We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
possible parasitic infection from eating raw mushroom*or* the OTHER kind of mushroom poisoning Options

null24
#1 Posted : 12/14/2020 2:52:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

A serious question:
Has anyone heard of/experienced getting ghiardia or parasites from eating fresh mushrooms in the field?
About four weeks ago, in my ultimate wisdom, I decided to eat a few freshies while out foraging. Absolutely 100% on ID, so that isn't it, but a week later i began vomiting and experiencing severe diarrhea (sorry it is what it is). Two weeks of this, with being able to function somewhat during the day and puking all night, it got better for 36 hours and then reared back up with a vengeance last night. Finally went to the hospital and got pumped with saline and zolfram, and had tests run. I am awaiting the results from a stool test, but my self-diagnosos is giardiah since I tick all the symptom boxes.

I'm actually hoping for a parasite, because then i have an answer to what is going on inside of me.

Anyway, these were out of a organic community garden, which means manure fertilizers likely. I didn't say i was smart. So I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this, the OTHER kind of mushroom poisoning. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, so if i do get that diagnosis I'm going to be loud about it. I just want to put this out there as a warning of sorts, since I know it is almost a rite of course to eat a couple freshies in the field, for whatever reason, and see if anyone else around here has heard of or had similar experiences.

Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Metta-Morpheus
#2 Posted : 12/14/2020 11:17:12 PM

Fly with the sea birds and sh!t

ModeratorSenior Member

Very sorry to hear this. That sounds like a really rough time. I hope you start feeling better Null.
“You think that’s air you’re breathing?” -Morpheus
“Whoa fellas, I’m feeling kinda bowling ball-ish.” -Leopold Butters Stoch
It’s got what plants crave. -Brawndo

Magic is here for us all to feel. Naming it isn’t what makes it real.
Running around for us all to know, noticing isn’t what makes it so... -Avett Brothers

coAsTal
#3 Posted : 12/14/2020 11:20:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry to hear of your misfortune brother.

I have cause to doubt your self-diagnosis, however. If you were to get ill from a food-bourne parasite, it would be extremely unlikely that it would take a full week to manifest. Almost every kind of food poisoning manifests within 24 hours of ingestion. (You can look up food poisoning info online to explain why's and how's)

You may well have eaten some bad food, or picked up a stomach bug somewhere-- but it seems most likely it was within a day or so of your symptoms manifesting (if it was food)-- not a week prior.

Please post the test results when you get them-- and I hope you feel better!

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 12/15/2020 12:27:36 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

null24 wrote:
my self-diagnosos is giardiah since I tick all the symptom boxes.
Eggy burps? But giardia comes on within 24hrs as coAsTal mentions. At least it did when I got it.

Either way, that doesn't sound nice and I wish you a speedy recovery.

I've had an intestinal worm before that could well have been linked to consumption of raw liberty caps. Liver flukes are also a possibility if you eat something that grows near sheep dung. Take care kids!

If you want, I can relate the story of how I got rid of a roundworm. (This account may be on the forum somewhere?) Worms can cause delayed and prolonged gastrointestinal effects, I've found Neutral

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

coAsTal
#5 Posted : 12/15/2020 3:37:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, a parasite cleanse regimen isn't a bad idea every once in awhile anyway-- I typically do one annually just because.

endlessness
#6 Posted : 12/15/2020 12:14:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No clue what you had, hope you are alright!

I can imagine there are such risks, but Ive never heard of it happening before.

Purely anecdotal, but Ive eaten tons of shrooms straight off cow dung for many years and never had a noticeable problem. Id just break it off above where it touch the dung, obviously... In those times, I'd also take ayahuasca and such brews regularly though, so might have had the anti-parasitic effect saving me... Sometimes I made a tea with the mushrooms, which was prob a good idea to remove parasites, but often I'd eat it raw too.

null24
#7 Posted : 12/15/2020 11:25:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I have cause to doubt your self-diagnosis, however. If you were to get ill from a food-bourne parasite, it would be extremely unlikely that it would take a full week to manifest. Almost every kind of food poisoning manifests within 24 hours of ingestion. (You can look up food poisoning info online to explain why's and how's)

Hmmm. I may be wrong about the timing, but I do think it was more than 24 hours. Couldv'e been like 48-72. IDK, everything is fuzzy at this point. I know for sure that it isn't food poisoning, although it could be a virus, just due to the sheer duration. I thought it had resolved, but I woke up at 5:00 this morning because I had to vomit, and that makes it 4 weeks and a day since it began. Ugh. Yes, making Dr. appts...

Quote:
Eggy burps? But giardia comes on within 24hrs as coAsTal mentions. At least it did when I got it.

Yeah man, that. It is the most disgusting thing like, ever. Ever. Jeez, I can't stand it. I thank Santa Claus that I can isoloate myself for the sake of my roomies. I mean it's bad. And all the other unpleasantness involved, lucky me- oily water s###s. It just really resemble giardiah if it isn't. Double ugh.

Still waiting for my test results. This really sucks. I went from being sick to being scared to being relieved to now being pretty damn alarmed at my health. Doing all this sickness bs while navigating Zoom meeting job interviews. Somehow doing pretty well there but sheesh man, I need a break! Oh well, it ain't covid at least(?)Wut?

And yeah, on the mushies: I've never heard of anything like this, I was, and most mycovenators are, almost taught to consume in the field so...IDK, maybe I'm putting a jacket on the poor shroom that doesn't fit it, but otherwise IDK the culprit. Won't stop me from hunting or partaking, but I am done with freshies, man.
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

coAsTal
#8 Posted : 12/16/2020 1:17:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Do some reading on SIBO -- and I would consider fasting (save for lots of water with electrolytes) to clear your system and starve off the rotten stuff that's causing your illness. Keep in mind that if/when you take antibiotics, you'd be wise to take probiotics and eat naturally fermented foods to re-populate your gut flora, which will be napalmed by your illness and antibiotics--

Really hope you feel better soon brother-- serious stuff for it to be going on this long, regardless of the root cause...

null24
#9 Posted : 12/16/2020 4:10:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

coAsTal wrote:
Do some reading on SIBO -- and I would consider fasting (save for lots of water with electrolytes) to clear your system and starve off the rotten stuff that's causing your illness. Keep in mind that if/when you take antibiotics, you'd be wise to take probiotics and eat naturally fermented foods to re-populate your gut flora, which will be napalmed by your illness and antibiotics--

Really hope you feel better soon brother-- serious stuff for it to be going on this long, regardless of the root cause...

Thanks,I've been fasting whether I want to or not, ha, and am adding electrolytes to my water. I appreciate the pro/anti biotic advice as well, it is something I'm cognizant of. I have learned the hard away about the napalm of which you speak in the past and the importance of gut flora.

I admit, I'm starting to get worried, and I admit to being reticent to getting medical attention earlier. I just know that stomach things are difficult to diagnose, let alone get attention for, and, well, covid. Cherish your health!
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*