We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Blindness - Optic Nerve Stimulation Options

Kartikay
#1 Posted : 3/20/2012 8:42:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm looking for any expert scientific opinions, personal anecdotes, relevant references, or just words of encouragement and amusement.

In December, during my R&R on deployment, I suffered a snowboarding accident and experienced a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). I never lost consciousness, but I did lose memory for roughly 4 days and have been told that I was "very out of touch with reality".

When I regained the ability to make memories(yay!), I discovered that 1) I was completely paralyzed on the entire right side of my body from the shoulder down, 2) my vision did not merge, so I was seeing double, and 3) I had lost the right side of my vision in both eyes to where I could only see about 6 degrees radius to the right of where I was looking.

Luckily, the US Military has incredible insurance and medical facilities. Before you decide that this post is too depressing to continue reading, know that I have complete control of the right side of my body at this time (yay again!).

I began to regain control of the right side of my body about 1.5-2 weeks later, and (this is important) for every muscle that I did not regain control over, I was given electro-stimulation therapy. The effect was immediate. After just one session on each muscle, I had regained nearly full control of the movement again. Physical therapy has since strengthened the muscles and response time and I'm now running like an Olympian (triple yay!)

Unfortunately, legal medicine has no way to stimulate nerves that only exist beneath the skull(dukes!), which is the only way to reach the optic nerves(double dukes!). Side note: my vision merged together properly by mid-January (yay depth perception!). Unfortunately, I lost a great excuse to wear my hospital-issued eye patch and great everyone with "Argh!" You know, like a pirate. Or a nerd (guilty).

Here's where the mystery begins! I recently received the results of an MRI that showed no permanent damage to the Optic Nerves or their connection to the brain and eye, or any of the systems involved in sight. So... the obvious question is "why can't I see?" And here's where my pseudo-science theory begins:

Fact 1: electro-stimulation re-established communication between my brain and my body
Fact 2: psychedelics wildly stimulate the visual functions of the brain(open-eyed distortions, closed-eye visuals)

My theory is probably obvious at this point, but here it is:
Psychedelics may stimulate and return the automatic/normal function of my vision system.

Your thoughts?
He led a double life. Did that make him a liar? He did not feel a liar. He was a man of two truths. - Murdoch, Dame [Jean] Iris

Kartikay is a character role that I play when I feel like escaping reality. Nothing I say under the pseudonym "Kartikay" reflects any of my actual life or personal history.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Orion
#2 Posted : 3/20/2012 8:59:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very sorry you hadto go through all of that, but I'm glad you seem to have overcome most of it Smile I wish I did know more on the matter, but I do certainly send you vibes of positivity, and thank you for sharing. May I ask how you had the accident? I'm a sucker for details like that Razz
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Kartikay
#3 Posted : 3/20/2012 9:11:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lol, I don't remember the fall itself, Orion, but my friends and other eye-witnesses said that I had done a 540 degree horizontal twist (1.5 spins), landed and then fell backwards while trying to brake. So... success! And then fail...
He led a double life. Did that make him a liar? He did not feel a liar. He was a man of two truths. - Murdoch, Dame [Jean] Iris

Kartikay is a character role that I play when I feel like escaping reality. Nothing I say under the pseudonym "Kartikay" reflects any of my actual life or personal history.

aliendreamtime
#4 Posted : 4/11/2012 3:39:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm no doctor, but if your comfortable with taking them anyways...why not? Then again, it may make it worse.

You have your hypothesis. Now experiment!

corpus callosum
#5 Posted : 4/11/2012 6:05:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Im glad you're recovering!

From the info youve presented it seems like you probably had some swelling (edema) of your LEFT tempero-parietal area which fits in nicely with your memory issues, limb paralysis on the opposite side and your loss of the RIGHT half of your visual field bilaterally.The problem with your failure to 'yoke' your eyes together suggests a sixth nerve palsy (Did you have a squint?).

In this area of the brain the optic nerve has dispersed to form the optic radiations which are not seen as a discrete area on MRI.Strictly speaking the optic nerve only exists as 'a nerve' until exits the back of the eye where it becomes the optic chiasm,by passing towards the pituitary area where it crosses and merges with its opposite.It goes on to form the optic tracts more posteriorly before fanning out to form the optic radiation.

I dunno if electrical stimulation of a sensory system such as vision would be analogous to stimulating the voluntary motor system, even if it were possible.

I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

GnosisOfAllogenes
#6 Posted : 1/4/2021 6:17:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I very much hope you have recovered...