We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Crystals smell like limonene Options

awalmartbag
#1 Posted : 5/8/2021 11:53:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey everyone

I completed my first extraction yesterday. I used the standard A/B method and freeze precipitation. For the first NPS step, I used limonene. For the second, heptane (so I can evaporate it).

Wet crystals initially smelled like heptane, as expected. I heated them to 50C for an hour and a half and then let them sit overnight. Crystals now look dry, but they smell like limonene. They're also slightly yellow instead of pure white.

Should I do a heptane re-x to get rid of the limonene impurity, or just make a new batch? I admit I was sloppy with this one, and I've only got about 1g of DMT from 200g MHRB.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 5/9/2021 12:09:52 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

You won't get a freeze precipitation using limonene. To recover DMT from limonene you'll need to back-extract it into acidic water such as diluted white vinegar. If you used limonene for your pulls I can only hope you kept it. How did you even get 1g? What was "the first NPS step" - a 'defat'? MHRB doesn't need a defat.

A re-x will clear up some of the limonene smell, but that stuff is sticky so you may well need to re-x twice, or perhaps do a mini A/B instead.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

awalmartbag
#3 Posted : 5/9/2021 12:24:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh, didn't know defat wasn't necessary. I just followed the Lextek procedure, which has two A/B + NPS extraction steps, one being a defat. What I did was:
- acid cook MHRB
- basify and pull with limonene
- acid wash
- basify and pull with heptane
- freeze precipitate

So any DMT should have ended up in the heptane. I did keep the heptane for cleaning and reuse.

Thanks, I'll try a mini A/B.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 5/9/2021 1:09:29 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I can only hope you kept the limonene as well. That's where most of your yield *should* be.
Pure cognitive flatulence, please ignore Embarrased

Or at least - keep the limonene, it's expensive.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

awalmartbag
#5 Posted : 5/9/2021 1:23:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh no... why is that? I thought the acid wash would protonate the DMT and pull it out of the limonene.

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 5/9/2021 2:30:22 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Sorry, I'm failing basic reading comprehension tonight it seems Laughing
I really suck at multitasking Embarrased
You're fine, but the yield is a bit disappointing.

(I was literally crying at the video I posted, maybe that made reading a bit more difficult.)

awalmartbag
#7 Posted : 5/9/2021 4:05:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Haha no worries. I think I used way too much heptane - 200ml, so there's probably still a lot of DMT in there that didn't crystallize...

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 5/12/2021 7:52:40 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

awalmartbag wrote:
Haha no worries. I think I used way too much heptane - 200ml, so there's probably still a lot of DMT in there that didn't crystallize...

A mini A/B would sort you out here as well, saving you from having to evaporate expensive heptane.