We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Bestine vs Lab Grade Heptane for Re-X Options

jibbs
#1 Posted : 10/6/2020 10:23:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi, I was curious if anybody knew what would be the best option for doing a re-x with heptane. I have found two options on Amazon, but at very different prices. I'll include the links to each product

The first option is Bestine, which is $15.89 for 32 ounces. I know this has been mentioned many times before as a good option for heptane, but I can't really find a definitive answer as to whether it is pure heptane or not.

The second is lab grade heptane which claims to be 99%+ pure heptane. This is quite a bit more expensive at $47.95 for 16 ounces. Do you think this would be worth getting over the Bestine and would it provide a superior product?

Has anybody had experience using Bestine over a lab grade heptane and has some advice / input.

Thanks!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Elrik
#2 Posted : 10/7/2020 6:26:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

jibbs wrote:
...I can't really find a definitive answer as to whether it is pure heptane or not...
When in doubt, look up the SDS [MSDS] for a product.
Take a look at This One as an example.
You just scroll down to the components or composition section to see whats in the stuff.
Its best to read the most recent SDS you can find, in case the formula has changed over the years, but bestine never has. Its essentially pure heptane.
Now take this knowledge and apply it to other products with vague ingredient labels. I've found good sources for chemicals where the chemical was only listed in the SDS, and not on the product label.

jibbs
#3 Posted : 10/7/2020 6:35:10 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you! Very useful info

Hailstorm
#4 Posted : 12/16/2020 7:28:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Bestine is equivalent to n-Heptane for all practical purposes, including re-X. I would only use pure n-Heptane for analytical work.

Bestine is a mixture of linear and branched hydrocarbons, mostly heptanes. Its lightest fractions start to boil around 92°C, the heaviest ones boil around 100°C. Pure n-Heptane boils at 98.42°C.

If you really care (or just want to have fun) you can fractionally distill Bestine (with an inexpensive glassware kit) and discard anything that comes over below 97°C and above 99°C.