We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Tip: Telling when the veil breaks Options

BongQuixote
#1 Posted : 4/2/2021 10:01:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I've always found it a bit of challenge to tell when the veil is about to break on the mushrooms in my monotubs. It's tricky to see under the cap, and using my finger to feel is not really reliable or sanitary. Solution: dental mouth mirror, the round one on a stick. Now I can easily inspect without touching anything or contort myself into a pretzel to look underneath the cap.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

shroombee
#2 Posted : 4/2/2021 10:59:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BongQuixote wrote:
I've always found it a bit of challenge to tell when the veil is about to break on the mushrooms in my monotubs. It's tricky to see under the cap, and using my finger to feel is not really reliable or sanitary. Solution: dental mouth mirror, the round one on a stick. Now I can easily inspect without touching anything or contort myself into a pretzel to look underneath the cap.

Is this for taking prints, or attempting to let the mushroom grow to its maximum weight before the veil breaks and begins dropping spores?

BongQuixote
#3 Posted : 4/3/2021 9:39:47 AM
DMT-Nexus member

The second. You don't want spores all over your substrate since it makes it go dormant and hinders further flushes. I've also seen arguments that alkaloid content, by weight, is the highest at this point.

TGO
#4 Posted : 4/13/2021 2:01:38 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

BongQuixote wrote:

I like it! Simple, effective, and it eliminates the need to become a contortionist just to get a glimpse! I have a home dental kit in my bathroom closet with one of those mirrors in it. I'll have to whip it out next time I go on a growing adventure!

Another random tip for anyone who stumbles on this post: If flushes in a monotub grow are maturing unevenly and you don't want to disturb the other nearby mushrooms yet, you can slice off the entire cap, leaving the stem behind until the rest of the flush matures. I like to use an X-Acto knife for ease of cutting (plus I already have them around for agar work). Then take those caps for prints or drying or whatever and harvest the rest when they are ready.
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

shroombee
#5 Posted : 4/13/2021 3:02:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

BongQuixote wrote:
The second. You don't want spores all over your substrate since it makes it go dormant and hinders further flushes.

I've read this may be a myth. And in the recent cases where I've accidentally let spores drop, it didn't seem to hinder flushes. But I do agree there is no point in letting the cap drop spores because it does make a mess.

TGO wrote:
Another random tip for anyone who stumbles on this post: If flushes in a monotub grow are maturing unevenly and you don't want to disturb the other nearby mushrooms yet, you can slice off the entire cap, leaving the stem behind until the rest of the flush matures.

Yeah, I do this regularly. Either when maturity times are different or when I don't have time to carefully remove the whole shroom. I like to take my time to avoid tearing up the substrate. Kind of sad to chop off their heads though.

BTW, I love shoebox tek. Shoebox is basically a little monotub but more convenient to work with for harvesting, changing locations, dunking after flushes, isolating in case of contamination, running comparison experiments, et cetera.

BongQuixote
#6 Posted : 4/13/2021 9:35:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

shroombee wrote:
BongQuixote wrote:
The second. You don't want spores all over your substrate since it makes it go dormant and hinders further flushes.

I've read this may be a myth. And in the recent cases where I've accidentally let spores drop, it didn't seem to hinder flushes. But I do agree there is no point in letting the cap drop spores because it does make a mess.

It may be a myth, but plenty of anecdotal reports of it stopping pinning. It doesn't seem consistent, so there may be other factors at play as well. I'll say better safe than sorry, and having your shrooms all black with spores is not very attractive.

Tycelium
#7 Posted : 4/14/2021 6:23:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great idea, many thanks!