We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
who here makes music on the nexus???? Options

ambi-lysergance
#1 Posted : 1/16/2010 8:52:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very happy

by music I mean software sequenced sample based electronic stuff of all genres. ( people making music using programs such as cubase, fruity loops, ableton, acid, logic platinum, ect ect ect

I had an idea which I feel could be really creative and enjoyable to all members.

users not actually participating could still enjoy the finished results by listening and connecting to the creativive musical masterpieces of fellow nexonites!

a rough guideline to participants would be this, but hey I would like some feedback and alterations on how to proceed with this type of project.

say for instance we all started with one zip pack of samples ( kicks, percussion, synths, ambiance, noize, ect ect)

then set a time scale to download the sample pack which ( how the samples are chosen is up for debate) and then create a piece of music with it.

wouldnt it be interesting to hear what each differant participating member created using the same samples??

the tracks could even be influenced by psychedelic states of conciousness and we could add small anecdotes or trip reports to each piece of music to help fully submerge our listeners the fellow nexeons in to the experience!!!

this was just an idea I had to project some creativity and positive energy into the forum at a time when I feel it is needed
Very happy

anybody interested in this????
ambi lysergance is a fictional character who in the realms of fantasy indulges in such topics as science, arts and psychoactive plant induced visions

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

obliguhl
#2 Posted : 1/16/2010 9:36:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would like that. It's just a matter of finding time for this project, but it would certainly be very interesting. I'm not very experienced in creating electronic music but I do have a midi keyboard and some recording software.

Well, the samples would have to be free so anyone can participate .....

Another idea ...maybe a different project:

Everyone creates a very light instrumental track without using a metronome. Then, everyone trys to mix a coherent song from the submitted audio. I did something like this a while ago with a friend and the result was very interesting. Maybe we could also smoke some to connect telepathically. No idea if this would work though Laughing

ambi-lysergance
#3 Posted : 1/16/2010 10:25:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very happy thanks for your input obliguhl

in terms of royalty free samples this site is the daddy www.freesound.org

all they ask is that you accredit any samples you have pillaged from them and share your finnished work.

this site has loops of and samples of every instrument and sound however obscure known to man so im sure we could have a healthy pool of samples to work with if we were to proceed with such an adventure.

I get your thing on the timeframe thing, maybe it would be better that when we have a suitible and fruitfull zipfile of samples to download it would be upto the artist to unleash on us as and when they are happy with the result, because yeah you can hardly put a timeframe on creativity, that would be counterproductive. how silly of meEmbarrased

I also like your idea, do you have this experiment recorded it certainly would be interesting to hearVery happy

like i say it could be fun to have a bash, all musical tastes however obscure would be greeted with an elfish excitementVery happy
ambi lysergance is a fictional character who in the realms of fantasy indulges in such topics as science, arts and psychoactive plant induced visions

#4 Posted : 1/16/2010 11:07:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

great idea, I'd be interested. I use Reason, but havent had a copy for over a year now. If I can get a copy installed this would be a great way to get me back into it!
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

ambi-lysergance
#5 Posted : 1/16/2010 11:15:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

1664 wrote:
great idea, I'd be interested. I use Reason, but havent had a copy for over a year now. If I can get a copy installed this would be a great way to get me back into it!

you should 1664 if anyting it will give you an incentive to start producing again!

I am familiar with reason, with the right plug ins and gadgets so to speak it is an awesome program, infact im sure the prodigy wrote a full album using this.

I am in a similar position to you, I have used sony acid pro, logic, and most recently cubase but changes in priorities ( childrenVery happy ) and computers I myself have stopped making music and dont currently hve the software installed but im sure if we really wanted to we could get some basic software ripped back on to our harddrives and let the games commence! Very happy Very happy

#6 Posted : 1/17/2010 12:29:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, The Prodigy wrote "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned" almost entirely on Reason 2.5!! Amazing advert fo that program. If I can find a place to download it (I can't really justify buying it) Embarrased then I will give it a whirl!

Don't set any expctations if this does happen though, I never really got good with it, but I'll happily try!
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

obliguhl
#7 Posted : 1/17/2010 9:10:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Freesound.org looks fantastic!! I'll have to ask the guy for the said project first...

I'm a fan of samplitude btw ...but that isn'T such a good program for loop based music. For that I currently use fruityloops, but I do want to take a closer look at ableton. Tried Reason but somehow didn't like it.