We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
I think I want to devote my life to the study of psychedelics Options

bismillah
#1 Posted : 12/20/2020 5:22:12 PM

My Personalized Tag

So, here's a personal post. Read through it if you have a moment.

Right now, I'm "studying" music at the university of Toronto (studying in quotes because this online sh*t is a sad excuse for an education). I used to think I want to be an artist, but... I've been so miserable. I have a history of depression; however, this is unrelenting. I feel so wasted—there's no need for my music in the world and I have no motivation to pursue it anymore. I'll spare my detailed analysis of why I feel this way, as my mind is already set and I don't want to waste your time. I have thought about it in depth.

I've been toying with my other talents, namely in the sciences. Watching the current state of psychedelics—a slow return to mainstream acceptance, new developments in research, my personal benefit from these substances—I've been thinking that there is a place for me in this new wave. I'm particularly interested in the chemical and pharmacological aspects, and I'd like to move in that direction. The thing is, I feel so lost. Where does one even begin? It's not like I can go to my registrar and say, "hey, what fields should I pursue to study illegal drugs? What professions are needed in psychedelia right now?".

I guess it sounds a little like I'm asking "tell me how to live my life". I tried to think of a rebuttal, but I think that would be a fair assessment, honestly Laughing

Any thoughts are appreciated.
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Tomtegubbe
#2 Posted : 12/20/2020 6:22:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Have you tried asking the spice? While not specific instructions, I have received several times a strong feeling about the direction I want to take.

Getting to study these compounds in an official setting might not be a path you can deliberately take unless you are very lucky. I believe there are other ways to commit, however, and artistry might not be a bad way at all. Good luck, anyway! Big decisions.
My preferred method:
Very easy pharmahuasca recipe

My preferred introductory article:
Just a Wee Bit More About DMT, by Nick Sand

Seeingisbelieving
#3 Posted : 12/20/2020 7:03:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just had an interview with Andrew from the university of Canterbury in New Zealand. His master thesis is comparing psychedelic experiences within and without a therapeutic setting. Social issues like this are bound to come up with legal markets now becoming a reality. Most people are very interested in the changes that people experience after psychedelic use. These substances can and do get used as medicine all over the world. If you want to come at this field I would come at it at the angle of healer. Helping others is very important and psychedelics have the potential to help a whole lot of people. I would be interested to know why and how certain psychedelic compounds would be useful in different contexts. Which compounds could be used together or separately to facilitate different healing for different sessions. Getting a survey going to split certain therapeutic benefits of different substances to figure out which substances worked for different conditions.

WanderingCat
#4 Posted : 12/21/2020 12:37:56 AM

The White Haired Cat

I can agree, DMT started my curiosity for chemistry but then I learned about harmalas too. This knowledge continues to rise overtime. Eventually I wanna make a personal book of my knowledge on psychedelics by their molecular structure to detailed trip reports. Really anything that I've achieved or learned from them.
Grass Grows When The Tiny Cat is Dreaming

Phangz wrote:

"this is your height on dmt.."

dreamer042
#5 Posted : 12/21/2020 2:29:16 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Actually CIIS has developed a program. This is basically the "fast track" to guaranteeing yourself a position in this emerging industry.

Of course you can always "slow track" through traditional academia with an eye toward ending up in a cognitive neuroscience lab that would be open to these kinds of studies. This field is becoming more accepted by the day and I'd wager psychedelic studies will not be taboo in any lab within the decade.

For more ideas and information about tracking through academia, MAPS has a very good article worth reading on the subject.

Most of the actual work of the industry will be taking place in a clinical setting with the biggest need for psychiatrists and licensed therapists.

Hope it helps, and best of luck in your endeavors.Thumbs up
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

lsrvnt
#6 Posted : 3/12/2022 9:48:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

bismillah wrote:
So, here's a personal post. Read through it if you have a moment.

Right now, I'm "studying" music at the university of Toronto (studying in quotes because this online sh*t is a sad excuse for an education). I used to think I want to be an artist, but... I've been so miserable. I have a history of depression; however, this is unrelenting. I feel so wasted—there's no need for my music in the world and I have no motivation to pursue it anymore. I'll spare my detailed analysis of why I feel this way, as my mind is already set and I don't want to waste your time. I have thought about it in depth.

I've been toying with my other talents, namely in the sciences. Watching the current state of psychedelics—a slow return to mainstream acceptance, new developments in research, my personal benefit from these substances—I've been thinking that there is a place for me in this new wave. I'm particularly interested in the chemical and pharmacological aspects, and I'd like to move in that direction. The thing is, I feel so lost. Where does one even begin? It's not like I can go to my registrar and say, "hey, what fields should I pursue to study illegal drugs? What professions are needed in psychedelia right now?".

I guess it sounds a little like I'm asking "tell me how to live my life". I tried to think of a rebuttal, but I think that would be a fair assessment, honestly Laughing

Any thoughts are appreciated.

we want to hear your tunes love!

Psilosopher?
#7 Posted : 3/12/2022 10:00:13 PM

Don't Panic

It would be wiser to aim for neuroscience in general. Aiming for something niche and highly specific usually ends with disappointment when one doesn't get it.

Psychedelics are cool and everything, but isn't the only thing worthy of study. Not saying that you should give up on your goal, but to be more realistic. Aim for the generalists approach to psychedelic science, and then vigorously pursue it if the opportunity arises. That opportunity will never come unless you have your foot in the door, i.e. studying general neuroscience.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."