it.

5. But after a little while, there was a darkness made in part, coming down obliquely, fearful and hideous, which seemed unto me to be changed into a Certain Moist Nature, unspeakably troubled, which yielded a smoke as from fire; and from whence proceeded a voice unutterable, and very mournful, but inarticulate, insomuch that it seemed to have come from the Light.

6. Then from that Light, a certain Holy Word joined itself unto Nature, and out flew the pure and unmixed Fire from the moist Nature upward on high; it is exceeding Light, and Sharp, and Operative withal. And the Air which was also light, followed the Spirit and mounted up to Fire (from the Earth and the Water) insomuch that it seemed to hang and depend upon it.

7. And the Earth and the Water stayed by themselves so mingled together, that the Earth could not be seen for the Water, but they were moved, because of the Spiritual Word that was carried upon them.

8. Then said Poemander unto me, "Dost thou understand this Vision, and what it meaneth?"
"I shall know," said I.
Then said he, "I am that Light, the Mind, thy God, who am before that Moist Nature that appeareth out of Darkness, and that Bright and Lightful Word from the Mind is the Son of God."

9. "How is that?" quoth I.
"Thus," replied he, "Understand it, That which in thee Seeth and Heareth, the Word of the Lord, and the Mind, the Father, God, Differeth not One from the Other, and the Unison of these is Life."
Trismegistus. "I thank thee."
Pimander. "But first conceive well the Light in thy mind and know it."

10. When he had thus said, for a long time me looked steadfastly one upon the other, insomuch that I trembled at his Idea or Form.

11. But when he nodded to me, I beheld in my mind the Light that is in innumerable, and the truly indefinite Ornament or World; and that the Fire is comprehended or contained in or by a most great Power, and constrained to keep its station.

12. These things I understood, seeing the word of Pimander; and when I was mightily amazed, he said again unto me, "Hast thou seen in thy mind that Archetypal Form, which was before the Interminated and Infinite Beginning?" Thus Pimander to me.
"But whence," quoth I, "or whereof are the Elements of Nature made?"
Pimander : "Of the Will and Counsel of God; which taking the Word, and beholding the beautiful World (in the Archetype thereof) imitated it, and so made this World, by the principles and vital Seeds or Soul-like productions of itself."

13. For the Mind being God, Male and Female, Life and Light, brought forth by his Word; another Mind, the Workman: Which being God of the Fire, and the Spirit, fashioned and formed seven other Governors, which in their Circles contain the Sensible World, whose Government or Disposition is called Fate or Destiny.

14. Straightway leaped out, or exalted itself front the downward born Elements of God, the Word of God into the clean and pure Workmanship of Nature, and was united to the Workman, Mind, for it was Consubstantial; and so the downward born Elements of Nature were left without Reason, that they might be the only Matter.

15. But the Workman, Mind, together with the Word, containing the Circles and Whirling them about, turned round as a Wheel his own Workmanships, and suffered them to be turned from an indefinite Beginning to an undeterminable End; for they always begin where they end.

16. And the Circulation or running round of these, as the Mind willeth, out of the lower or downward-born Elements brought forth unreasonable or brutish creatures, for they had no reason, the Air flying things, and the Water such as swim.

17. And the Earth and the Water was separated, either from the other, as the Mind would: and the Earth brought forth from herself such Living Creatures as she had, four-footed and creeping Beasts, wild and tame.

18. But the Father of all things, the Mind being Life and Light, brought forth Man, like unto himself, whom he loved as his proper Birth, for he was all beauteous, having the Image of his Father.

19. For indeed God was exceedingly enamoured of his own Form or Shape, and delivered unto it all his own Workmanships. But he seeing and understanding the Creation of the Workman in the whole, would needs also himself Fall to Work, and so was separated from the Father, being in the sphere of Generation or operation.

20. Having all Power, he considered the Operations or Workmanships of the Seven; but they loved him, and every one made him partaker of his own Order.

21. And he learning diligently and understanding their Essence, and partaking their nature, resolved to pierce and break through the Circumference of the Circles, and to understand the Power of him that sits upon the Fire.

22. And having already all power of mortal things, of the Living, and of the unreasonable Creatures of the World, stooped down and peeped through the Harmony, and breaking through the strength of the Circles, so shewed and made manifest the downward-born Nature, the fair and beautiful Shape or Form of God.

23. Which when he saw, having in itself the unsatiable Beauty and all the Operation of the Seven Governors, and the Form or Shape of God, he Smiled for love, as if he had seen the Shape or Likeness in the Water, or the shadow upon the Earth of the fairest Human form.

24. And seeing in the Water a shape, a shape like unto himself in himself he loved it, and would cohabit with it; and immediately upon the resolution, ensued the Operation, and brought forth the unreasonable Image or Shape.

25. Nature presently laying hold of what it so much loved, did wholly wrap herself about it, and they were mingled, for they loved one another.

26. And for this cause, Man above all things that live upon Earth, is double; Mortal because of his Body, and Immortal because of the substantial Man: For being immortal, and having power of all things, he yet suffers mortal things, and such as are subject to Fate or Destiny.

27. And therefore being; above all Harmony, he is made and become a servant to Harmony. And being Hermaphrodite, or Male and Female, and watchful, he is governed by and subjected to a Father, that is both Male and Female and watchful.

28. After these things, I said: "Thou art my Mind and I am in love with Reason."

29. Then said Pimander, "This is the Mystery that to this day is hidden, and kept secret; for Nature being mingled with Man brought forth a Wonder most wonderful; for he having the Nature of the Harmony of the Seven, from him whom I told thee, the Fire and the Spirit, Nature continued not, but forth with brought forth seven Men all Males and Females and sublime, or on high, according to the Natures of the Seven Governors."

30. "And after these things, O Pimander," quoth I, "I am now come into a great desire, and longing to hear, do not digress, or run out."

31. But he said, "Keep silence, for I have not yet finished the first speech."

32. Trismegistus. "Behold, I am silent."

33. Pimander. "The Generation therefore of these Seven was after this manner, the Air being Feminine and the Water desirous of Copulation, took from the Fire its ripeness, and from the aether Spirit; and so Nature produced bodies after the Species and Shape of men."

34. And Man was made of Life and Light into Soul and Mind, of Life the Soul, of Light the Mind.

35. And so all the Members of the Sensible World, continued unto the period of the end, bearing rule, and generating.

36. Hear now the rest of that speech, thou so much desirest to hear.

37. When that Period was fulfilled, the bond of all things was loosed and untied by the Will of God; for all living Creatures being Hermaphroditical, or Male and Female, were loosed and untied together with Man; and so the Males were apart by themselves and the Females likewise.

38. And straightway God said to the Holy Word,. Increase in Increasing, and Multiply in Multitude all you my Creatures and Workmanships. And let Him that is endued with Mind, know Himself to be Immortal; and that the cause of Death is the Love of the Body, and let Him Learn all Things that are.

39. When he had thus said, Providence by Fate and Harmony, made the mixtures, and established the Generations, and all things were multiplied according to their kind, and he that knew himself, came at length to the Superstantial of every way substantial good.

40. But he that through the Error of Love, loved the Body, abideth wandering in darkness, sensible, suffering the things of death.

41. Trismegistus. "But why do they that are ignorant sin so much, that they should therefore be deprived of immortality."

42. Pimander. "Thou seemest not to have understood what thou hast heard."

43. Trismegistus. "Peradventure I seem so to thee, but I both understand and remember them."

44. Pimander. "I am glad for thy sake, if thou understoodest them."

45. Trismegistus. "Tell me, why are they worthy of death, that are in death?"

46. Pimander. "Because there goeth a sad and dismal darkness before its Body; of which darkness is the moist Nature, of which moist Nature, the Body consisteth in the sensible World, from whence death is derived. Hast thou understood this aright!"

47. Trismegistus. "But why or how doth he that understands himself, go or pass into God!"

48. Pimander. "That which the Word of God said, say I: Because the Father of all things consists of Life and Light, whereof Man is made."

49. Trismegistus. "Thou sayest very well."

50. Pimander. "God and the Father is Light and Life, of which Man is made. If therefore thou learn and believe thyself to be of the Life and Light, thou shalt again pass into Life."

51. Trismegistus. "But yet tell me more, O my Mind, how I shall go into Life."

52. Pimander. "God saith, Let the Man endued with a Mind, mark, consider, and know himself well."

53. Trismegistus. "Have not all Men a mind?"

54. Pimander. "Take heed what thou sayest, for I the Mind come unto men that are holy and good, pure and merciful, and that live piously and religiously; and my presence is a help unto them. And forthwith they know all things, and lovingly they supplicate and propitiate the Father; and blessing him, they give him thanks, and sing hymns unto him, being ordered and directed by filial Affection, and natural Love: And before they give up their Bodies to the death of them, they hate their Senses, knowing their Works and Operations.

55. "Rather I that am the Mind itself, will not suffer the Operations or Works, which happen or belong to the body, to be finished and brought to perfection in them; but being the Porter and Door-keeper, I will shut up the entrances of Evil, and cut off the thoughtful desires of filthy works.

56. "But to the foolish, and evil, and wicked, and envious and covetous, and murderous, and profane, I am far off giving place to the avenging Demon, which applying unto him the sharpness of fire, tormenteth such a man sensibly, and armeth him the more to all wickedness, that he may obtain the greater punishment.

57. "And such a one never ceaseth, having unfulfillable desires and unsatiable concupiscences, and always fighting in darkness for the Demon afflicts and tormenteth him continually, and increaseth the fire upon him more and more."

58. Trismegistus. "Thou hast, O Mind, most excellently taught me all things, as I desired; but tell me moreover, after the return is made, what then?"

59. Pimander. "First of all, in the resolution of the material Body, the Body itself is given up to alteration, and the form which it had, becometh invisible; and the idle manners are permitted, and left to the Demon, and the Senses of the Body return into their Fountains, being parts, and again made up into Operations.

60. "And Anger and Concupiscence go into the brutish or unreasonable Nature; and the rest striveth upward by Harmony.

61. "And to the first Zone it giveth the power it had of increasing and diminishing.

62. "To the second, the machination or plotting of evils, and one effectual deceit or craft.

63. "To the third, the idle deceit of Concupiscence.

64. "To the fourth, the desire of Rule, and unsatiable Ambition.

65. "To the fifth, profane Boldness, and headlong rashness of Confidence.

66. "To the sixth, Evil and ineffectual occasions of Riches.

67. "And to the seventh Zone, subtle Falsehood always lying in wait.

68. "And then being made naked of all the Operations of Harmony it cometh to the eighth Nature, having its proper power, and singeth praises to the Father with the things that are, and all they that are present rejoice, and congratulate the coming of it; and being made like to them with whom it converseth, it heareth also the Powers that are above the eighth Nature, singing praise to God in a certain voice that is peculiar to them.

69. "And then in order they return unto the Father, and themselves deliver themselves to the powers, and becoming powers they are in God.

70. "This is the Good, and to them that know to be deified.

71. "Furthermore, why sayest thou, What resteth, but that understanding all men, thou become a guide, and way-leader to them that are worthy; that the kind of Humanity or Mankind, may be saved by God!"

72. When Pimander had thus said unto me, he was mingled among the Powers.

73. But I giving thanks, and blessing the Father of all things, rose up, being enabled by him, and taught the Nature, of the Nature of the whole and having seen the greatest sight or spectacle.

74. And I began to Preach unto men, the beauty and fairness of Piety and Knowledge.

75. O ye People, Men, born and made of the Earth, which have given Yourselves over to Drunkenness, and Sleep, and to the Ignorance of God, be Sober, and Cease your Surfeit, whereto you are allured, and invited by Brutish and Unreasonable Sleep.

76. And they that heard me, come willingly, and with one accord, and then I said further.

77. Why, O Men of the Off-spring of the Earth, why have you delivered Yourselves over unto Death, having Power to Partake of Immortality; Repent and Change your Minds, you that have together Walked in Error, and have been Darkened in Ignorance.

78. Depart from that dark Light, be Partakers of Immortality, and Leave or Forsake Corruption.

79. And some of Them That Heard Me, mocking and scorning, went away and delivered themselves up to the way of death.

80. But others, casting themselves down before my feet, besought me that they might be taught; but I causing them to rise up, became a guide of mankind, teaching them the reasons how, and by what means they may be saved. And I sowed in them the words of Wisdom, and nourished them with Ambrosian Water of Immortality.

81. And when it was Evening, and the Brightness of the same began wholly to go down, I commanded them to give thanks to God; and when they had finished their thanksgiving, everyone returned to his

own lodging.

82. But I wrote in myself the bounty and beneficence of Pimander; and being filled with what I most desired, I was exceeding glad.

83. For the sleep of the Body was the sober watchfulness of the mind; and the shutting of my eyes the true Sight, and my silence great with child and full of good; and the pronouncing of my words, the blossoms and fruits of good things.

84. And thus came to pass or happened unto me, which I received from my mind, that is, Pimander, the Lord of the Word; whereby I became inspired by God with the Truth.

85. For which cause, with my Soul, and whole strength, I give praise and blessing unto God the Father.

86. Holy is God the Father of All Things.

87. Holy is God Whose Will is Performed and Accomplished by His Own Powers.

88. Holy is God, that Determineth to be Known, and is Known of His Own, or Those that are His.

89. Holy art Thou, that by Thy Word hast established all Things.

90. Holy art Thou of Whom all Nature is the Image.

91. Holy art Thou Whom Nature hath not Formed.

92. Holy art Thou that art Stronger than all Power.

93. Holy art Thou, that art Greater than all Excellency.

94. Holy art Thou, Who art Better than all Praise.

95. Accept these Reasonable Sacrifices from a Pure Soul, and a Heart stretched out unto Thee.

96. O Thou Unspeakable, Unutterable, to be Praised with Silence!

97. I beseech Thee, that I may never Err from the Knowledge of Thee, Look Mercifully upon Me, and Enable Me, and Enlighten with this Grace, those that .are in Ignorance, the Brothers of my Kind, but Thy Sons.

98. Therefore I Believe Thee, and Bear Witness, and go into the Life and Light.

98. Blessed art Thou, O Father, Thy Man would be Sanctified with Thee, as Thou hast given Him all Power.

endlessness
#246 Posted : 5/7/2021 10:04:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So many good books to read Smile

This is an amazing resource to download full books in pdf/mobi/epub etc formats.

The last couple of books I finished recently:

Anatomy of the State - Murray Rothbard

Great short book you can read in a day, dissecting what the State is, how it is created, the tricks it uses to maintain itself, etc.

Layered money - Nik Bhatia

An incredibly interesting journey through monetary history, how money structures itself, and the future of money.

Tony6Strings
#247 Posted : 5/14/2021 8:25:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just started reading Operation White Rabbit by Dennis McDougal. About William Leonard Pickard. Looks like a good read.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Seeingisbelieving
#248 Posted : 5/14/2021 8:51:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Tony, I read the rose of paracelsus by William Pickard and it just made the case seem more mysterious. He never out right admitted to manufacturing the lsd in his book but instead implied that he was just trying to retrieve stolen precursors that the snitch, skinner, had in his possession. Let me know if those questions are answered in your book because I'm at the point of finding William's email and asking him myself haha.

Tony6Strings
#249 Posted : 5/16/2021 10:33:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

@Seeingisbelieving, when I am finished with the book I will let you know!!!
olympus mon wrote:

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

Voidmatrix
#250 Posted : 5/20/2021 12:55:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

My apologies for the question: How the heck can I share specific files? I have True Hallucinations (audiobook and PDF) as well as an experimental documentary by the same name. I keep checking the box, but it's not showing me anything to select the files from my device.
I can usually figure this kinda stuff out, but not this time haha.
Thanks

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

dreamer042
#251 Posted : 5/20/2021 1:43:55 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Voidmatrix wrote:
My apologies for the question: How the heck can I share specific files? I have True Hallucinations (audiobook and PDF) as well as an experimental documentary by the same name. I keep checking the box, but it's not showing me anything to select the files from my device.
Thanks

One love

After you press the post button with the box ticked you will be taken to an upload page. Please avoid uploading materials with active copyrights.

Before you spend a bunch of time uploading files, these are already all publicly available.

The pdf is on z-lib
The "talking book" is on youtube.
The video is also on youtube.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Tomtegubbe
#252 Posted : 5/20/2021 1:56:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Seeingisbelieving wrote:
Hey Tony, I read the rose of paracelsus by William Pickard and it just made the case seem more mysterious.

I stopped reading this book after one third. The premise was intriguing, but there was a scene, where (mild spoilers ahead, text in black)...

One of the leading lsd conspirators lured a drug addict prostitute with MDMA and his two female associates raped the girl and somehow she was healed by the sexual ecstacy and maybe some supposed love I guess.

I had doubts about the book, since the wording seemed very elitist. Almost every common English term was replaced with a rare variant. At first it felt like "high" style, but as every personality and act in the book was as elitist I grew sick of it. Is this supposed to be somehow autobiographical? I don't like it.
My preferred method:
Very easy pharmahuasca recipe

My preferred introductory article:
Just a Wee Bit More About DMT, by Nick Sand

Voidmatrix
#253 Posted : 5/20/2021 4:05:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

dreamer042 wrote:
Voidmatrix wrote:
Thanks

One love

After you press the post button with the box ticked you will be taken to an upload page. Please avoid uploading materials with active copyrights.

Before you spend a bunch of time uploading files, these are already all publicly available.

The pdf is on z-lib
The "talking book" is on youtube.
The video is also on youtube.

Thank you kindly. Smile

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽

Seeingisbelieving
#254 Posted : 5/20/2021 4:22:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tomtegubbe wrote:
Seeingisbelieving wrote:
Hey Tony, I read the rose of paracelsus by William Pickard and it just made the case seem more mysterious.

I stopped reading this book after one third. The premise was intriguing, but there was a scene, where (mild spoilers ahead, text in black)...

One of the leading lsd conspirators lured a drug addict prostitute with MDMA and his two female associates raped the girl and somehow she was healed by the sexual ecstacy and maybe some supposed love I guess.

I had doubts about the book, since the wording seemed very elitist. Almost every common English term was replaced with a rare variant. At first it felt like "high" style, but as every personality and act in the book was as elitist I grew sick of it. Is this supposed to be somehow autobiographical? I don't like it.

Yeah I learned about this case through Vice media back when it came out and I do not like hearing about a story from just one side. Brandon Green, the boy who was tortured by skinner posts on the shroomery and has a pretty big thread detailing what happened to him. I can't really say why the case intrigues me so much because I'd be giving out too much personal information. I didn't like the part you mention all that much either but you have to remember that the book was written while the dude was serving 2 consecutive life sentences. The book gets better as it goes on and I do think that it definitely deserves a read. I'm reading "Ayahuasca visions : The iconography of a Peruvian shaman" at the moment.

endlessness
#255 Posted : 6/21/2021 11:10:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Currently reading Brothers Karamazov from Dostoyevski... What an emotional voyage... Would love to talk to someone who read it to discuss some parts, did anybody here ever read it?

Bill Cipher
#256 Posted : 6/22/2021 12:13:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Currently reading Brothers Karamazov from Dostoyevski... What an emotional voyage... Would love to talk to someone who read it to discuss some parts, did anybody here ever read it?

I read it, but it was over 30 years ago. I read everything by him then, and have re-read a couple of them since, but not that one. That one gave me a harder time, to be honest. I found it to be a struggle.

endlessness
#257 Posted : 6/22/2021 12:02:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah some parts are quite the struggle, i was wondering if it has to do with it being written in the 1800s, or being a translation issue, though both the portuguese and english translations I've been switching back and forth, are sometimes hard to understand. Some dialogues are clunky, don't seem natural, sometimes there are long monologues or conversations that go into stories you don't know who is talking anymore.

That being said, I've been finding it a fascinating book, there some really deep thoughts, analysis of human nature, spirituality and so on.

Do you remember the chapter where Ivan is talking to Alieksei about how humans can be evil, and goes on a long rant citing many examples of humans being evil to children? Basically his argument is, how can God ever justify such evil deeds as being part of the plan, how can anything be worth the tears of an innocent child? Do you remember that? What do you make of that argument? I used to think that everything is a part of The Plan, but now with a child, I can't imagine ever justifying any suffering from an innocent being and it's indeed hard to put spirituality together with the acceptance of innocents suffering.

And then next is the Grand Inquisitor chapter which was also amazing, which is an imagined dialogue between the Inquisitor and Jesus who returned to earth and is arrested, and the Inquisitor basically makes the argument that God/Jesus was wrong to give people free will because they are not ready to deal with it, that freedom is actually suffering, people are often not sure what is right or wrong and this creates a lot of inner struggle, and that those people would be better off if God showed them miracles and made them believe due to their direct experience. You have any thoughts on that? It reminds me a lot of nanny state governments deciding what's best for people.. but I do see the point that a lot of people are indeed not ready to deal with freedom, and it seems indeed unfair to blame people for making wrong decisions if they don't have clear guidance in life and they live in a world with twisted incentive structures..

Woolmer
#258 Posted : 6/22/2021 12:57:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I read about halfway through that book before realizing that as is with most "Western Philosophy", the bros Karamazov tries to answer redundant questions relating to made-up ideas instead of focusing on meta-physics.

The Grand Inquisitor chapter really fascinated me so I told one of my friends about it and they asked but why bother with bringing Christianity along in the thought. The line of thought makes a lot of sense to me about the conflicts of good and bad, right and wrong, freedom... But then it is so odd to go in a completely different direction and discuss its relation to Christianity. It seems more senseful to venture further towards the meta-physics and then expand on how to live your life.

I don't know if that makes sense, but those are my thoughts.

endlessness
#259 Posted : 6/22/2021 8:42:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Woolmer wrote:
I read about halfway through that book before realizing that as is with most "Western Philosophy", the bros Karamazov tries to answer redundant questions relating to made-up ideas instead of focusing on meta-physics.

The Grand Inquisitor chapter really fascinated me so I told one of my friends about it and they asked but why bother with bringing Christianity along in the thought. The line of thought makes a lot of sense to me about the conflicts of good and bad, right and wrong, freedom... But then it is so odd to go in a completely different direction and discuss its relation to Christianity. It seems more senseful to venture further towards the meta-physics and then expand on how to live your life.

I don't know if that makes sense, but those are my thoughts.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Smile

I'm not a religious person myself, but I think the key to what you mentioned is understanding context. This was written in the 1800s, the church was a bigger institution and Dostoyevski himself was an orthodox Christian, so it's only natural that Christianity was a big part of the thought. This doesn't diminish the impact of the insights this book can bring imo, you can just "translate it" to your secular understanding of philosophy/spirituality.

Tony6Strings
#260 Posted : 6/23/2021 2:03:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:

I just finished this one myself a couple months ago. Alyosha was my favorite brother, but to be honest I can prolly relate more to Dmitri. I enjoyed the part about Father Zossima abd his youth. And I related to Mitya being crazy for Grushenka even though she was super fucked up and running around on him etc... The trial was a good way to end the book.

olympus mon wrote:

«PREV11121314NEXT