We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Acacia Nilotica workspace Options

Godsmacker
#1 Posted : 3/17/2015 11:23:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Acacia Nilotica, on of the most abundant and widely distributed acacias in the world, is in dire need of further research. I am creating this thread for the purpose of collecting information regarding the chemical composition of various parts of Acacia Nilotica. I would appreciate it very much if you, the denizens of this Entheogenic University, would be able to post resources regarding this Acacia on this thread if you are so inclined.

Reports in the literature regarding the alkaloid content of various parts of Acacia Nilotica are extremely contradictory. Just as many reports state that this plant does contain psychoactive alkaloids as there are reports which state the exact opposite. In due time, I am planning on having samples of a specimen of Acacia Nilotica growing in my area analyzed via LC-MS and/or MS-MS analysis. I am planning on analyzing the specimen by part of the plant (flowers, leaves, stems, trunk bark, root bark, etc) and hope to have results within the next few months (may be posted during the summer depending on how much time and money I have on my hands).

I hope to have some results in the future, and thank you for your contributions to this ongoing research effort.
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Morris Crowley
#2 Posted : 3/18/2015 3:34:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It should be noted that the currently accepted name for the plant is Vachellia nilotica.

It was a change that ruffled a lot of feathers in the world of botany. The former Acacia nilotica was actually the type species for the entire Acacia genus, so moving it to another genus is a major break with convention. Ordinarily, with botanical rules of naming priority, the type species determines which group of plants gets to keep the original name when other genera are split off. But at a 2005 conference, Australian botanists flexed enough political muscle to make an exception: now the Australian species (which admittedly are beloved by many Nexians) are conserved in the genus Acacia. If it weren't for that vote by botanists, then Vachellia nilotica would still be Acacia nilotica, but all the Australian Acacia species would instead be Racosperma species. A mess all around. For more background on the controversy, see this thorough look at the issue (pdf link).

From IPNI, it looks like the full accepted name (complete with authors) is
Vachellia nilotica (L.) P.J.H.Hurter & Mabb.

Synonyms include:
Acacia arabica (Lam.) Willd.
Acacia arabica var. adansonii (Guill. & Perr.) A. Chev.
Acacia nilotica var. adansonii (Guill. & Perr.) Kuntze
Acacia scorpioides W.Wight
Acacia vera Willd.
Mimosa arabica Lam.
Mimosa nilotica L.
Mimosa nilotica Thunb.
Mimosa scorpioides L.

For digging up more information, I highly recommend the resources in this thread.

Also, this: Search results for "nilotica" on dmt-nexus.me. Similar searches on other forums might be useful as well.
Follow me on Twitter (@morris_crowley) and on Facebook

Help us grow The Nexian

Morris Crowley
#3 Posted : 3/18/2015 6:20:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

From the wiki:
Quote:
General Plant Info
Traditional names include Babul and Kikar. Has long history of medicinal use. [needs citation]
Has 9 different sub species. [needs citation]

Alkaloid content
DMT and Tetrahydroharmane in leaves in subsp. kraussiana (Hutchings et al., 1996. Zulu Medicinal Plants. An Inventory.)
unquantified amount DMT (Shulgin, TIKHAL 1996)
positive and negative tests for DMT, 5meoDMT in leaves (Heffter 1996; Trout 1997)

Note: The Plant List indicates 6 accepted subspecies and 1 accepted variet, all with low degrees of confidence (and The Plant List is not really authoritative, just a good starting point... has not been updated in several years so it still lists them in the genus Acacia)
Quote:
Acacia nilotica var. adansoniana (Dubard) A.F. Hill
Acacia nilotica subsp. adstringens (Schum. & Thonn.) Roberty
Acacia nilotica subsp. cupressiformis (J.L.Stewart) Ali & Faruqi
Acacia nilotica subsp. indica (Benth.) Brenan
Acacia nilotica subsp. kraussiana (Benth.) Brenan
Acacia nilotica subsp. subalata (Vatke) Brenan
Acacia nilotica subsp. tomentosa (Benth.) Brenan

This thread contains speculation about possible use in ancient Egypt, ancient Hebrew culture.

Trying to improve Acacia information, p.5
nen wrote:
A. nilotica subsp. indica & other acacias are used in ayurveda to treat a wide range of illnesses incl. rhumetism, digestive problems & skin diseases..

nen wrote:
Acacia nilotica subsp. indica ('Babul') Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Nepal and Pakistan is used in ayurvedic medicine.. A. nilotica in africa was said to contain harmalas and tryptamine [Oliver-Bever].

wira wrote:
Acacia nilotica
DMT, in the leaf[3]
*[This is an error introduced by Shulgin in TIHKAL. It was listed in an article that tested some African Acacias, finding DMT in some; however, this was one of the negatives.] However, later independent analysis tentatively observed traces of 5-MeO-DMT in stems, roots and leaves. DMT, NMT and 5-MeO-DMT were tentatively observed in seeds, but follow-up tests were negative (Heffter 1996; Trout ed. 1997).

Acacia nilotica subsp. adstringens
Psychoactive, DMT in the leaf
*A. nilotica and nilotica ssp. subalata, as well as other Acacia species, have intoxicating use by the Masai, but I’m not aware of this particular subspecies being used in the same way. This doesn’t mean it hasn’t been, however. I’m also not aware of any reference finding DMT in the plant, and that may be an assumption due to the often repeated claim of DMT from nilotica.

Trying to improve Acacia information, p.18
nen888 wrote:

..here is a summary from Trout's Acacia Notes (2001-3) regarding tentative findings of 5meoDMT in acacias..
Quote:

5-MeO-DMT
(Reports of this compound relied on co-tlc with known
reference material and a blue reaction with
Xanthydrol. All need confirmation.)
[...]
Acacia nilotica
Trace amounts tentatively observed in seeds
(unconfirmed), 1995 tlc by J. Appleseed. Not
confirmed by subsequent assay. Trace amounts in
separate samples of stems, roots and leaves. 2 yr.
old plant. Unconfirmed. 1996 tlc.
Negative alkaloid assay of roots, stem-bark and
leaves by Odebiyi & Sofowora (1978 ).
[...]

Trying to improve Acacia information, p.19
beautifulsorrow wrote:
An interesting thing about Acacia nilotica (It has an extremely wide range of uses for health) is that the Maasai people use it as a drug."Soups are probably the most important use of plants for food by Maasai. Acacia nilotica is the most frequently used soup plant. The root or stem bark is boiled in water and the decoction drunk alone or added to soup. The Maasai are fond of taking this as a drug, and is known to make them energetic, aggressive and fearless","Bark and root decoction is drunk by Masai youths to
acquire strength and courage.
(Brenan & Greenway(1949)
Same preparation has an intoxicating effect and is also
used as an aphrodisiac" The effects described don't seem at all psychedelic but still I wonder what the "intoxication" referred to is like.
I found a research paper that reports the presence of alkaloids in the bark of acacia nilotica (http://www.academicjournals.org/jmpr/PDF/pdf2009/Feb/Banso.pdf)(its on the second page with the title "Test for alkaloids" no. 083) so maybe they have a role to play in the intoxication mentioned, maybe if P.harmala was used along with the bark a "desirable"Smile effect would be pronounced.

nen wrote:
..thanks beautifulsorrow..i don't think A. nilotica has been properly investigated..it has a wide distribution (most of Africa, Middle East, India & parts of Asia) and several varieties..almost always the reports of 'trace' or no alkaloids in acacias are based on single experiments..i've known A. obtusifolia to contain almost nothing..similarly, if we took a few nexus reports on A. floribunda at face value, we could conclude there was nothing in it, yet experienced researchers have found the species to usually contain fairly large amounts of DMT..i think the art of working with and extracting acacias is quite different to the rushed world of phytochemical 'screening' which often reports a low % in a plant..seasonal or genetic factors may be crucial..
the huge amounts of ethnobotanic data on A. nilotica suggests that, in the right place or time, it must contain some quite active and interesting things..
Trout 2004 writes of A. nilotica..
Quote:
Trace amounts [5meoDMT] tentatively observed in seeds
(unconfirmed), 1995 tlc by J. Appleseed. Not confirmed by subsequent assay. Negative alkaloid assay of roots, stem-bark and leaves by Odebiyi & Sofowora (1978 )

in Preliminary phytochemical and antimicrobial screening
of 50 medicinal plants from Nigeria
D. Kubmarawa, G. A. Ajoku, N. M. Enwerem and D. A. Okorie [2007] tested many of the same plants tested by Odebiyi & Sofowora..they wrote:
Quote:
..some of the results obtained are not in agreement with the previous findings. For example alkaloids were found to be absent in the stem bark of Anogeisus leiocarpus which is contrary to the findings of Baowa et al. (1978 ) and Atal et al. (1978 ). This might be due to climatic and environmental factors.
....they did find alkaloids in A. senegal and tortillis , but not nilotica..

http://www.tropicalforages.info...Html/Acacia_nilotica.htm reports:

"A. nilotica subsp. nilotica is restricted to well-drained seasonally flooded and riverine habitats from Senegal and northern Nigeria, to Sudan, Arabia and India.
A. nilotica subsp. kraussiana is the most common form in east tropical Africa including Botswana, Zambia, Rhodesia, Malawi, Tanzania, Angola, Mozambique, Transvaal, and Natal.
A. nilotica subsp. adstringens is the commonest variety in west Africa, from Senegal to Nigeria and widespread in northern parts of tropical Africa. Occurs in wooded grasslands, savannas and dry scrub forests above the flood plains. [this is probably the variety tested by Odebiyi & Sofowora]
Naturalised in: Northern, sub-humid Australia where it is considered to be an invasive weed. Also naturalised in areas of eastern Indonesia."

and there are also subsp.cupressiformis, subsp.tomentosa, subsp.subalta, subsp.leiocarpa, and subsp.hemispherica..! see chart attached below [from Manual on taxonomy of Acacia nilotica]..

..according to Medicinal Plants In Tropical West Africa by Oliver-Bever, A. nilotica contains 'Harmane derivatives' and tryptamine..

and lastly, Shulgin reports DMT in A. nilotica in TIKHAL, but because he doesn't provide a reference has been queried by Trout and others..

.. A. nilotica..very interesting and worthy of more study..

Trying to improve Acacia information, p.40
nen888 wrote:
..and by the Way, african ground dwellers, i have new information that suggests that the honourable Sasha Shulgin did not mis-read papers with regards to DMT findings in african acacias..
so lets look at Acacia nilotica again..we know from Oliver-Bever [1986] that it contains 'tryptamine and harmane derivatives'..think about that 'wording'..and we know (search the INDEX on p.1) that the kenyan variety is orally active (and ceremonial)
..now, add to this the elusive Phlux-, who recently said:
Quote:
i have had good success with a.nilotica lower trunk bark - id go for that over the leaves - and do a defat.
and
Quote:
dont mix leaves and bark - for 2 reasons
firstly - it doesnt help the community - best to know which works
and leaves muck things up as they have chlorophyll etc...use the bark and grind it fine - u can go stb - xylene pulls - fasa salting or dlimo pulls fasi salting - maybe even fasw or vinegar salting for total yeild - incl n-oxides
then freebase - and re-x
..yes..Phlux- who had DMT-N-Oxide, and didn't want to tell us much more cause the taste was bad! Smile [see here]..
a lot of inside information going on..ha, ha..

Trying to improve Acacia information, p.55
chocobeastie wrote:
I got a report from some Indian friends who got nothing from Nilotica. Again and again, it is the same old story, many of these species may contain tryptamines, but seasonally or just depending on the individual tree itself.

Trying to improve Acacia information, p.57
nen888 wrote:
..it's worth mentioning that A. nilotica and 'A. aribica' (considered synonymous or sub-variety) has region distinct (some) hard to distinguish sub-varieies often confused, given similar common names and both sources of gum arabic..it is complex..
from Manual on taxonomy of Acacia species.
Quote:
Although A. nilotica was described by Linnaeus as long ago as 1753 (as Mimosa nilotica), its subsequent history has been confused nomenclaturally and taxonomically. It has often been incorrectly called A. arabica or A. scorpioides. It was recognised as variable and several varieties were described under one name or another up to the 1920's. At the same time some of the subspecies of A. nilotica were until fairly recently thought to be distinct species: for example, eastern African plants were usually called A. subalata and southern African ones A. benthamii.

A major step forward in understanding A. nilotica as a widespread and complex species was taken by Hill (1940), where he recognised five varieties. However, he failed to deal satisfactorily with the complex in East Africa. Brenan (1957) completed and refined the picture for Africa, recognising the races more appropriately as subspecies and Ross (1979) gives the latest account for the continent.

Until recently observations and material from Asia have been inadequate to allow a clear picture of the remarkable complexity of A. nilotica there. Although Cooke(1903) drew attention to a cypress-like growth variation, it was not until Ali & Faruqi (1969) that the pattern in Asia was clarified (see also Ali, 1973).

Trying to improve Acacia information, p.60
nen888 wrote:
..going back to Africa..
and Acacia nilotica's many medicinal uses..
Quote:
Some crude acacia extracts seem to have stronger antioxidant properties than either vitamin C or vitamin E
Antioxidants in the Traditional Diet of the Maasai

Quote:
Root - The roots are used against cancers and/or tumors (of ear, eye, or testicles), tuberculosis and indurations of liver and spleen.

..from Acacia nilotica: A plant of multipurpose medicinal uses Atif Ali et al. 2012
Quote:
Uses:

Leaf - Chemoprventive, anitmutagenic, anti bacterial, anticancer, astringent, anti microbial activity Tender leaves are used to treat diarrhea, Aphrodisiac, dressing of ulcers,anti-inflammatory and Alzheimer’s diseases.

Gum - Astringent, emollient, liver tonic, antipyretic and antiasthmatic.

Stem bark - Anti bacterial, antioxidant, anti-mutagenic, cytotoxic bark is used as astringent, acrid cooling, styptic, emollient, anthelmintic, aphrodisiac, diuretic, expectorant, emetic, nutritive, in hemorrhage, wound ulcers, leprosy, leucoderma, small pox, skin diseases, biliousness, burning sensation, toothache, leucoderma, dysentery and seminal weakness. The trunk bark is used for cold, bronchitis, diarrhoea, dysentery, biliousness, bleeding piles and leucoderma.

Seeds - Spasmogenic activity and antiplasmodial activity.

Pods -Anti hypertensive and antispasmodic, anti-diarrhoerial, astringent,anti-fertility and against HIV-1 PR, Inhibited HIV-1 induced cythopathogenicity, antiplatelet aggregatory activity and anti oxidant.

now, the mysterious alkaloids of the species (reminder Oliver-Bever 1986 say 'tryptamine & harmane derviatives' )
several recent scientific papers note the ocurrance of alkaloids, without naming them
e.g.
Quote:
Various Acacia species have been reported to be effective against a variety of disease including malaria, leprosy and most concerning cancer. The fresh plant parts of different Acacia species are considered as astringent, spasmolytic, demulcent, anthelmintic and abortifacient in Indian traditional medicine system. Currently, numerous herbal products derived from Acacia species are available in market. In present exploration, a total of five species of genus Acacia including: Acacia nilotica ssp. indica (Benth.) A. F. Hill, Acacia tortilis (Forsk.) Hayne, Acacia senegal (L.) Willd., Acacia catechu (L.)Willd, Acacia jacquemontii Benth were undertaken for preliminary ethnomedicinal and antimicrobial screening. Subsequently, the two most active species: A. catechu and A. nilotica were further considered for detail pharmacognostical studies. During antimicrobial screening experiments, A. catechu and A. nilotica exhibited highest activity against three bacterial (Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Salmonella typhi) and two fungal strain (Candida albicans and Aspergillus niger). The pharmacognostical study revealed that both species (A. catechu and A. nilotica) can be distinguished on the basis of their macroscopic, microscopic and phytochemical characters. Different plant parts (bark and pods) of both species were found to contain various secondary metabolites such as alkaloids, flavanoids, tannins and sponins.
Comparative pharmacognostical and antimicrobial studies of acacia species (Mimosaceae)
Mohan Lal Saini et al. 2008

..very effective medicine..but what alkaloids?
also of interest from that paper:
Quote:
a triterpnoid (avicin) isolated from Acacia victoriae has inhibited the tumor cell growth and induced apoptosis by perturbing mitochondria functions in effected host cell (Haridas et al., 2001).

in fact, the amount of positive results for medicinal activity from A. nilotica and other acacias is becoming overwhelming..as is the failure to actually identify the alkaloids..!!

from Preliminary Physico-Phytochemical study of the bark of Acacia nilotica, Shakya et al. 2012:
..alkaloids and flavonoids were found..non-polar extracts around 5-6% of total plant material..i have attached the re-agent test chart below..all very tantilising, without actual identification of the alkaloids..one of the Rf values of a methanol/choroform extract was 0.46 (very close to DMT's 0.48 )
this was in India..we know, of course, that A. nilotica has around 9 subspecies..see p19 here..also, see p40 for bioassay/probable tryptamine info..

nen888 wrote:
^..with regards to the results chart above..[Shakya et al. 2012]
we can see from Colorimetric test results that for reagents, dimethyltryptamine:
Quote:
Dragendorff's - positive with spray - (silical gel) - (5)
- Red-Brown - (paper) - (18 )
..Mayers (from memory) is creamy with tryptamines, but am still trying to find any data on Mayers reagent colorimetric reactions..
but, based on the Dragendorf's reagent, and the Rf value..
looks like formal result of highly likely DMT in Acacia nilotica..

Infundibulum wrote:
nen, I've TLC'ed Acacia nilotica bark and there was nothing sort of close to dmt in there. That matches Chocobeastie's observation as reported in this thread...

Of course it could be that both me and choco happened to work with the wrong subspecies and/or material harvested in the wrong time/wrong way, but argh, how is it ever possible to get something useful from a plant that can be so inconsistent?

nen888 wrote:
^..Infundibulum
..the thing about A. nilotica is that, despite being classed as a single species by systematic botanists, it's sub-species are quite distinct in pod shape and seed..[see p19]
when plants have not been selected/standardised (as is the case for common herbs) then such research needs to be done..hence this threadSmile
now, if the sub-species are consistent in some being tryptamine +ve, and others not, could explain this, rather than seasonal variation..this is why i've so emphasised the sub-varieties of nilotica..

..it is entirely an arbitrary decision to class all forms as a single species..
in other cases (e.g. some australian species) very similar forms are split into different species..
this, from a utilisation perspective, is potentially more helpful..
plants without long histories of selection can have 'chemical races' or chemotypes..
an example would be the australian Duboisa myoporides (Solanaceae) which in Victoria contains atropine as the principle alkaloid, in most of NSW contains instead scopolamine as the main alkaloid (this chemotype is harvested for scopolamine for opthalmic medicine), where as in another part of NSW it contains no atropine or scopolamine, but instead nor-nicotine (anabasine) as the principal alkaloid [Lassak & McCarthy 1986]..these chemotypes are consistent, but the plant looks the same in all regions..

being sure what sub-species of A. nilotica is being tested would clear this up..in other words the data for your test Infundibulum could be more precise in this regard, same with chocobeasties 2nd hand india report..
in the case of A. mearnsii i think identification between it and very similar bi-pinnate species can confuse people..material i carefully checked in victoria was positive for tryptamines (will send off to nexus for test), but, it also may be seasonally variable..but, as i mentioned a few posts back, there are many cases of A. floribunda/obtusifolia/maidenii where alkaloids can be almost absent from bark at some times of year and seem to have migrated to the phyllodes..

..the subspecies of A. nilotica are also regionally distinct, but to confuse matters, several african varieties are now naturalised in asia..also, the polyploid nature of acacias results in yet more expressions within a gene pool..

A. nilotica subsp. kraussiana is the variety which has oral activity in east africa
A. nilotica subsp. adstringens (more tropical west africa and sudan) tested negative for alkaloids
Phlux achieved a +ve result in another part of africa (Phlux?)
Shakya et al. 2012 may be A. nilotica subsp. indica

the complete current definition [Brenan, (1983)] of subspecies is:
Quote:
nilotica Nile Valley, SW Sahel and Sudano-Guinean ecozone of W Africa
adstringens (Schum. & Thonn.) Roberty South Sahara, Sahel and Soudano-Guinean ecozones, E Africa.
indica (Benth.) Brenan India (Rajasthan), Yemen, Oman, Pakistan, Manyanmar (= Burma) ; introduced to E Africa (Somalia).
cupressiformis (J.L. Stewart) Ali & Faruqi NW India, Rajasthan
hemispherica Ali & Faruqi W Pakistan, Sind.
kraussiana (Benth.) Brenan E Africa (Kenya, Ethiopia,Somalia)
leiocarpa Brenan S & SE Africa (Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia, S Africa
subalata (Vatke) Brenan E & SE Africa (Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Somalia, Ethiopia)
tomentosa (Benth.) Brenan Flooding areas in the Sahel, Sudanian and Guinean ecozones N of the Equator to NW Uganda.

Polyploidy (Fagg, 1992, Fagg & Stewart, 1994, Wickens et al., 1995) :

subsp. tomentosa hexadecaploid, 16 n = 208, riverine
subsp. nilotica, octoploid, 8 n = 104, riverine
subsp.adstringens, tetraploid, 4 n = 52, sub-riverine savanna.
The other subsp. are tetra ploid, 4 n = 52, dry savannas and woodlands.

Infundibulum wrote:
PS;I wouldn't know how to identify plants by looking at them alone, but I'd look at their DNA sequences if I had samples. There exist identifier DNA sequences for 8 nilotica subspecies; this is the way i'd go (as DNA taxonomy is the gold standard today) since I'm more of a molecular biology dude than a botanist.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....ser/wwwtax.cgi?id=138033

Trying to improve Acacia information, p.83
nen888 wrote:

..Kikar, or Kikkraan, is a name given in India and Pakistan to Acacia nilotica (more commonly known as Babul, also found in africa), Acacia karoo (introduced from Africa) and also Prosopis juliflora (see 'Mesquite' in index) ..

Babul is the more widely used name for A. nilotica..
Quote:
In India the babul tree is associated with the god Shiva who is often depicted as Lord of the Babul Tree; it is also associated with Krishna. Sikhs see it as a symbol of the spiritual seeker who has to endure the barbs and arrows (symbolized by the thorns of the tree) of worldly unbelievers to achieve true spiritual salvation.

Quote:
All parts of the kikar or babul tree are used in medicine with the bark, which has astringent qualities mainly used for coughs and to cure diarrhoea and dysentery. The root and bark are used in decoctions to give a man courage (in much the same way as the herb borage was used by the Romans in Europe) and it is believed to be an aphrodisiac. The root is said to cure impotence. The fresh pods are used to treat erectile dysfunctions such as premature ejaculation.
The bark or gum from the tree is used to treat cancers, problems with the liver and spleen and as an appetite suppressant to cure obesity. On a more mundane level the gum is also used as a gargle to cure sore throats.
The leaves and bark are used to staunch the flow of blood from a wound and a decoction of the pods dries up mucus in the bronchial tubes so is good to use if you have a cold.

[https://suite101.com/a/the-kikar-or-babul-tree-is-used-for-many-purposes-a292485]

..now, we know [size=4](see index) there are at least 9 sub-species of A. nilotica, and there have been positive findings of DMT in the species in general (as well as negative) ..of course, much of the medicinal activity is likely due to other compounds within the tree as well..
..there are also unverified reports of A. karoo containing DMT..
the interesting alkaloids of Prosopis have also been looked at in the thread

..on ethnobotanical use in Africa, an interesting 2006 paper [A preliminary inventory of plants used for psychoactive purposes in southern African healing traditions J.F. SOBIECKI] (i attached in this thread) tells us:
Quote:
Acacia nilotica (L.) Willd. ex Del. subsp. kraussiana (Benth.) Brenan Bark and root decoctions are drunk by Masai youths to acquire strength and courage (Williamson, 1974), and are reported to have intoxicating effects (Watt & Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). Bark decoctions are also used as a nerve stimulant by the Masai (Watt & Breyer-Brandwijk, 1962). N,N dimethyl-tryptamine, and tetrahydroharmane have been found in the leaves (Hutchings et al., 1996).

Quote:
Acacia karroo Hayne [mubayamhondoro, muunga (Sh)] Root infusions are taken for convulsions and dizziness in Zimbabwe (Gelfand et al., 1985).

other african acacias mentioned are: "Acacia amythethophylla Steud. ex A. Rich. [chitasunga (Sh)] Root infusions are taken for convulsions in Zimbabwe (Gelfand et al., 1985) "; and "Acacia nigrescens Oliv. [munanga (Sh)] The root is applied as an ointment to the body for convulsions in Zimbabwe (Gelfand et al., 1985)."

..if people are testing A. nilotica, establishing which subspecies it is would be a good move..
also, A. nilotica subsp. adstringens is very hard to tell apart from A. karoo without examining pods..

nen888 wrote:
..the Maasai name for the ceremonial Acacia nilotica is ARUSHA

other E. African traditional names include: olkionite, olkiloriti, olgiloriti, mgelegele, mgungankundumuela, & muela...

Help us grow The Nexian

Morris Crowley
#4 Posted : 3/18/2015 10:22:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Edited my previous post to include a few other tidbits from "Trying to improve Acacia information". Below are snippets from a couple other threads here. Two reports of success extracting DMT from V. nilotica... both very light on specifics, so of very limited value.

Confirmed DMT containing plant from India
zupaul wrote:
just last week ,my chemist friend extractedd for me ,43 mg of DMT from 150 gms of whole root powder of Acacia Niltoica or the gum arabic tree. Thats about 0.02 % DMT.

Acacia Nilotica Extraction
Phlux- wrote:
i have had good success with a.nilotica lower trunk bark

Bufo in A.Nilotica ?
Phlux- wrote:
Long ago an extraction was performed on a.nilotica - the final products smoke tasted exactly the same as this goo extracted from cebil seeds.
Wanted to toss this out there for those with access to this tree.

This is not a fact at all - its a theory based on smoke taste.

I think that's everything from the Nexus.

On to the Corroboree:

Olkiloriti/Acacia Nilotica
Jack wrote:
The Maasai of east Africa use a drug called Olkiloriti which is obtained from the preparation of the root and bark of the Acacia Nilotica tree. Warriors use Olkiloriti prior to battle to enter a state of frenzy, to prevent fear fatigue and was also used, as a narcotic, excitant, and to prevent hunger and thirst.

Strips of the bark are boiled with fat and consumed after they have had their fill of meat. Root or stem bark may also be boiled in water or added to soup to improve the taste.

Acacia Nilotica is also used for building, fencing and firewood

Medicinally Olkiloriti used by the Maasai to aid digestion, treat dysentery, tuberculosis and impotence.

Acacia nilotica is a source of antioxidants
"Some crude acacia extracts seem to have stronger antioxidant properties than either vitamin C or vitamin E"

Sadly no references/citations provided.

Acacia nilotica seed
Dale wrote:
Here's some info I've found about acacias and the Bible if your interested.

Quote:
“Shittim wood” (Acacia) is mentioned 12 times in the Bible. They were the trees from which the Tabernacle and some of its utensils were made: “And they shall make an ark of shittim wood … And thou shalt make staves of shittim wood, and overlay them with gold” Exodus 25:10,13 “And thou shalt make boards for the tabernacle of shittim wood standing up” Exodus 16:15 “And thou shalt make an altar of shittim wood” Exodus 27:1 “And he made the incense altar of shittim wood” Exodus 37:25

Acacia is awarded a place of honor alongside the cedar in the consolation prophecies: “I will plant in the wilderness the cedar, the shittah tree, and the myrtle, and the oil tree”Isaiah 41:1

Acacia trees were given preferential treatment: “God will return any Acacia (shittah) tree that gentiles took from Jerusalem” Babylonian Talmud, Rosh Hashanah 23:1 Felling live Acacia trees in the desert is taboo to date. In the Aramaic tradition, a person who cut down a living tree, would have his arm cut off. The resin that drips from desert Acacia trees was used by the ancients as medicine, and is called gummi arabicum (Arabic gum). The Talmud also mentions a medicine made from Acacia.
Source: http://www.holylandresto...ees-of-the-bible/acacia/

Quote:
Shittah tree[1] was used in the Tanakh to refer to the acacia (Hebrew: שטה). Acacia albida, Acacia seyal, Acacia tortilis and Acacia iraqensis can be found growing wild in the Sinai desert and the Jordan valley.

During the Exodus, the ancient Israelites employed shittah wood in making the various parts of the Tabernacle and of the Ark of the Covenant. It was the acacia or mimosa (Acacia nilotica and A. seyal).

"The wild acacia (Mimosa nilotica), under the name of sunt, everywhere represents the seneh, or senna, of the burning bush. A slightly different form of the tree, equally common under the name of seyal, is the ancient shittah, or, as more usually expressed in the plural form, the shittim, of which the Tabernacle was made."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shittah_tree

Nothing on The Nook, other than a couple folks mentioning that they grow it.

Nothing much on Bluelight, just speculation that it might have been a source of psychedelic experience in the ancient middle east.

Help us grow The Nexian

Godsmacker
#5 Posted : 3/18/2015 10:35:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

WOW!!! I can't thank you enough for the information, man!!! I'm definitely even more interested in investigating this plant now!!! Glad that I started this thread.

I was wondering if you knew of any identification guides regarding the differences in subspecies of A.Nilotica and how to distinguish between them based on those differences. If possibly, I would like to get a positive ID on my sample tree before analysis. Will post pix of it soon.

All the best,
-Godsmacker
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

Morris Crowley
#6 Posted : 3/19/2015 3:12:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe the A. nilotica entry in the Manual on taxonomy of Acacia species has just what you're looking for. Scroll down to section 4.5.(ii): "Key to subspecies". I'm attaching a pdf for posterity in case anything happens to the website.
  • Brenan, J.P.M. 1983. Manual on taxonomy of Acacia species. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations: Rome.

Also turned up this entry in the Federal Noxious Weed Disseminules of the U.S. which has a table on distinguishing the subspecies based on their seedpods.

And then there's this article:
  • Wardill, T. J., et al.. 2005. The importance of species identifying the biocontrol process: identifying the subspecies of Acacia nilotica (Leguminosae: Mimosoideae) by genetic distance and the implications for biological control. Journal of Biogeography 32: 2145–2159.
Its focus is on distinguishing subspecies based on genetics. Probably deeper than you want to go. But I'm attaching their image of the phylogenetic tree they constructed for the subspecies, just because it's interesting to see how they're related.

Help us grow The Nexian

grollum
#7 Posted : 7/16/2017 10:31:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

very interesting thread! Did you guys discover any new infos?

Dan_J
#8 Posted : 7/7/2019 12:35:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

just found some positive news for Australia, now it was mentioned once in this thread but i'll just add to it with more specifics.
Acacia Nilotica is located in norther queensland, yet its classed as a weed so time is ticking .
more info in links below

https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive/weeds/publications/guidelines/wons/pubs/a-nilotica.pdf

https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industries/farms-fishing-forestry/agriculture/land-management/health-pests-weeds-diseases/weeds-diseases/invasive-plants/restricted/prickly-acacia

Bravelycompassiont
#9 Posted : 11/10/2019 4:15:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Not sure if im supposed to bump this old thread but just did an STB extraction with Toluene on Acacia Nilotica, yellow white milky goo left after freeze precip and evap, put it back in the freezer.
Forgive the unenlightened, for they are not fools for not knowing.

DoingKermit
#10 Posted : 11/10/2019 10:06:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Let us know how it turns out! This plant interested me quite a lot when travelling through India. As did Acacia Auriculiformis, which didn't produce much of anything when I performed an extraction (also, like Nilotica, lots of conflicting info). Shame because it was growing everywhere.

You could do a crude alcohol extraction and send it to endlessness for analysis. Something I probably should have done myself.

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 11/10/2019 6:31:57 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Bravelycompassiont wrote:
Not sure if im supposed to bump this old thread but just did an STB extraction with Toluene on Acacia Nilotica, yellow white milky goo left after freeze precip and evap, put it back in the freezer.

Freeze precip from toluene? Are you sure? Or did you redissolve in naphtha after evaporating?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Woolmer
#12 Posted : 3/18/2021 4:22:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd like to revive this somewhat old thread as I have found quite an interesting paper done last year on A. Nilotica subsp. Indica. An alkaloid yield of 0.87% was found in the bark, while the leaves and fruits yielded 0.42% and 0.49% respectively. I'm not sure if I am just reading the study wrong, but it surprises me that in the bark they only found 5-meo-dmt, the leaves dmt+nmt, and the fruit only dmt. I would expect if one of these compounds is present in one part of the tree they would be present in the other (as we see with many species). Also, a 0.87% yield of 5-meo-dmt in any plant would be very high, in fact unheard of afaik.

I wonder how this would compare to the alkaloids of other subspecies of A. Nilotica. I live in an area where these trees are native. Will definitely be doing some extractions when I have the chance.

DrknChildlike
#13 Posted : 4/9/2021 8:29:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, is that correct you think? 0.8 % dang.. I would love to do an extraction of that, someone please mail this down with some extraction work.

downwardsfromzero
#14 Posted : 4/10/2021 10:52:58 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Woolmer wrote:
I'd like to revive this somewhat old thread as I have found quite an interesting paper done last year on A. Nilotica subsp. Indica. An alkaloid yield of 0.87% was found in the bark, while the leaves and fruits yielded 0.42% and 0.49% respectively. I'm not sure if I am just reading the study wrong, but it surprises me that in the bark they only found 5-meo-dmt, the leaves dmt+nmt, and the fruit only dmt. I would expect if one of these compounds is present in one part of the tree they would be present in the other (as we see with many species). Also, a 0.87% yield of 5-meo-dmt in any plant would be very high, in fact unheard of afaik.

I wonder how this would compare to the alkaloids of other subspecies of A. Nilotica. I live in an area where these trees are native. Will definitely be doing some extractions when I have the chance.

The identification of the bark alkaloid as 5-MeO-DMT in the study you kindly posted can hardly be considered conclusive as it is based on GC retention time alone. They've shown no MS results and no NMR either. I'm reminded of the Clement Acacia berlandieri mescaline debacle. More and better evidence is needed.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

metijthetripper
#15 Posted : 1/27/2022 1:53:50 PM
DMT-Nexus member

im gonna try to extract acacia nilotica bark i will give updates and i will also try to extract 5-MEO-DMT to know if it contains a good amount

Antiqueeditor
#16 Posted : 4/30/2023 10:03:54 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Metijthetripper@did u extract dmt from acacia nilotica

Antiqueeditor
#17 Posted : 4/30/2023 10:07:11 AM
DMT-Nexus member

What is the tek to extract dmt from acacia nilotica lower trunk bark,can I use the same method as to extract from mhrb