We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
My mason jar broke and I wasted everything. What did I do wrong? Options

Edgar000
#1 Posted : 9/26/2020 3:18:12 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I followed a tek and did everything it said. The guide said to keep the solution warm after adding in the Naptha - if the exothermic reaction from the Lye didn't already warm it, to stick it in boiling water to "double boil."

I stuck the jar in boiling water and the bottom broke 3 seconds later, the whole thing was wasted. I stupidly didn't account for the fact that glass doesn't handle rapid temperature changes well. I guess the author of the guide assumed people would remember this, though a disclaimer would have been nice.

Does anyone have advice for a beginner? Are there stronger, more robust glass jars I can buy somewhere (not beakers, don't want to be put on some list)? Does the solution *need* to be warm after adding the Naptha? Thanks.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

potnoble
#2 Posted : 9/26/2020 8:39:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello

I usually keep the water hot but not boiling.
What also helps is to let the lye do its thing for a while.
I usually mix the lye and water in a lab grade beaker. When the reaction is over i add
it to the mason jar.

Always wear protective gear and stay safe!!

Have a gud one!
Psychedelic drugs don´t change you, they don´t change your character,
unless you want to be changed. They enable change. They can´t impose it.
Alexander Shulgin

Hank Scorpio
#3 Posted : 9/26/2020 8:50:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The same thing happened to me too.

The solution doesn't need to be warm, but DMT has a better solubility in warm naptha vs. cold naptha, so having it warm will increase your yields.

Since I broke my first jar, I just make sure to put the jar in the water while the water is cold, and then bring the water slowly to boiling. Works like a charm.

Violet Quark
#4 Posted : 9/26/2020 9:13:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This is a tragedy but surely it's not completely wasted.
You still have The soup it's just watered down and full of glass.
I would sieve the soup carefully avoiding touching it and do a pull on what's left. I'm sure you'll get something out.

VQ

Wolfnippletip
#5 Posted : 9/27/2020 5:02:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I always mix my lye and water in a large pyrex measuring cup, with the cup in the sink just in case. It gets so hot it steams and has never broken. Stirring with a large plastic spoon while the lye is dissolving helps keep the mixture heating evenly.

I often use Voss water bottles for extraction vessels. The lid seals well and the inner seal seems to be good for at least two lye/naphtha extractions.

The Voss water bottles have never broken on me in a hot water bath, but then again I don't add it to boiling water. I put it in hot water and then bring the temp up, but not to boiling.

Wolfnippletip attached the following image(s):
pyrexmixingcup.jpg (16kb) downloaded 110 time(s).
vosswaterbottle.jpg (51kb) downloaded 110 time(s).
My flesh moves, like liquid. My mind is cut loose.

Blazon
#6 Posted : 9/27/2020 7:30:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

@Edgar000

it isn't supposed to be boiling water mate-that is 100C you need 45-60C tops,get one of those infra thermal thermometers-they are quite popular now hand held devises fighting covidSmile

I used 0.5l Callypso bottles they are sturdy and have metal lid,if you follow Cyb's hybrid salt tek just don't add the additional 140ml of water works just fine and you will be ok to use 0.5l bottle.Also this way you can use an eye dropper easily as your Naptha is in the neck of the bottle.

GLTASN
#7 Posted : 9/27/2020 8:39:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you had an airtight lid the pressure from the heat bath could have broke the glass. Try venting the lid to remove pressure when double boiling.
"It may be that my role in the universe is, to question my role in the universe."

Bisy
#8 Posted : 1/12/2021 6:48:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Its not just sudden changes u gotta pay attention to. If you add your solvent and cap the vessel and leave it to sit, a significant rise in temp will create enough pressure to break vessel.
Everything i say is fictional, I just wanna be cool and fit in.

Fruit is life
#9 Posted : 1/14/2021 9:57:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I can +1 vouch for the reliability of the 800ml voss bottles..
The self that talks doesn't know, the self that knows doesn't talk.