We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Bit of an oddball question but maybe someone knows Options

bismillah
#1 Posted : 4/7/2021 4:32:42 PM

My Personalized Tag

So, I'm taking up the hobby of luthierie. I've always done my own maintenance on string instruments but now I've just finished my first viola and I've got more in the works.

Anyone familiar with classical string instruments knows about the fuss and secrecy around traditional oil varnishes Big grin
I'm looking for pigments to colour my own amber varnish, particularly natural reds and browns with good transparency. Now, instrument-making pigments are easily available online, but they're kind of expensive and I'm obsessed with making everything myself so here's what I'm thinking to try:

I have a year-old extraction jar with mimosa sludge in it. My plan is to neutralize it with vinegar, boil it all down to a workable volume, and then try precipitating the dyestuff with alum mordant for use in varnish. Does anyone know if this actually works? I know mimosa is colloquially called "purple dye" but I have never heard of anyone actually using it as such.
It makes quite a nice red in acidic conditions, and having a "DMT-coloured" violin would be simply epic.
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

potnoble
#2 Posted : 4/8/2021 2:23:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Greetings

While i don´t really know anything about that process, i instantly thought of mimosa.
Please post a pic if you succeed.
That would be so dope!!! Big grin

Have a gud one dyoode!!!
Psychedelic drugs don´t change you, they don´t change your character,
unless you want to be changed. They enable change. They can´t impose it.
Alexander Shulgin

Tony6Strings
#3 Posted : 4/8/2021 2:53:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't know about dying with bark sludge.

I am a journeyman guitar tek myself. I've never had the woodworking setup to build a guitar from scratch, but I've done several partscasters (stratocasters and teles assembled from parts) and repaired countless.

I've finished several necks and one swamp ash tele body in Tru Oil. It is a wipe on oil based varnish, made for gun stocks and whatehaveyou. I love a maple neck with a Tru Oil finish, it is a beautiful thing.
olympus mon wrote:
You need to hit it with intention to get where you want to be!

"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky..." -Hendrix

"We have arrived at truth, and now we find truth is a mystery- a play of joy, creation, and energy. This is source. This is the mystic touchstone that heals and renews. This is the beginning again. This is entheogenic." -Nicholas Sand

WaterDragon
#4 Posted : 4/8/2021 3:13:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

have the sludge evaporate down to a powder, you may be able to add an acid to neutralize the result. then adding anything permeable and nourishing to the wood. linseed oil, some other oil a wood expert knows more about even orange oil.

Northerner
#5 Posted : 4/9/2021 9:44:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe do a test bit of wood first. See how well it stains and how it holds up to UV over time.

I read that mimosa was/is used as part of a dye recipe, not as is.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.