We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mimosa's secrets - keeping a lid on it! Options

ms_manic_minxx
#1 Posted : 3/3/2021 4:30:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What do we know about the mystery alkaloids in Mimosa as of 2021?

I'm curious to hear experiences from crock pot users and people who do cold water extraction.

I have been doing the standard 3x3 cook of Caapi and Mimosa with distilled white vinegar for over a decade. I let the pots roar away on the stove and always ended up with a ton of liquid volume to reduce at the end. I topped them up with water as needed. It always worked.

They say plants teach you subtlety...

I recently purchased The Healing Power of Rainforest Herbs by Leslie Taylor (founder of Raintree Database). Any ape can boil herbs in a pot, but she goes into detail about how to *chef's kiss* boil herbs in a pot (and other preparation methods).

One of the principles she talks about is how the aromatic compounds of plants are extremely potent. Herbs must ALWAYS be boiled with a tight lid. If it smells good while it's cooking, your medicine is escaping. And then you want to let the herbs soak in the pot overnight before straining them.

I've been drinking Ajos Sacha daily for a while. Before I read the book, I was boiling it with the lid off and it tasted like dead shrimp. With the lid on, the herb keeps its snappy garlic flavor. Thumbs up

She also talks about drinking the herbs while they are hot so you get maximal benefits from the aromatic compounds.

I also recently got an electric incense burner and have been experimenting with natural resins in conjunction with Ayahuasca - a subject worthy of separate discussion, but I feel like the power of aromatics isn't given enough attention.

So, about Mimosa.

I have been drinking Ayahuasca every four days since the winter solstice to heal some things. To highlight the absence of variables, I have been drinking the same amount of Caapi from the same prepared batch (120g red vine/dose). I have been drinking the same amount of Mimosa, prepared from the same batch of bark (1g), though I have cooked up a few small batches through the course of this (following my standard 3x3 recipe).

However, the last batch of Mimosa I prepared, I followed all of the tips about decoctions in my book.

*I explicitly used only stainless steel for every step of the process
*I kept the Mimosa covered while boiling
*Because it was covered, I was able to lower the heat on my stove from 4 down to the lowest setting
*I did have to reduce uncovered, but my curiosity was piqued at this point, so I purposely reduced at low temperature too. In the future, I would cook with less water so there's virtually nothing to reduce at the end - easy if the lid stays on the pot

This Mimosa was much more fragrant, MUCH darker in color after decanting (like Cabernet), and there is a bitterness in the brew I have never tasted before.

Last night I had a ceremony, drank around 7:30pm. I had about .5g of my previous brew left, so I added .5g of this new brew, and... Shocked

The body load was slightly higher - some pressure in my head like I had eaten tyramine, though I hadn't (so I would strongly suggest tyramine diet restrictions to anyone who tries this). The visuals were insane and the peak lasted much longer. The color and quality of the visuals were different. Everything looked high res, crisp and defined, with a strict geometry like in Alex Grey's paintings. A gold hue permeated everything. I had a buzz continue well past midnight that was distinctly different from the usual Caapi afterglow. I woke from sleep around 3am into neon rainbow angelic visions. They faded once I got up and moved around, but I was still body stoned.

*I ate a banana with peanut butter around midnight, which may have been responsible for throwing me back into round two.

With my current materials, 1g of Mimosa is reliably like candlelight, or sometimes nothing at all. It's the minimum effective dose for me. Visions are usually light in color, nature oriented and more abstract, like a Pablo Amaringo painting.

So something about cooking Mimosa on low heat and keeping it covered stayed longer in my body, and significantly enhanced visions. This was like a fully immersive smoked DMT experience. I have had oral doses hit me like this before, but the amount of plant material required was much higher with my old cook method.

It was so strong that I will probably only take .75g next time if I'm drinking 100% new brew.

I am recalling someone's report of a no-heat extraction with Mimosa Tenuiflora that was mysteriously psychoactive, and now I am intrigued. Nexus, what's going on?

Can I conduct any experiments for us with my next brew?
Some things will come easy, some will be a test

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

bismillah
#2 Posted : 3/3/2021 4:48:37 PM

My Personalized Tag

My first thought is that aya every four days since the solstice seems quite excessive. That's none of my business, however...

I've heard rumours about heat-sensitive elements in mimosa bark that are supposedly destroyed when the plant material is boiled. Yuremamine was the name given to a suspected mystery alkaloid, although there may have been others. I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable to continue that thread.
It's also possible that the slower extractions are simply more effective. Maybe it's the case that quick, hot boils may be really good at getting the pigments out of the material (hence tricking you into thinking the brew is concentrated) but not necessarily at retrieving actives. It's also a possibility that you were just extra sensitive that time. Who knows?
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

starway7
#3 Posted : 3/3/2021 5:16:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Have you tryed the brew with acacia?

ms_manic_minxx
#4 Posted : 3/4/2021 2:48:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Have you tryed the brew with acacia?

Never tried Acacia. Crying or very sad Have you tried Acacia? Do you have any thoughts?

Quote:

It's also possible that the slower extractions are simply more effective. Maybe it's the case that quick, hot boils may be really good at getting the pigments out of the material (hence tricking you into thinking the brew is concentrated) but not necessarily at retrieving actives. It's also a possibility that you were just extra sensitive that time. Who knows?

That's the rub, I never did short boils at high temp - I always cooked Mimosa for 9 hours (because I was cooking it with Caapi Very happy )

9 hours uncovered at low-medium heat yields something pinkish-purple with DMT, that metabolizes in a time frame consistent with oral DMT. Taste is light, floral, and astringent.

9 hours covered on lowest heat yields something dark blood red that lasted much longer than what 20mg of oral DMT should have. Taste is astringent, earthy, and bitter.

While it's possible I had a one-off magical trip, I'm not convinced, because of the differences in color and taste, and also a duration that was hours longer. I could understand a trip going 30 minutes, or even an hour longer. But not hours on 15-20mg.

Quote:
My first thought is that aya every four days since the solstice seems quite excessive.

I got sick to the point of writing a DNR last year. My remaining options were more hardcore steroids, or pay out of pocket for experimental black box drugs. Was staring down the barrel of selling my car to go on disability.

So going all in with Aya was the first of my last ditch efforts to heal. If I couldn't do it myself, the plan was to go to Peru and see if a retreat could help. If the retreat couldn't help, then it would be off to begging for nasty treatments at the infusion center.

The miraculous thing is that Aya (plus a bunch of other plants) is coming through for me. I might be well enough to go back to work soon. I am so incredibly grateful for these plants. I plan on sharing everything that's happened here once I unpack it all. I had swelling in my brain and lost language capacity. It was a dark and horrifying place.

I didn't plan on drinking so frequently - but Aya threw the off switch on my symptoms more effectively than steroids. They resurfaced like clockwork every 4-5 days though. So right now it's the minimum effective dose to keep my immune system in check enough to let my body heal. It's literally in the hands of god(dess?).

It's eerie, too. I experimented with Aya out of curiosity in my 20s, and then abstained for a decade. When it was time for me to stop, I had this feeling like I knew to keep a stash of plants, just in case I ever got sick with something that modern medicine couldn't help. I think it was mostly educated guesswork (we live in a sick world), but 1% chance I developed time travel skills in a parallel universe and gave myself a heads up. Laughing

I seriously don't know where I'd be right now if I didn't have a dusty box of magic sticks in the attic and know how to cook them. It's humbling and crazy to think about.

If the plants wouldn't have fixed my body, they helped me make my peace and I can die satisfied. The struggle to accept that an illness might kill you is a not a fun thing to sit with. Studies found psilocybin helpful for death anxiety.

I don't think anyone should ever seek the plants without a purpose. But for some purposes, they can be quite helpful. Life affirming, even... Isn't that why we are all here? The need to feel the healing that comes from our connection to the universe, the planet, and each other? Love

slane
#5 Posted : 3/4/2021 7:45:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't have first-hand experience with oral DMT preparations. This thread caught my attention because I've been interested in ayahuasca after doing some reading on the nexus and finding out how little mimosa or acacia people are using vs. pharmahuasca (1-5g amounts seem common vs up to double that amount of expected DMT in extracted form).

Doing a quick internet search, it appears that almost all modern aya recipes call for cooking the plants on low heat, and avoiding a boil. I have no idea regarding traditional recipes of the amazon, or how they differ.

Even if no DMT is lost with prolonged higher temperatures, undesirables that get extracted and come along for the ride may influence body load, and draw away from the DMT effects. Perhaps even interfering with the metabolism of DMT after ingestion? I am only offering conjecture, I know. It's hard to think that the metabolism of non-DMT actives in the brew would get in the way of complete DMT metabolism, however I always trust empiricism over all else. Also, isn't it possible that other actives (yuremamine?) are preserved with the covered, low heat method and augmented the experience, so that the increased duration was not solely due to an increase in DMT concentration? The heightened strength of your medicine is fascinating and I look forward to hearing if .75g of the new brew remains as strong or stronger than 1g of your old brew.

ms_manic_minxx
#6 Posted : 3/7/2021 5:05:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Checking back in to report there is absolutely something to cooking it this way. I took .75g last night - the Mimosa feels about twice as strong cooked at low heat with the lid on. The duration lasted for about 3-4 hours, too. The crispness and coloration of visuals makes me think there are other alkaloids involved.

Even if we have no idea why this is the case, it's great news, because it's a method of conserving precious plant material. Love

This is from powdered bark I obtained over a decade ago, too.

dragonrider
#7 Posted : 3/7/2021 9:30:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What? You drink 120 grams of vine? Shocked That's like twice what i would usually do Very happy Very happy

I think that maybe cooking with low heat preserves tannins that would otherwise have been destroyed. They have MAOI activity and could form tannic DMT salts, wich could affect the experience.

ms_manic_minxx
#8 Posted : 3/7/2021 9:38:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It really depends on the vine, and whether or not you include the outer bark (more purgative). I've had vines rock my world at 50g, and other vines require 200g to hit MAO inhibition.

I do like to order my vine in large batches, though, because once I know where the threshold is, I don't have to tinker endlessly with dose or shoot in the dark.