We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mycelium dead after grain break up? Options

AiL762
#1 Posted : 10/7/2020 1:38:44 PM

\-= Conquer Your Fears =-/

So it was my first time experimenting with liquid culture and grain spawn.

Did some Lions Mane, and injected a fair chunk into 6 jars of Bird Seed.

First 10 days was incredible growth speed, some where even trying to fruit in the jar in complete darkness.

Since only half the jar was colonized I decided to shake them up to get better coverage. Since then its been 2 weeks and absolutely no signs of life or improvements? Hell id even say look like they died compared to how it was in the pic.

Anyone have any advice or know what mightve happened??? I'm super lost on this as makes no sense to me from anything I read.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

intosamadhi
#2 Posted : 3/18/2021 3:39:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Curious to know what happened with this as I am having a similar situation. I inoculated two sub-grow-bags for a pan grow I am doing. Mycelium growth was visible after a few days but very sparse so I shook up the bags, a few days later more mycelium was visible again but still sparse, so I shook up again and now almost a week later there are no signs of mycelium at all. Very confused. I used only a small amount of LC because I couldn't get the mycelium to break up in the LC and kept jamming the syringe. I'm thinking to re-inoculate which I know isn't the best idea in most cases, once I get my stir bars to break up the LC properly.

shroombee
#3 Posted : 3/18/2021 3:56:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Same thing happening with me right now. I have two grain bags, each inoculated from fully colonized agar plates. Growth was rapid from multiple locations, as it should be from that much colonized agar. At about 25% colonization I broke up the grain. Mycelium recovered and growth continued for about a week. Thought all was well. Then nothing for at least 6 weeks. I'm ready to toss the grain bags. Confused

intosamadhi
#4 Posted : 3/18/2021 11:18:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Any ideas why this might be happening?

I thought maybe somehow my mix was drying out or not wet enough to begin with and that might have brought about the stalling. But I can see condensation forming in the bag at times due to evaporation, so I'm stumped. I just reinoculated them with more LC. I won't shake the bags this time and will see if it spreads throughout.

shroombee
#5 Posted : 3/19/2021 6:41:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

intosamadhi wrote:
Any ideas why this might be happening?

I got these grain bags from a friend. They were purchased online, had been frozen, then defrosted, and were sitting a couple weeks. Grain works best when it's freshly sterilized because sterilized does not mean 100% sterile. More like 99.99%. There are still contaminants that will eventually grow if the mycelium doesn't get established. When I saw early growth I thought the bags were fine. Perhaps the contaminants finally won? Stalled growth can be from non-visible bacterial contamination. So when I shook the bags I spread the contamination around?

Another possibility is that the mycelium was weak. These were colonized agar plates from mushrooms I cloned. They were probably 3 months old sitting in a drawer. I should have put them in the frig.

BongQuixote
#6 Posted : 3/19/2021 10:21:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I've seen many cases of stalled grain jars due to tired mycelium. It feels like you need to transfer mycelium while it's actively growing for best results. I have an isolated strain of Tidal Wave that I've grown both on agar and in jars (doing g2g) and it rips through grain reliably quickly. However, I recently used a fully colonized agar plate with the same strain that had been sitting around for a couple of months, and it's barely doing anything when I inoculate with it. It's like it's gone dormant or something. I would recommend growing out fresh plates right before inoculation and use those instead of an old plate.

Kumarajiva
#7 Posted : 3/19/2021 5:14:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

what you describe sounds like poor gas exchange.
Gate Gate Pāragate Pārasaṃgate Bodhi Svāhā