We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Freeze Precipitation from Limonene Options

Scylla
#1 Posted : 12/29/2020 10:01:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Just curious if anyone has tried freeze precipitating from limonene before;

I did a search but could not find a report on this.

I don't see why it would not work under the assumption limonene works to extract spice.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

BnaiRagshee
#2 Posted : 12/30/2020 3:25:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There is a reason that people salt limonene, the alkaloids do not crash out in appreciable quantities in a normal freezer temperatures. And if you go too cold like with dry ice, the limonene can actually freeze.
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 12/30/2020 5:00:08 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Scylla wrote:
I don't see why it would not work under the assumption limonene works to extract spice.

Different solvents have different temperature/solubility curves for a given substance. The solubility of DMT in limonene remains high enough at freezer temperature that it does not precipitate. So, either the curve is flatter, or it's higher up the chart.

This is where phase diagrams for solute-solvent systems come in useful.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Scylla
#4 Posted : 12/31/2020 8:07:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for the replies guys!

has anyone experienced phase extraction difficulties using limonene?

For other compounds I have found limonene needs a lot of encouragement to extract the goodies. Like 45 min in a hot water bath at 70 C with vigorous shaking.