We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Found some old harmaline tinctures, safe to ingest? Options

imPsimon
#1 Posted : 4/11/2021 11:01:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I haven't used psychedelics or any other drugs in years but I found some "Pure Harmaline Glycerite Tincture" and "Pure THH Glycerite Tincture" (Bought from flowing visions so is probably Harmine) in the back of the fridge.
I'm guessing it's been standing there for 10 years-ish.
Are they safe to use or should I throw them in the bin?
I can't remember how they are supposed to smell but they smell kinda vinegary.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 4/11/2021 10:11:43 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

A vinegary glycerite will at least be preserved from microbial decomposition. You'll need to check whether any kind of deposition of particulates or darkening has occurred to what might be considered an excessive extent.

IIRC, there was that scandal about the THH being harmine+DMT - so be prepared!

Nice to see you here after all this time, I've always liked your iconavatar (thanks tony Smile) pic!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

imPsimon
#3 Posted : 4/12/2021 1:08:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks!

I can't see anything floating around in there but it looks a bit brown. I can't really remember what it looked like when I got it though.
Can I make an extraction and crystalize it to get rid of any potential "bad stuff"?
Syrian rue seeds are illegal here, otherwise I would just buy new seeds and make an extraction as I have done before a long time ago.
I'm also going to try mixing grounded pepper with turmeric which might give me what I'm looking for with less hassle.

I remember that THH scandal, "fortunately" mine had no DMT in it. There's only half bottles left of both and they definitely worked though so I was hoping that it's possible to do some salvaging.

Tony6Strings
#4 Posted : 4/12/2021 2:18:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, very cool avatar!!
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 4/15/2021 6:22:34 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

If all you want is antidepressant and anti-inflammatory effects, the turmeric and black pepper will do the trick - using a quality edible oil to aid absorption, of course. The MAO inhibition will not activate DMT orally, however.

Whether it's worth cleaning up the harmala extracts or not depends to an extent on the volume remaining. If the brown coloration is "just a bit" then a pinch of activated charcoal in each bottle might do the trick to raise your confidence in giving them a try.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

imPsimon
#6 Posted : 4/17/2021 12:22:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
If all you want is antidepressant and anti-inflammatory effects, the turmeric and black pepper will do the trick - using a quality edible oil to aid absorption, of course. The MAO inhibition will not activate DMT orally, however.

Whether it's worth cleaning up the harmala extracts or not depends to an extent on the volume remaining. If the brown coloration is "just a bit" then a pinch of activated charcoal in each bottle might do the trick to raise your confidence in giving them a try.

There's around 5-10ml in one bottle and around 10-15ml in the other and they are marked to contain 100mg/ml so there should be some left in there unless the harmalas degrade?
What kind of extraction tek would work on these tinctures? I've looked at them more closely and they are very dark brown.

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 4/22/2021 8:16:26 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Dissolve in diluted vinegar, add a pinch of activated carbon and filter through diatomaceous earth. Precipitate alkaloids from filtrate, preferably with ammonia but sodium hydroxide or even carbonate will do. Repeat as necessary. Yields might be very small, so use glassware of an absolute minimum size relative to the maximum feasible recovery yield.

Bear in mind, it's hard to guarantee that this will be absolutely safe for human consumption. I do not know of any data regarding the possible dangers of trace amounts of harmala degradation products.

imPsimon
#8 Posted : 4/24/2021 7:13:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Dissolve in diluted vinegar, add a pinch of activated carbon and filter through diatomaceous earth. Precipitate alkaloids from filtrate, preferably with ammonia but sodium hydroxide or even carbonate will do. Repeat as necessary. Yields might be very small, so use glassware of an absolute minimum size relative to the maximum feasible recovery yield.

Bear in mind, it's hard to guarantee that this will be absolutely safe for human consumption. I do not know of any data regarding the possible dangers of trace amounts of harmala degradation products.

Thank you!
I will take the safe route and bin it.
The pepper turmeric thing will probably do fine anyways.
Have a nice weekend!