We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Peganum Harmala burned as literal incense? Options

ms_manic_minxx
#1 Posted : 3/7/2021 11:43:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have discovered the joys of electric incense censers. I don't know if anyone is familiar with Mermade incense - they just released a blend that contains Syrian Rue. Not for ingesting, literally just for burning.

But I have been burning pure resins (copal, frankincense etc.) in conjunction with drinking Caapi. It really seems to intensify and add lovely depths to the experience.

SO! Has anyone burned Syrian Rue as an incense while under the effects of oral harmalas?

If so, how much? Do you do anything to prepare the Rue first? Do you know any delectable tidbits of information from the annals of occult history?

Obviously I'm going to try some and report back for science. Wink

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I have never cooked Rue myself. I feel like this could/probably should be a question to the spirit of Rue himself. Would love to hear from anyone else who has approached Rue this way, either alone or in conjunction with other entheogens.
Some things will come easy, some will be a test

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

murklan
#2 Posted : 3/8/2021 12:13:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Great to read from someone else who seems to have a nose for things!
I also uses smells in synergy with psychedelics. Nothing so advanced but I have a selection of natural (more or less I think) incenses and resins. I've never tried an electric burner but just use glowing amber from the stove, cover with ashes and but the resin or other incense on top.

But regarding Syrian rue, I guess you know about the origins to who there are Syrian rue sold a every major city? For the ceremonial use in Persian cultures, especially Zoroastrian. They burn it for purification, and "to remove and ward off evil".

I've used that so much actually, but I have a cup and seeds from within the tradition so I might try it now Smile

rOm
#3 Posted : 3/8/2021 10:54:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have yet to try rue as incense I think. but RUe has so many uses, like also ( as well mimosa by the way ) as skin health topical ointment. So those tow use ( incense and ointment ) are on my to do list. And yes am also a huge fan of occasional incense or essential oil nebulisation. Essential oil can also very well change the mood, some are very comforting, some are sensual, some are more tonic... I do'nt abuse essential oils as I know it takes a great deal of plants to produce 1 ml. So yes, to syrian rue incense. just got to get one of these elctronic burner as theold charcoal method I feel makes too much smokes...
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

Jees
#4 Posted : 3/8/2021 11:21:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Smells Love

Sorry for sidetracking from rue but I'd like to share a scent that really gives me an ahum shamanic uomph at the peak of a session: bear root (ligusticum porteri), check out it's medicinal uses too.

ms_manic_minxx
#5 Posted : 3/8/2021 3:50:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I've never tried an electric burner

I used charcoal tabs for a long time. Nothing like occasionally setting off the smoke alarm while in hyperspace Crying or very sad I tried the tealight burners too, and found them unreliable, burned my fingers trying to adjust the knob while it was still hot. Finally shelled out for electric with a timer and temp control, and it's like the spaceship of incense burners. A totally next level experience, IMHO worth it if you love incense.

Quote:
I don't abuse essential oils as I know it takes a great deal of plants to produce 1 ml.

I was reading that in the case of Frankincense, many of the medicinal compounds are in the gum and not in the oil. I'm sure it varies from plant to plant, but also something to consider if you are interested in the medicinal properties.

Quote:
ligusticum porteri

I have this, the vendor I got it from called it Osha root? I tried a pinch and it blew my head off. This is something I've been wanting to research because it smells exactly like something in a TCM cooking blend I had when I was sick a long time ago. Also amazing how smells can unearth memories.

Another REALLY potent blend I got recently is called Shawadawa. If you like Bear root and find it cleansing, this one is another really earthy and powerful scent. Supposedly sickness hates it. I was going to burn some in ceremony the other night, but Aya told me to clean my room before I burn it.

Benzoin + any type of pine resin makes me sleep like a baby.

Copal + Sahumerios is a current favorite to burn when I'm coming up, I feel like something about it makes the peak hit harder.

There's a lot of Aya traditions that revolve around flower baths, agua florida, and incense because the spirits hate the human smell. Curanderos wash their hands before doing sopladas, again because of the smell.

null24
#6 Posted : 3/8/2021 8:45:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

I haven't done so while under the influence of harmalas specifically, but i do burn syrian rue on charcoal during meditation/ecstatic movement routines etc. I combine it with other aromatic resins, usually copal, myrhh, and frankincense. Also sage is in the mix often and depending on the season, other local and hand collected plant materials like lavender or cedar. An interesting addition i found recently is to throw a little shredded or powdered acacia or mimosa in there. There's a very distinctive DMT smell that pretty cool.

This is nice to do outdoors too, as giant clouds of smoke can be made, and as we all know, all good spirits love big, nice smelling clouds to climb down (or up) from when they visit with us.

EDIT: cut out a strange autospell error... Wut?
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 3/8/2021 10:07:55 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

null24 wrote:
do burn syrian rue on charcoal osteen [huh?] [...] I combine it with other aromatic resins, usually copal, myrhh, and frankincense.
Me too!

Sometimes I have used the pre-blended esphand incense which contains - besides the rue seeds - also the whole seed pods (usually dyed a range of bright colours), the seeds of an umbelliferous plant most closely resembling hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium), a small amount of myrrh, and what I tentatively identify as alum (potassium aluminium sulfate) crystals - even though a Persian guy told me it was sugar its astringency strongly suggests otherwise.

An important part of burning esphand is the crackling and popping sounds it emits during the process, I feel.

I haven't done this under the influence of harmel tea but it goes pretty well with shrooms or cactus as well as being a good thing to do while brewing either of those things.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

murklan
#8 Posted : 3/8/2021 11:24:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wonderful thread! So great to share our thoughts about scents, smells, fragrances and the most forgotten sense in our times (I think).
I'm sure we have a whole lot to learn about the power of smell and how we are effected by it.

Jees
#9 Posted : 3/9/2021 11:02:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ms_manic_minxx wrote:
...Another REALLY potent blend I got recently is called Shawadawa...
So that's a tribe name, must try that, excerpt form mayaworldtrading:
Quote:
Shawãdawa Incense Mix is a beautiful and powerful mix of herbs and resins used by the Shawãdawa and other tribes for spiritual cleansing. It contains the resin known as Brazilian Frankincense, that the indigenous people of the region call Cipá and is also known as Breu Branco. It is said by the tribes that it is a smell that sickness can't stand and when somebody is sick or there are other problems, or in spiritual works in general it is always burned in abundance. Another herb used in this mix is called Sãssara, a herb known for its beautiful smell and also used in other mixtures like herbal baths and Rapé for energetic cleansing. Apart from the herbs used for their scent, dried Banisteriopsis Caapi is mixed in for its general spiritual power of cleansing and strengthening...

ms_manic_minxx
#10 Posted : 3/9/2021 11:46:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Breu Branco is really nice, too. It's easy for me to get into a meditative headspace (which is normally not easy Big grin ).

Here's a fun story - I have never seen anything related to Christianity while in hyperspace, though I was raised Catholic. I'm all for the golden rule, but if I had to pick, I belong to the church of Jurema (is that still a thing on here? Laughing ). I'm living at my parents' house right now and my dad is very religious. I burned some frankincense (boswelia neglecta) toward the end of an Aya ceremony. I actually burned too much, so I opened my door.

Shortly after, my dad walked through the hall and I saw the Virgin Mary behind him. I make a point of trying to not look away and sit with it when I have an experience that startles me, and this startled me like crazy. It was the full on ethereal Virgin Mary with a glowing halo and this intense, overpowering energy that was pure Jesus love.

It took me by surprise in part because I was still of the opinion that most often, people's contact with religious entities is based on what's inside them (all gods are the same god by another name), but I now stand corrected. This was my first encounter with the Virgin Mary/Christianity as an entity.

I don't know if I should tell my dad he has the Virgin Mary's blessing. I might save that for later.

In any case, that was some wicked frankincense. Surprised Now I am all about seeking the wisdom of magic tree saps.

I actually also wonder about the effects of breathing frankincense while MAO inhibited - oral ingestion of boswelic acid is contraindicated with MAOIs. If I burn more than the tiniest drop, frankincense feels like lightning in my brain and overstimulating. I've had to leave the room before. The effects don't last long, but a little bit goes a long way.

Voidmatrix
#11 Posted : 3/9/2021 11:58:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

You all are so awesome. I'm now going to look into an electric burner and burning some Rue I happen to have.

I love utilizing scents (essential oils, incense, sage, tobacco). So this has given me another little side project.

I really enjoy burnt tobacco, as it reminds me of my first few blast offs. One time a friend blew it in my face. Another just made sure some was burning in general, but not smoking it themselves. I feel like this sounds kind of weird, but it was really enjoyable oddly enough.

White sage is also a love of mine to burn.

One love
What if the "truth" is: the "truth" is indescernible/unknowable/nonexistent? Then the closest we get is through being true to and with ourselves.

Know thyself, nothing in excess, certainty brings insanity- Delphic Maxims

DMT always has something new to show you Twisted Evil

Question everything... including questioning everything... There's so much I could be wrong about and have no idea...
All posts and supposed experiences are from an imaginary interdimensional being. This being has the proclivity and compulsion for delving in depths it shouldn't. Posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 👽