We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Trichocereus Dry Weight Options

amor_fati
#1 Posted : 4/24/2009 12:51:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

This has been discussed in at least a couple other threads, but it doesn't quite seem to have been resolved. If SWIM is not mistaken, cactus is generally cored, skinned, and despined before it is cut and dried, so to determine the dry yield per size of cactus (it generally sold by size, rather than weight), one would have to subtract the weight of that excess material. The following (found here: http://www.anoniem.org/?http://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=4001&p=2) seems to be fairly accurate in terms of its sources, but leaves out that one piece of information.

69ron wrote:
Kannamate wrote:
found an estimate on erowid not sure if it's accurate should be close I would guess
1.5 - 2.0 inch diameter section = 1.0 ounces per inch of length
2.0 - 2.5 inch diameter section = 1.5 ounces per inch of length.
2.5 - 3.0 inch diameter section = 2.0 ounces per inch of length
3.0 - 3.5 inch diameter section = 2.5 ounces per inch of length
3.5 - 4.0 inch diameter section = 3.0 ounces per inch of length
4.0 - 4.5 inch diameter section = 3.5 ounces per inch of length

Ok, that's at least something to start with.

Kannamate wrote:
Ok that makes sense is there anyway you can know about how much it would weigh based on measurements like 12" tall 3.5 wide?

About here, we'd have subtract the weight of the core and other excess material.

69ron wrote:
Trichocereus pachanoi is 93.5% water by weight according to Poisson (1960). 100% - 93.5% = 6.5% dry matter.

So, with that above data, a 12" tall 3.5" wide piece of San Pedro would weigh about 36 oz (1020 grams). You multiply 1020 grams by 0.065 and you get a dry weight of 66.3 grams.

According to the findings from the recently developed extraction techniques, dried trichocereus mescaline yields generally vary upwards of 1%. So if one were to assume 66.3g of dried material from an average 12in. cutting, that cutting could easily contain 1g or more, far exceeding an acceptable dosage of mescaline.

Anyway, all that aside, what's needed is a general formula that subtracts the average weight of the excess material. Because of the rising popularity of the trichocereus, it is probably advisable that those who are able to, grow their own. Those who engage in this would probably benefit from knowing what kind of yield to expect from their expenses and the work they put into it, and knowing how well they can sustain.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

'Coatl
#2 Posted : 4/24/2009 12:58:36 AM

Teotzlcoatl

I'd say most Trichocereus are between .7% - 1.5% but some Trichocereus exceed 3% mescaline plus the other compounds.

Some say there are Trichocereus that exceed 5% mescaline (dried, green photosynthetic flesh), I believe this to be true, perhaps even conservative.

Some of you would be AMAZED by some of the rarer clones out there!

WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

StarDust
#3 Posted : 4/27/2009 4:21:36 AM
DMT-Nexus member

^ that helps to explain some of SWIM's yield issues concerning the most recent d-limonene teks.

hello nexus, lurker hoping to make a contribution here eventually.
all of StarDust's posts are fictional

amor_fati
#4 Posted : 1/25/2010 4:18:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Here's some info to pass on from the nursery:

Quote:
A stranger I met a few days ago said that he once had a piece of pachanoi (45 cm long, 8 cm diameter, wet total weight 1448 grams). He removed the plastic-like skin, spines and core and ended with 1128 grams wet green and white flesh. So the excess material weighed 320 grams (22% of the whole plant). He didn't have the time to separate and dry the white and green flesh (what was kind of a mistake regarding collecting as much data as possible) but he dried the excess material (core, spines, skin) over a radiator and got 52 grams of dry material. Assuming the water is homogenously distributed in the plant, the water content is about 84 % and the white/green flesh should have weighed about 183 grams (which may be way too much, as those assumptions are too simple to provide reliable data. But on the other hand, he has no idea how much water the cutting lost between harvesting and being processed).

So in short:

3.15 inch diameter section = 2.9 ounces total and wet per inch of length
3.15 inch diameter section = 2.3 ounces green+white flesh and wet per inch of length
3.15 inch diameter section = 0.36 ounces dry green and white flesh per inch of length (given the above water distribution assumption is okay)

Thanks, SN!

SWIM was also thinking that perhaps besides dry weight, extraction and resin yield data should be collected, to include such data as that presented here, where the cactus is broken down into its constituents.