We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Grafting weed? Options

g13juggalo
#1 Posted : 1/19/2010 4:02:00 AM
DMT-Nexus member

If you were to take say a really fast growing, high yield strain of weed, and a really potent strain, and graft the potent strain on top of a fast growing potent strain, would it produce really potent bud, while still having a high yield and fast growth? Any other ideas involving grafting weed?

Also, anyone have ideas for grafting mimosa hostillis to a faster growing mimosa without DMT, or something along those lines?

btw, theres a myth that you can graft bud to hops, but it doesn't work. But I'm not interested in that, I'm interested in grafting bud to bud.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 1/19/2010 4:30:12 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Genetics, Genetics, Genetics

you can't do what you're talking about and expect anything to happen. why do you think breeders take so much time BREEDING their strains? Living organisms don't just absorb the qualities of other living organisms grafted on to them, that's just not how life works. Even in the case of cacti, im pretty sure at no point do they ever really "leech" qualities from each other, they just grow off the same biomass.

Here, sounds like you could use some material on marijuana and genetics, this is an offhand link found after 2 seconds of googling:

http://www.scribd.com/do...s-Processing-and-Potency

Chapters 2-4 should help you clarify some thoughts...

peace
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

psilyguy
#3 Posted : 1/19/2010 5:55:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

In fact, you can graft mj to hops. What you get is a mj branch growing on a hops plant. They do not leach anything from each other. Same with mj. If you graft an indica on to a sativa, you end up with an indica branch (same as the original plant, cause it's essentially a clone) growing on a sativa plant. Nothing changes about either one.

SnozzleBerry
#4 Posted : 1/19/2010 4:14:36 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

psilyguy wrote:
If you graft an indica on to a sativa, you end up with an indica branch (same as the original plant, cause it's essentially a clone) growing on a sativa plant. Nothing changes about either one.

Except your plant grows funky and if you had any hopes of training it, you can toss those out the window. There's ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHATSOEVER that you should be grafting weed from one plant to another with the hopes of achieving any sort of beneficial result.

Now, as an exercise in botany, nature, and exploration, sure graft away, but it makes no sense, especially in the context of tyhe initial question to do this as the high potency strain and fast-growing/high yielding strain will ultimately just compete with each other for space and light. As I said, to satisfy your curiosity, by all means go ahead, it'll definitely be interesting to watch.

If you're trying to actually achieve something, DO NOT DO THIS, don't take these words as harsh, i would just hate to see someone waste precious time, space, and resources on something that will produce far less than optimal results. Believe me, i understand how precious/delicate each cycle is and how beautiful harvest is. You will miss out on all of this if you try what you outlined in your OP.

Feel free to ask any other cannabis-related questions, growing is so psychedelic, i love watching the 3d fractals created by the expanding leaf and floral patterns.

Happy Growing!
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

g13juggalo
#5 Posted : 1/19/2010 7:34:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ahh. Alright. Thanks.
It helps cacti grow, so I wasn't sure if you grafted a potent strain ontop of a fast growing strain if the fast growing strain would continue to grow or not.

SnozzleBerry
#6 Posted : 1/19/2010 7:58:11 PM

omnia sunt communia!

it would continue to grow, assuming it didn't get infected/injured during grafting, it would just alter the plant in a manner that would not be desirable. Light is one of the most crucial elements for maximum growth and the light distribution also effects the manner in which the plant grows. By grafting a faster strain onto a more potent one or vice versa you're going to make part of the biomass grow faster than the other part, adversely affecting the growth pattern.

NOTE: When I use adversely in this thread I mean it in the sense of optimal bud production...as already noted the plants should grow "fine" from a biological/botanical perspective, you will merely handicap your ability to fully reap what you have sewn.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

g13juggalo
#7 Posted : 1/19/2010 11:25:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
it would continue to grow, assuming it didn't get infected/injured during grafting, it would just alter the plant in a manner that would not be desirable. Light is one of the most crucial elements for maximum growth and the light distribution also effects the manner in which the plant grows. By grafting a faster strain onto a more potent one or vice versa you're going to make part of the biomass grow faster than the other part, adversely affecting the growth pattern.

NOTE: When I use adversely in this thread I mean it in the sense of optimal bud production...as already noted the plants should grow "fine" from a biological/botanical perspective, you will merely handicap your ability to fully reap what you have sewn.

Ahh. Alright.
I thought it'd be an interesting subject. I don't know much about grafting anything but cacti, and have recently been exploring the subject.

g13juggalo
#8 Posted : 1/19/2010 11:27:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

psilyguy wrote:
In fact, you can graft mj to hops. What you get is a mj branch growing on a hops plant. They do not leach anything from each other. Same with mj. If you graft an indica on to a sativa, you end up with an indica branch (same as the original plant, cause it's essentially a clone) growing on a sativa plant. Nothing changes about either one.

Mj will rarely ever graft to the hops plant however.

LawnBoy
#9 Posted : 1/20/2010 1:05:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The only reason I have even considered grafting cannabis was to shorten the vegetative period. Say I have a plant with a stalk as thick as a tree. The rootball is just massive and can support a lot of growth. I can graft cuttings to it. Instead of just killing the rootstock after harvest, throw some scions onto it and veg and flower all over again.

This would only be an alternative to revegging. Revegging, might just be more effecient than what I described above. The plant might just grow back by itself quicker than the scions would grow.

As for acacia, that might be beneficial somehow. I have no experience with growing it. I would not try grafting outside of the genus. It is just impractical, except with cacti.
Posts made by me are either fictional or false, or both. I do not endorse, condone or engage in illegal activities. I love the state, my big brother. "I" myself am fictional. I am a collection of individuals, that are not entirely human. "I" do not exist in reality. Any resemblance to an individual bound by laws is merely coincidental. I lie and tell very little of the truth; do not believe me, and, especially, don't hold "me" accountable for any posts.