We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
some of my research into local grasses Options

meluzine
#1 Posted : 4/4/2021 8:27:29 PM

true love will find you in the end. •93•

I have been lurking around the DMT-nexus for about 2 years now, and I feel that its about time that I at-least try to contribute. Here is some writing I have done on local grass species.

This is the section of my writing that mentions tryptamine containing plants of the poales order, specifically grasses known to occur in North America. I have more information on grasses with ethnobotanical purposes but that have not been shown to produce tryptamines, I am not mentioning most of them here, maybe in another post. A lot of this information is probably common knowledge to tryptamine fanatics, but I thought I would share it still.

Bromus genus:
Host for the claviceps purpurea parasite.(Voogelbreinder, 132)
B. breviaristatus showed DMT, and, 5-MeO-DMT, present only during winter.(Voogelbreinder, 397)
B. Mollis considered poisonous (Duke)
B. Catharticus is Purgative (Duke)

Elymus genus:
Host for the claviceps purpurea parasite.
Host for unidentified Epichloë endophyte.
E. arenarius has hosted Claviceps Purpurea, the grass itself may contain DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, but further investigation is needed.(Voogelbreinder 132)
E. arenarius was introduced into Canada by vikings who landed in Newfoundland who ate the grass as a cereal grain.(Kuhnlein, 64)
E. piperi was used by the Interior Salish peoples of B.C to line their cooking pits. (Kuhnlein)
E. Canadensis found on archeological sites of Canadian indiginous tribes.

Hordeum genus:
Host for the claviceps purpurea parasite.
Phytochemicals include Melatonin, Gramine, Tryptamine, Tryptophan, 5-HT, Tyramine, Hordenine, and other bioactive chemicals.(Voogelbreinder, 132)

Digitaria
D. sanguinalis showed the presence of 5-MeO-DMT, but only in summer. (Voogelbreinder, 397)

Phalaris genus:
Intoxicant of sheep and cattle likely due to presence of NMT.
Phalaris Spp. Have shown presence of DMT and 5-MeO-DMT.
The use of P. arundinacea as an ingredient for ayahuasca analogues only began around 1994 in Italy; its use seemed to induce serotonin syndrome.
(Voogelbreinder, 272)
Potentially toxic B-carbolines present.
(Voogelbreinder, 273)
P. tuberosa has been reported to induce staggers in sheep. Investigation of reports led to the isolation of DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, 5-MeO-MMT, and 5-HO-DMT by Wilkinson, 1958. (Ott)
Grasses containing DMT often also contain the toxic tryptamines Tyramine (Rätsch 1998.) or Gramine (Trout et al)
In vol.1 no.2 of Microgram published December of ‘97 by The Bureau of Drug Abuse Control, now known as the DEA
P. Tuberosa is listed as an elicit or legitimate source of 5-HO-DMT as well as DMT.
P. Aquatica has an average total alkaloid content of about 0.0007-0.18%.
0.100% DMT.
0.22% 5-MeO-DMT.
0.005% 5-HO-DMT.
(Erowid, Lyceum)
The chemist known as Johnny Appleseed performed an A/B extract for P. Arundinacea for Ayahuasca Analogues and Plant Tryptamines. The A/B extraction method is usually used with Mimosa Hostilis root-bark which has an average of 1-1.7% N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (Ratch).
Other ethnobotany:
Host for the claviceps purpurea parasite.(Voogelbreinder,132)

Phragmites genus:
P. australis rhizomes showed 0.003-0.01% alkaloids in screening. Egyptian samples were shown to contain gramine, DMT, 5-HO-DMT,and 5-MeO-NMT.
(Voogelbreinder, 274)
Other ethnobotany:
Host for the claviceps purpurea parasite.(Voogelbreinder, 132)
P. australis is an Ingredient in the Basotho South African intoxicant known as Sehoere, along with Typha Latifolia and other botanicals. Charred human flesh is sometimes added also.(Voogelbreinder 64).
May act as an antitussive treating coughs and hiccups. (Duke)
known as qoboi, it is used in parts of south africa in a divination ceremony. (Sobecki)
The base of the stem of P. Australis is sometimes eaten as a spring-time food by the Chipewyan people.
(Kuhnlein, 64)

Not a true grass, but still a member of the Poales order:
Typha genus:
Trout tested Typha Spp. for tryptamines, his test came back positive. Small amounts of N,N-Dimethyltryptamine along with other undistinguished alkaloids were present during trouts testing.(Voogelbreinder, 379)

Sources:
the Bureau of Drug Abuse Control, (1997). MICRO-GRAM. Vol. I No. 2. Washington D.C.

Duke, J. (n.d.). Handbook of Medicinal Herbs. Retrieved September 26, 2020, from https://www.routledge.co...ke/p/book/9780849312847.

Kuhnlein, H. V., & Turner, N. J. (1991). Traditional plant foods of Canadian indigenous peoples: Nutrition, botany and use. Philadelphia: Gordon and Breach Science Pub.

Ott, J. (1996). PHARMACOTHEON Entheogenic drugs, their plant sources and history. Natural Products Co. Kennewick, WA.

Rätsch, C. (2005). The encyclopedia of psychoactive plants: Ethnopharmacology and its applications. Rochester, VT: Park Street Press.

Sobieki, J. F., (2006). A review of plants used in divination in southern Africa and their psychoactive effects. Department of Anthropology & Development Studies, University of Johannesburg.

Voogelbriender S. (2009) Garden of Eden, the Shamanic Use of Psychoactive Flora and Fauna, and the Study of Consciousness. Black Rainbow.

Thank you all for reading Smile

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

PedroSanchez
#2 Posted : 4/7/2021 10:55:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

welcome to the forum
thank you for the info. a lot of people will be able to make use of this.

Woolmer
#3 Posted : 4/7/2021 6:20:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi welcome to the forum my friend Smile

Very nice to have all this info composed like this. I did not know P. Australis is used in divination in South Africa!

Would love to read about the supposed non-tryptamine ethno grasses!

dreamer042
#4 Posted : 4/7/2021 11:51:51 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Excellent work!

Thanks for sharing your research.

Do you mind if I move this to the research section for better availability/access?
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

meluzine
#5 Posted : 4/12/2021 7:53:18 PM

true love will find you in the end. •93•

thank you for the responses! yes you can move it to the research section dreamer042 Very happy