We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Build up of mucus/phlegm in the back of throat? Options

Akasha224
#1 Posted : 10/8/2014 5:53:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I searched the boards and saw a few topics about a build up of mucus/phlegm after DMT/changa journeys, but this is a problem that I have had for as long as I can remember, even before starting my use of DMT.

Basically, there is always a build of mucus in the back of my throat. No matter how hard I try to hack it up and get it out, either through my nose or my mouth, it doesn't seem to want to get out. I've tried several remedies from friends and the internet, herbal teas, soda water with lemon, gargling salt water, drinking acidic juices, letting steam in through the nostrils, etc., but it will not go away no matter what I do. It's never been a massive hindrance, but I recently started integrating abdominal breathing into my meditation practice, and it's making it very difficult to control my breath. I find myself skipping a breath sometimes, or unintentionally inhaling/exhaling very quickly after a few controlled breaths, because I can feel it back there, obstructing the path.

Has anybody experienced something similar to this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Smile
Akasha224 is a fictitious extension of my ego; all his posts do not reflect reality & are fictional

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

corpus callosum
#2 Posted : 10/8/2014 6:06:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Mucus/phlegm in the back of the throat which isn't hawked up from the lungs usually implies post-nasal drip which can have a number of causes/exacerbating factors. Often with this the sufferer feels a persistent need to clear the throat through a guttural cough. There are a range of pretty effective treatments once the aetiology is fully established and include nasal steroids/cholinergics/anti-histamines, nasal saline douches, surgery if the nose is really structurally out of alignment, leukotriene antagonist pills and stopping any causative meds which have rhinitic side effects.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Bdevall158
#3 Posted : 10/8/2014 6:08:53 PM

Mind Wanderer

i dont have any personal experience with this, however according to the beliefs in mestizo shamanism in th amazon, the mucus or phlegm is the source of the shamans magical powers. Shocked ....
LOVE & LIGHT

Akasha224
#4 Posted : 10/8/2014 6:36:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

corpus callosum wrote:
Mucus/phlegm in the back of the throat which isn't hawked up from the lungs usually implies post-nasal drip which can have a number of causes/exacerbating factors. Often with this the sufferer feels a persistent need to clear the throat through a guttural cough. There are a range of pretty effective treatments once the aetiology is fully established and include nasal steroids/cholinergics/anti-histamines, nasal saline douches, surgery if the nose is really structurally out of alignment, leukotriene antagonist pills and stopping any causative meds which have rhinitic side effects.

It's almost like you're a doctor. Razz

I'll go down to the pharmacy and pick up a nasal saline douche and see if that helps at all. I have an appointment with my doctor next week as well regarding back/neck problems, so if it's not cleared up by then, I'll mention it to him. Thanks for your quick and informative answer.
Akasha224 is a fictitious extension of my ego; all his posts do not reflect reality & are fictional

Swinjin
#5 Posted : 10/8/2014 7:50:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have the same problem. I find the saline rinse works well. I use a neti-pot and it is pretty effective.

Also, when i smoalk sometimes it just all comes out during my trip. Pretty gross but it feels better.Big grin

starway6
#6 Posted : 10/11/2014 12:31:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have this all the time its just your body reacting in an alergic way to protect you by producing phlem..
Sinus rinses help but if inflamation is there in sinus you may want to try an ant inflamitory sinus spray..
This steroid spray helps A LOT!!
Take care...

Akasha224
#7 Posted : 10/11/2014 12:06:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Aftermath wrote:
Just wanted to post to say I have the same exact problem and have no idea what to do about it.

I tried using a nasal syringe with a saline solution and a lot of the crap came out, but there's still some there. I would start with that, as I'm already seeing a massive improvement after only using it two or three times.

tango
#8 Posted : 2/24/2021 2:58:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've had this my whole life until I stopped eating gluten, and then it was gone.