We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV162163164165166NEXT»
official extraction help thread Options

Jimbo1776
#3261 Posted : 11/22/2020 3:35:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Had a interesting event doing a sodium carb wash in a very narrow shot glass. Upon separation the water settled as expected, followed by the slag forming a perfect wax like seal over the water followed by a nice yellow tinted Bestine. I was able to seperate my washed extract poured right from the glass, water sealed in the bottom. No pipette required.

Just was curious as this was my second wash ever, is this a typical occurrence or was this interesting lucky happenstance?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

grimlid
#3262 Posted : 11/22/2020 7:11:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jimbo1776 wrote:
Had a interesting event doing a sodium carb wash in a very narrow shot glass. Upon separation the water settled as expected, followed by the slag forming a perfect wax like seal over the water followed by a nice yellow tinted Bestine. I was able to seperate my washed extract poured right from the glass, water sealed in the bottom. No pipette required.

Just was curious as this was my second wash ever, is this a typical occurrence or was this interesting lucky happenstance?

Just a side note and sorry to hijack..... @Jimbo1776 .... do you find the carbonate wash really improves your quality?
I ordered some recently hoping to really remove some of the potential impurities from the NPS or lye soak in my finished molecules.
"I think; therefore I might be."

Aeroman
#3263 Posted : 11/24/2020 7:52:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Please help!
I posted a couple of days ago, I'm still not having any success with my extraction attempts, I could really do with some suggestions, I followed Cybs' Hybrid ATB 'Salt' Tek to the letter, the only divergence is the solvent I use "Essence C", it's what French psychonauts use, it is supposed to be similar to naphtha, it evaporates cleanly and boils at around 60°, "naphtha" is hard to come by in Europe. I used 50 grams of shredded bark that I ground finely in my coffee grinder, 20 grams of the same bark in a mimosahuasca brew gets me straight into a breakthrough trip so I know there is decent levels of DMT in it.

I tried using petroleum ether (wundbenzin) but it either disappeared into the base or evaporated, there was no solvent layer to draw from afterwards.

I have done 2 pulls from the same base, the first looked thick and milky which made me optimistic but no crystals formed.

The second, I reused the recovered solvent and added some more Essence C and mixed on and off for 45 minutes with the jar in a bath of hot water 50-30°C, it wasn't as milky and resulted in an oily residue but no crystals.

I've had a look at the troubleshooting guide in the wiki but would really appreciate some pointers from some members with more extraction experience. How would you resolve this?

Woolmer
#3264 Posted : 11/24/2020 8:37:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Aeroman wrote:
Please help!
I posted a couple of days ago, I'm still not having any success with my extraction attempts, I could really do with some suggestions, I followed Cybs' Hybrid ATB 'Salt' Tek to the letter, the only divergence is the solvent I use "Essence C", it's what French psychonauts use, it is supposed to be similar to naphtha, it evaporates cleanly and boils at around 60°, "naphtha" is hard to come by in Europe. I used 50 grams of shredded bark that I ground finely in my coffee grinder, 20 grams of the same bark in a mimosahuasca brew gets me straight into a breakthrough trip so I know there is decent levels of DMT in it.

I have done 2 pulls from the same base, the first looked thick and milky which made me optimistic but no crystals formed.

I've had a look at the troubleshooting guide in the wiki but would really appreciate some pointers from some members with more extraction experience. How would you resolve this?

What temperature is your freezer at? How long did you leave it in the freezer? The colder it is the faster DMT will precipitate! If your pulls are milky before hitting the freezer it should be precipitating easily.

Aeroman wrote:
it wasn't as milky and resulted in an oily residue but no crystals.

There is nothing wrong with oil/goo, although a re-x could allow it to crystalize rather easily especially if it is from MHRB.

Aeroman wrote:
I tried using petroleum ether (wundbenzin) but it either disappeared into the base or evaporated, there was no solvent layer to draw from afterwards.

You are having issues with emulsions here. It could not have evaporated in a closed container. How much lye and water did you use? There are many threads on the Nexus on how to clear emulsions... Use the search bar! Smile

Aeroman
#3265 Posted : 11/24/2020 10:53:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you Woolmer.

Quote:
What temperature is your freezer at? How long did you leave it in the freezer? The colder it is the faster DMT will precipitate! If your pulls are milky before hitting the freezer it should be precipitating easily.
It was at its maximum setting 5/5. It's really cold. I don't know the temperature but water freezes very quickly.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with oil/goo, although a re-x could allow it to crystalize rather easily especially if it is from MHRB.
I found the goo thread after posting, so I vaped the goo that was extracted. There wasn't enough to get trippin but I did feel a mild effect.

Quote:
You are having issues with emulsions here. It could not have evaporated in a closed container. How much lye and water did you use? There are many threads on the Nexus on how to clear emulsions... Use the search bar!
I followed Cyb's .pdf instructions precisely, so each step added up = 640 ml of water. Everything up to the point of the pull went fine, I'm guessing that the solvent and freeze precipitation variables are the issues I need to resolve.

Should petroleum ether be used at room temperature instead of mixing with a heated bath? I replaced it with Essence C afterwards and that separated no problem.

This morning I experimented with room temperature solvent, Essence C is described as light Naphtha, there is another version called Essence F which is described as heavy naphtha, some French psychonauts claim to have had success with that.

Powerthoughts
#3266 Posted : 11/24/2020 3:59:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello i have done a extraction using the lazymasns tek. Below is a picture of the result on a scale. It looked a bit dirty so i started to recrystallize it with naptha. But the only visible dirt that was left looks like household dust. therefore i think the end product will look very much the same as the first picture. I have read the thread "enough goo questions", but i just want to be sure it is safe to use my DMT freebase to make changa with caapi leaves.
Thanks for answers Smile

https://upload.vaa.red/b5Xbt#50176814ab659665a17124ff97dd9091

https://upload.vaa.red/2iZJBc#62149deba8966796baa67fed978560c3

downwardsfromzero
#3267 Posted : 11/24/2020 4:27:48 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Aeroman wrote:
This morning I experimented with room temperature solvent, Essence C is described as light Naphtha, there is another version called Essence F which is described as heavy naphtha, some French psychonauts claim to have had success with that.

My very first successful extraction was with a heavy naphtha (BBQ lighting fluid, in the UK). Its pulling power was impressive, and the freeze precipitation went like a dream.

If you try (and with any luck succeed) pulling with Essence F, it would be best afterwards to recrystallise the product using the Essence C you already have.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

downwardsfromzero
#3268 Posted : 11/24/2020 4:29:42 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Powerthoughts - that looks completely normal. The latest thinking is that traces of water in the naphtha contribute to a reversible polymerisation of small amounts of the DMT, leading to production of orange goo.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Aeroman
#3269 Posted : 11/24/2020 6:47:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Aeroman wrote:

My very first successful extraction was with a heavy naphtha (BBQ lighting fluid, in the UK). Its pulling power was impressive, and the freeze precipitation went like a dream.

If you try (and with any luck succeed) pulling with Essence F, it would be best afterwards to recrystallise the product using the Essence C you already have.
Thanks, that sounds promising, essence F is much cheaper so I hope it is effective.
I still have some petroleum ether (wundbenzin) left, if I recrystalise with that, would the crystals be safe enough for pharmahuasca oral consumption?

downwardsfromzero
#3270 Posted : 11/24/2020 11:52:16 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Aeroman - the petroleum ether should be fine for recrystallisation, and the resulting product will be fine for ayahuasca once all the solvent residue has evaporated. Traces of pet ether would be essentially harmless. The hazard from swallowing simple hydrocarbon solvents like that is the risk of lung damage if the liquid gets into the lungs. That won't happen with a few tens of milligrams of alkaloid in a capsule.

Jimbo1776
#3271 Posted : 11/25/2020 7:57:42 AM
DMT-Nexus member

grimlid wrote:

Just a side note and sorry to hijack..... @Jimbo1776 .... do you find the carbonate wash really improves your quality?

I am a complete novice, that said I have successfully extracted 10 grams and was trying out washing on some of my more impure pulls.

I am not a fan of the sodium wash, seems to lose a lot of spice and doesn't do any better than a basic re-x. But bear in mind at my experience level I am by no means a reliable or experienced source.

On a side note, Bestine vs Naptha.... All my research says Bestine is better for purity on a re-x but it seems harder to work with. It doesn't evap as quickly and tends to leave oily residue what's behind the Bestine love?

downwardsfromzero
#3272 Posted : 11/26/2020 10:59:07 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Jimbo1776 wrote:
grimlid wrote:

[...]

I am not a fan of the sodium wash, seems to lose a lot of spice and doesn't do any better than a basic re-x. But bear in mind at my experience level I am by no means a reliable or experienced source.
[...]
You're not hijacking, - this is a FAQ thread Smile

Here's a tip - don't be sloppy with the chemical names. It would be less sloppy to say "carbonate wash". The sodium could be accompanied by a nearly limitless variety of counter-ions: carbonate, bicarbonate, hydroxide, cyanide, fluoroacetate... and clearly these are a lot more relevant to what will happen than the sodium is. Sodium melts at 98°C so you could even have been washing with actual liquid sodium using a steam bath - hopefully that wasn't the source of your disappointment Big grin

The sodium carbonate wash is broadly considered to be outdated and unhelpful nowadays and your view serves to confirm this.

Aeroman
#3273 Posted : 11/29/2020 3:47:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I attempted a second CYB's salt Tek extraction yesterday but still no spicey joy. Wut? Mad

The tek uses VM&P Naphtha which I can't find here, apart from that I follow the tek instructions closely.
I have tried 4 different solvents now, none seem able to become saturated with DMT. (Petroleum ether, Essence C - described as light naphtha, Essence F and odourless White spirit) The mixing is done in a heated bath, average temp = 48°C. It is mixed energetically 4 times over 45 minutes leaving 10 minutes to separate in between mixes. I evap but even with a teaspoon of solvent left in the dish, I never get the saturation clouding when I blow on it. When I take the dish out of the freezer, the solvent is cloudy but the only thing that seems to be extracted is plant oil which scraped up is a tiny amount of material.The last 2 attempts, I have tried 3 combining pulls before evaporating.

My freezer is the top compartment of a built-under small fridge, I set it to maximum when attempting to freeze precipitate, water freezes quite quickly. I usually leave it for 12 hours before checking for crystals.

To make sure that the bark does contain decent DMT levels, I prepared and drank an ayahuasca brew with it yesterday, 25 grams of bark was enough for a breakthrough trip.

I feel so close to success because I can smell the DMT does anyone have any suggestions?

PS I've just finished the membership quiz, I hope to be able to post in the main forum soon.

downwardsfromzero
#3274 Posted : 11/29/2020 8:27:40 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Aeroman wrote:
My freezer is the top compartment of a built-under small fridge, I set it to maximum when attempting to freeze precipitate, water freezes quite quickly. I usually leave it for 12 hours before checking for crystals.

It's possible that your freezer is not up to the job, especially if your bark is rather weak.

Also, if your NPS contains aromatics, or something like acetone or MEK (but I don't see why it should - however, who knows what tampering may have occurred nowadays...) then freeze precipitation won't work. I once screwed up by somehow getting isopropanol into a mixture which was supposed to be freeze precipitated.

Quote:
even with a teaspoon of solvent left in the dish, I never get the saturation clouding when I blow on it.
Again, this seems like either DMT is too soluble in your solvent or there's too small an amount of DMT in there.

Aeroman
#3275 Posted : 11/29/2020 9:57:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the feedback downwardsfromzero.

All the solvents I have tried have been used successfully for DMT extractions according to posts on this forum and others, they are all close to naphtha in terms of ingredients and evaporate cleanly, not sure about the white spirit though, the extraction I tried with that has been in the freezer all day, there is just a yellowish sludge forming, no crystals.

I wish I knew a way to work out what the issue is. I should be getting at least a few crystals forming. I'm wondering if addition of the salt solution might not be optimum so this evening I'm trying a simple straight to base method using petroleum ether (as per instructions).
Just testing 25 grams of bark this time.

downwardsfromzero
#3276 Posted : 11/30/2020 1:42:16 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Aeroman - what base have you been using? I'm asking just to be certain of this as another possible variable in your process.

I'm still inclined to think the problem is a combination of weak freezer and, sadly, weak bark - unless you've successfully extracted from this exact same batch before? Is that what you used successfully with lazyman's tek? And you completed that extraction with full evaporation and no freeze precipitation?

Quote:
I'm wondering if addition of the salt solution might not be optimum

Some people (e.g., Brennendes Wasser) have reported diminished yields from addition of salt, so this is a distinct possibility.

Aeroman
#3277 Posted : 11/30/2020 8:52:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Aeroman - what base have you been using? I'm asking just to be certain of this as another possible variable in your process.
I'm using sodium hydroxide (it says it's pure on the container).The soup did turn black.
I made some ayahuasca from this same batch of bark this weekend, I had a nice strong breakthrough trip from 25 grams of bark, that's why I think there should be some DMT to extract. It is possible that the bark is weak, it's marketed as 'Tepezcohuite' targeted at the natural cosmetics crowd and sold legally in this country, perhaps they are only allowed to sell weaker strains.
I found a STB tek online that specifically includes German petroleum ether (wundbenzin), exactly the same as I bought, it is recommended to leave it in the freezer for 24 hours so I won't disturb it until tomorrow morning.
There doesn't seem to be any need to evap and reduce the solvent according to the instructions. https://www.zauberpilzbl...xtract-dmt-simple-guide/

If the salt solution is the issue, is there something I can do to salvage those extraction attempts?
They contain 100 grams of bark but it won't be a big loss, I am learning loads thanks to these failures.

downwardsfromzero
#3278 Posted : 11/30/2020 6:54:42 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Tepescohuite can often be trunk bark and gets used for its tannin content in the treatment of skin diseases.

25g in a brew suggests the bark could indeed be rather on the weak side. There's no way you'd be describing an experience with 25g of good bark (which would deliver you a whopping 500mg DMT) in terms of anything other than utter terror and possibly blackout - unless, perhaps, you have an anomalously low amount of 5-HT2a receptors in your brain?

Besides the latter, my diagnosis is still weak bark, maybe in a weak freezer. I'd say you can expect 0.4% yields at best.

Have you tried measuring the temperature of your ice compartment?

You could try recovering from the naphtha with a vinegar wash, evap, sodium carbonate paste to base, dry, then pull with acetone. That should be sufficient to show you whether the naphtha pulled anything much of interest.

Quote:
Is that what you used successfully with lazyman's tek?
Is it the same bark?

Aeroman
#3279 Posted : 11/30/2020 7:30:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Is it the same bark?
Yes, I buy it shredded.
No idea which part of the plant it comes from. You're probably right, I started with what I thought would be a strong dose - 10 grams, I was pleasantly surprised to find it gave a psychedelic experience but I was looking for the intensity of vaped freebase so I upped the quantity until I reached 25 grams.
So if trunk/stem bark contains 0.03% DMT, 25 grams of bark would contain below 75 mg of DMT, right? I might be able to extract up to 750 mg from 250 grams. That might still be worth it.

There is a different source, I'll have to experiment with their powdered bark, it seemed to be equally as weak when I brewed it a while ago.
Once I get an extraction tek to work, I'll have to up the quantity of bark, mimosa hostilis root bark is supposed to be illegal in this country so it's risky to import some but I can just walk down the road and buy the stem bark cheaply in a shop here where I live.

I don't have a thermometer that measures negative temperatures at the moment, I'll have to do the best with what I can get hold of and the equipment I have, maybe leaving the solvent longer in the freezer will achieve similar results, what do you think?

If I manage to get even a tiny amount of spice extracted, it's probably not worth saving those previous extraction attempts, the bark is so cheap to buy. But thanks for the pointer.

Aeroman
#3280 Posted : 11/30/2020 8:15:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I found this thread:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...spx?g=posts&m=971511

I would imagine the fastest way to extract DMT from large amounts of weak stem bark is to do a big ayahuasca brew over several hours, concentrate the brew phases to a managable amount and basify that before attempting an extraction.

What do you think?

«PREV162163164165166NEXT»