We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Hey everyone! Options

Dr-Daveman
#1 Posted : 10/25/2020 1:29:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello everybody! Thank you for taking a moment to read a bit about me as I introduce myself.

First of all, I am very excited to be part of this community. And wow! What an exciting time to be engaged in the psychedelic awakening that is happening across the world and notably across the USA. In addition to the Nexus, I admire the advances that groups like MAPS (Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies) and researchers at Johns Hopkins have contributed through published journals, therapeutic implementations, and legality within our society. I have recently been involving myself with various groups like MAPS and the Nexus in the hopes to bring about positive (and possibly transcendental?) change for the advancement of all of humankind.

I would like to share a bit about me - I have been interested in the unique conscious-expanding and healing power of psychedelics for half my life now. Like many others, my experiences in my adult life with psychedelics have been taken through a completely different lens compared to those early experiences of my youth. After battling with alcoholism for years, I decided to revisit psychedelics in hopes of self-healing. It is with great happiness that I write this today, having just last week celebrated one year of sobriety from alcohol for the first time in my life! I give thanks nearly daily to psychedelic agents for having literally saved my life from alcoholism. I find it fascinating that their use nearly completely eradicated the craving for alcohol in my life. In comparison, all prior attempts at sobriety were exhausting battles of willpower to see how long I could fight the cravings. The absence of craving is undoubtedly the unique gift that psychedelics offered to me which has resulted in the lasting freedom I am enjoying.

After having had such profound healing in my life as a result of psychedelics, it is with a burning passion that I go forward to help others find the same opportunity for healing. In truth, my hope is to one day be a sort of Neo-Shaman.

I just recently became a physician. I believe that puts me in a very good position to be able to encourage the psychedelic revolution in the United States and ultimately achieve my goal to facilitate the healing of others through the use of psychedelic medicines.

My undergraduate degree is in biochemistry. I will tell you I was never all too enthusiastic about chemistry... until I was extracting DMT! To speak a little to my experiences with psychedelics: I have successfully extracted DMT and implemented the e-mesh vape technique, cultivated Psilocybe Cubensis, and am currently extracting mescaline and propagating Bridgesii cuttings. I have had a couple of experiences with ayahuasca guided under shamans. I am also well versed in LSD, and in my early days I was very active with the use of salvia. Most of these I could not have done without the help of the Nexus. I have read hundreds of pages through this forum and am highly impressed by the scientific focus through which the Nexus engages. It is for that reason that I am extremely grateful to be part of this group.

Personally, I am very passionate about the healing power of the mushroom. I think that the ease of cultivation, minimalization of negative side-effects, the spirit and healing presence as a true organic entheogen, and ideal time duration makes psilocybin a nearly perfect compound. Notably, I wish to share an incredible synergy I read about on this forum (and with trepidation proceeded to try). The results were astounding! I feel this must be spread: administration of a low to moderate dose of mushrooms combined with DMT vaporization post-peak. It is a smoother transition, much easier to remember, incredibly beautiful and synergistic, and ultimately results in less pre-flight anxiety. By far, it is my preferred way to vaporize DMT.

So that's my story everyone. Thank you for reading!

And a quick question in case anyone can provide some information on this: I am performing a mescaline extraction following the Ekstaza protocol. I despined, deskinned, and removed the core as described by Phlux, prior to drying. As this is my first time doing a full A/B mescaline extraction, I was hoping to minimize complications, particularly the risk of emulsion. So far, everything is going well, but that was a time intensive aspect of the extraction process. I was wondering, can anyone comment on their experiences with cacti skins and how they contribute to the risk of emulsions with dried San Pedro when using STB teks such as the Ekstaza protocol? I appreciate any insights.

TLDR; I am a biochemist and medical doctor who has received healing from alcoholism through psychedelics. I wish to help others find similar degrees of healing. This is my motivation to engage in activism with the psychedelic and medical communities. Psilocybin has been my primary focus and passion, and the compound synergizes incredibly well with vaporized DMT. Currently I am exploring mescaline, and I question the impact of the skin on emulsions with STB extractions.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

strtman
#2 Posted : 10/25/2020 8:09:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That’s a great introduction.

Good to hear you have abolished alcohol. What psychedelics involved were truly effective?

Did you ever try changa? Easy to make, plain caapi leaves and DMT will do the job.

Succes on your mission to help people.

Quiet the mind and the soul will speak

Loveall
#3 Posted : 10/25/2020 1:49:19 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

Hello and welcome.

Regarding cacti emulsions, you may have heard this already, but heat (warm water bath no direct flame) is a reported to help. Other things that have been reported to help in general are adding salt, adding more base, stirring emulsion with a rod (glass or wood skewer), and tapping (or sonication if available). There could be other things I'm not mentioning. Good luck on your cacti extraction.

My favorite cacti extraction is to go to a STB paste, pull with limonene, titrate with sulfuric water, reduce the neutral water in a pot, crash mescaline sulfate by adding acetone, catch that in a filter, wash filter with acetone, quick dry, dissolve filtrate in water, evap slowly and scrape needles 😍
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

Kobranek
#4 Posted : 10/25/2020 2:16:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcome Dr. Daveman!!
I too have been shown the destructive ways with my unhealthy relationship to alcohol through psychedelic revelation. Notably the dmt and psylocybin synergy as you explained perfectly, it really is an easier transition and is like stepping through glass. The breakthrough's take you to some interesting landscapes to say the least, almost like witnessing something sacred and ancient.
My alcohol dependence was compounding my migraine attacks where I had gotten to a point of deep depression and contemplating suicide. Alcohol dependence is generational within my family and the socially acceptable aspect was something I struggled with for quite some time. I stayed off the bottle for four straight years until I transitioned back into occasionally drinking, mostly socially, definitely a healthier perspective and relationship. No more migraine attacks associated with the occassional drinking sessions. Each time I drink, it is a reminder why I don't care to go over board. Definitely a slippery yet potent substance.
What striked my interest about dmt and psilocybin was the medicinal vasoconstrictive properties that the 5ht2a serotonin receptor angonists provide. Research further proved that the common migraine meds like imitex that use tryptans as their active ingredient are very similar in their structure and mechanism to tryptamines. On a certain level I feel the tryptamines are able to unlock the root cause of anguish which is what drives the cycles that create imbalance in one's life. Unlike tryptans they keep you pumping yourself up with them each time an attack occurs without hitting at the root cause.
I too am preparing for my travels with mescaline, been tending to my peyote garden for the past five years. Steadily germinating, grafting, and potting!
Wishing you the best!!

Dr-Daveman
#5 Posted : 10/25/2020 4:36:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your responses and interests everyone!

(Forgive me, I'm just figuring out how to respond appropriately to comments)

@strtman
"Good to hear you have abolished alcohol. What psychedelics involved were truly effective?"

- It was the second time I dosed LSD after taking about a 5 year break from using it back in college (I just hadn't actively looked around and was immersed in my medical education. Then it showed up in my life again.) First dose was 1 tab dosed at 155 mics. It was fun, shits and giggles again as I remembered it. I went for another dose about 2 weeks later, debating between 230 and 310. My God am I happy I went with 230. I was experiencing early levels of ego-death, very uncomfortable, the eyes of LSD were inescapable in my apartment. Just after peaking, I walked outside on this incredibly beautiful day and my eyes filled with tears at the shear beauty of it all. And in that very moment I realized "This is the answer! This is so much better than alcohol OMG." I was so alive! I then proceeded to perform hill-sprint after hill-sprint, still completely ripped on LSD, into this unbelievable blood-red sunset. Every time I reached the top felt like a miracle. I was crying in exhaustion, tears of triumph, awe, and ecstasy rolling down my face. Thank God it was a very private dirt road because that must have been a sight to see! Hahaha. And I never looked back after that moment. It's interesting because I find LSD to be the least "therapeutic" of all of the psychedelics since it lacks that "ancient" quality of the natural entheogens in my opinion. Yet nonetheless, it is the one I credit to having been the medicine that freed me from the bonds of alcohol.

"Did you ever try changa? Easy to make, plain caapi leaves and DMT will do the job."

- No, I have not. I actually have Caapi leaves, Harmine FB and HCl, THH FB and HCl. I'm very interested in 2 step changa with SubL 1:1 THH HCl:Harmine HCl, about 30 mg, then 20-30 mins later vaping 20-25mg of DMT. It has been hard for me to find a good time to do this since I have ADHD and am treated with stimulant medicines (a no-no to mix even with smoked or SubL MAOIs). That being said, I'm currently on a tolerance break from the stimulants and have been feeling the DMT calling recently... thank you for reminding me, this might be a good time to explore that as I have heard incredible things. I actually have envisioned that the combination of mushrooms + MAOI (whether oral or SubL I'm not yet sure) + vaped DMT is likely the perfect trifecta, but that is a very very advanced combination that will undoubtedly take time to ease into. But changa is a great start in that direction, no doubt!

Dr-Daveman
#6 Posted : 10/25/2020 4:44:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Loveall wrote:
Hello and welcome.

Regarding cacti emulsions, you may have heard this already, but heat (warm water bath no direct flame) is a reported to help. Other things that have been reported to help in general are adding salt, adding more base, stirring emulsion with a rod (glass or wood skewer), and tapping (or sonication if available). There could be other things I'm not mentioning. Good luck on your cacti extraction.

My favorite cacti extraction is to go to a STB paste, pull with limonene, titrate with sulfuric water, reduce the neutral water in a pot, crash mescaline sulfate by adding acetone, catch that in a filter, wash filter with acetone, quick dry, dissolve filtrate in water, evap slowly and scrape needles 😍

My first extraction with DMT resulted in an emulsion and I used every single trick in the book and eventually was able to break it, with excess water, basing, and NaCl being the most effective.

For the mescaline, I was planning on using HCl and limonene. I have a question actually about the acetone purification washes - is it necessary to make anhydrous "dry" acetone to do these washes? Like how much mescaline would be lost if I use pure acetone, but don't dry it in Magnesium Sulfate first?

Also, how many acetone washes are necessary? 69Ron suggested 2 with acetone and 1 with IPA. I would appreciate any insights on the purification steps you might offer (and I'm not sure how much it differs with sulfuric acid compared to HCl).

Thanks!

Dr-Daveman
#7 Posted : 10/25/2020 4:58:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Kobranek wrote:
Welcome Dr. Daveman!!
I too have been shown the destructive ways with my unhealthy relationship to alcohol through psychedelic revelation. Notably the dmt and psylocybin synergy as you explained perfectly, it really is an easier transition and is like stepping through glass. The breakthrough's take you to some interesting landscapes to say the least, almost like witnessing something sacred and ancient.
My alcohol dependence was compounding my migraine attacks where I had gotten to a point of deep depression and contemplating suicide. Alcohol dependence is generational within my family and the socially acceptable aspect was something I struggled with for quite some time. I stayed off the bottle for four straight years until I transitioned back into occasionally drinking, mostly socially, definitely a healthier perspective and relationship. No more migraine attacks associated with the occassional drinking sessions. Each time I drink, it is a reminder why I don't care to go over board. Definitely a slippery yet potent substance.
What striked my interest about dmt and psilocybin was the medicinal vasoconstrictive properties that the 5ht2a serotonin receptor angonists provide. Research further proved that the common migraine meds like imitex that use tryptans as their active ingredient are very similar in their structure and mechanism to tryptamines. On a certain level I feel the tryptamines are able to unlock the root cause of anguish which is what drives the cycles that create imbalance in one's life. Unlike tryptans they keep you pumping yourself up with them each time an attack occurs without hitting at the root cause.
I too am preparing for my travels with mescaline, been tending to my peyote garden for the past five years. Steadily germinating, grafting, and potting!
Wishing you the best!!

Wow, what a powerful story! I'm glad to hear you have been helped by psychedelics as well. That's really interesting, I have been wondering if there could possibly be a middle ground achieved by psychedelics in a relationship with alcohol, as opposed to an all-or-nothing approach. It sounds like that is indeed possible (though I am too afraid to give up my sobriety to try right now.)

"Stepping through glass." Well said.

Regarding the migraines - yes, you make a very good point! Imitrex in the medical community is described as an "ergotamine derivative." And amongst the psychedelic community, that terminology probably conjures the thought of LSD immediately. That's a very good insight, and in fact, I know that DMT is being explored for the use of cluster headaches (which we currently are terrible at offering treatment for, minus the use of 100% O2, but that is not easy to get at home.)

With your peyote garden - are you using grafted peyote, or natural roots? I've been curious to grow grafted peyote since I cannot imagine waiting 30 years to consume these cacti, but I have heard that grafted causes loss of potency (but also that degrafting allows time for the cactus to mature and concentrate the mescaline.) I'd be curious to hear what you have learned on that front.

Kobranek
#8 Posted : 10/25/2020 9:53:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dr-Daveman wrote:
With your peyote garden - are you using grafted peyote, or natural roots? I've been curious to grow grafted peyote since I cannot imagine waiting 30 years to consume these cacti, but I have heard that grafted causes loss of potency (but also that degrafting allows time for the cactus to mature and concentrate the mescaline.) I'd be curious to hear what you have learned on that front.

I am growing through both grafting and soil. Have 3 dozen started in soil and another 3 dozen grafted and grafts blow the soil grown away. My soil grown started flowering and fruiting last year when I can get grafted specimens to flower in ten months. Grafted yotes tend to stall out around a little over a year on perioskis, then they will go into pots to root, harden and stress. I am still new to growing peyote and am looking forward to my first experience as I wouldn't be this far along with this project without all the info that this great community, notably Wakinyan and Anne Halonium, have contributed. I definitely have fallen in love with the process and am going to make the most of my harvests, growing is definitely addicting in of itself!

Loveall
#9 Posted : 10/25/2020 11:00:38 PM

❤️‍🔥

Dr-Daveman wrote:
Loveall wrote:
Hello and welcome.

My first extraction with DMT resulted in an emulsion and I used every single trick in the book and eventually was able to break it, with excess water, basing, and NaCl being the most effective.

For the mescaline, I was planning on using HCl and limonene. I have a question actually about the acetone purification washes - is it necessary to make anhydrous "dry" acetone to do these washes? Like how much mescaline would be lost if I use pure acetone, but don't dry it in Magnesium Sulfate first?

Also, how many acetone washes are necessary? 69Ron suggested 2 with acetone and 1 with IPA. I would appreciate any insights on the purification steps you might offer (and I'm not sure how much it differs with sulfuric acid compared to HCl).

Thanks!

I don't have much experience with HCl. With sulfuric, acetone does not need to be dry.

I like sulfuric salting/tiration a lot more because of the nice crashing when acetone is added to the reduced salted pulls (see dg's thread). It gives a very clean product. HCl is more work in my experience.

If you tirate carefully (pH 6-7) and add acetone slowly the product is very clean. I've seen more stuff come through at lower salting pH, and also something else crashes from the reduced water at higher at higher acetone content. All of this that can avoided up front (a brute HCl+dry would bring this stuff along I believe).

Allegro Vivo
#10 Posted : 10/26/2020 6:38:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's an amazing and inspiring story, Dr-Daveman. So much there to study and learn from. One thing that jumped out at me was your mention of cluster headache treatment. I've been a sufferer for much of my adult life but, as I haven't had a cycle in 6 or 8 years, am hoping that I've outgrown them.

Yes to O2. In fact I bought a welder's tank years ago and have used it to great effect in the past. There is also anecdotal evidence of relief from a regimen of high-dose vitamins. All of this would be interesting areas to study but I know that there's not much research being done, unfortunately. Well, compared to other more common maladies.

I'm still in my infancy regarding DMT and await my first real journey. I'd tried mushrooms a couple of times but they made me nauseated and jittery. Had the same jitters with LSD though I intend to try again shortly. Since I've been taking trazodone for sleep for a year or so, but had stopped it temporarily, maybe that influenced it.

Really looking forward to your own experiences. Thanks for reading this far!

Dr-Daveman
#11 Posted : 10/26/2020 6:49:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Loveall wrote:
I don't have much experience with HCl. With sulfuric, acetone does not need to be dry.

I like sulfuric salting/tiration a lot more because of the nice crashing when acetone is added to the reduced salted pulls (see dg's thread). It gives a very clean product. HCl is more work in my experience.

If you tirate carefully (pH 6-7) and add acetone slowly the product is very clean. I've seen more stuff come through at lower salting pH, and also something else crashes from the reduced water at higher at higher acetone content. All of this that can avoided up front (a brute HCl+dry would bring this stuff along I believe).

Well Loveall, I was very close to proceeding with the HCl salting technique until I learned more about the sulfate salt hahaha. I have yet to purchase the acid, and this sulfuric acid technique is incredibly intriguing to me. I re-read the dg post and would be interested if you could help me weigh the pros and cons (given the setting of performing this technique in an apartment kitchen.)

HCl:
Pro - Overtitration when salting either evaporates (if minimally overtitrated) or is easily washed with acetone (if grossly overtitrated). Either way, a good pH meter seems like a brilliant addition to my home chem set.

Con - Acetone must be anhydrous for the purification step. I am concerned about the very high solubility of the mescaline HCl salt with water, and the potential for mescaline HCl to be lost just from acetone grabbing water out of the circulating air while performing cleaning steps, despite making it anhydrous first. (I'm in the Midwest and it is often fairly humid)

Sulfate:
Pro - Damn those crystals are pretty! No need to make anhydrous acetone means 1 less step and thus less possibility for errors.

Con
- Unforgiving if accidentally overtitrating as excess acid remains with the mescaline salt.
- Prone to emulsion?
- Requirement to use a coffee filter? (I had past issues with these)

Questions:
1) DG's post showed the mescaline sulfate water solution producing an emulsion when pulling from NP. Does this always happen? (It seems that HCl does not have this issue, at least I have not read about that)

2) I am kind of an anti-filter type of person after having done a DMT extraction. After freeze precipitation, some of the crystals were inevitably lost in the filter itself as the ambient temperature warmed the NP solvent, redissolving the crystals into the filter Crying or very sad . Also, I didn't really like scraping the filter since it inevitably scraped some paper product with it off of the filter (this was more of an issue when vaporizing DMT leading to... unexpected firey explosions Shocked hahaha. This would certainly be less of an issue when ingesting mescaline sulfate orally). To circumvent this issue with DMT, I ended up just quickly decanting the NP from my jars and rapidly evaporating off the lingering solvent with a fan, leaving very nice DMT crystals in the jar which were easily scraped up with a blade.

All of that to build up to this question: is it possible to bypass the coffee filter method when separating the mescaline sulfate crystals from the acetone solution somehow?

Some ideas to circumvent this:
- Pipetting off acetone from mescaline sulfate water while in an icebath.

- Or, is it possible to get a solid ice to form with mescaline sulfate crystals during freeze precipitation, separate the acetone by quickly decanting the liquid acetone from the ice containing mescaline sulfate, then letting that ice warm and evaporate, leaving pure mescaline sulfate crystals behind in a glass dish?

My apologies, I know this is quite a lot to ask of you. Any insights would be very much appreciated. Big grin

Dr-Daveman
#12 Posted : 10/27/2020 1:31:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Allegro Vivo wrote:
That's an amazing and inspiring story, Dr-Daveman. So much there to study and learn from. One thing that jumped out at me was your mention of cluster headache treatment. I've been a sufferer for much of my adult life but, as I haven't had a cycle in 6 or 8 years, am hoping that I've outgrown them.

Yes to O2. In fact I bought a welder's tank years ago and have used it to great effect in the past. There is also anecdotal evidence of relief from a regimen of high-dose vitamins. All of this would be interesting areas to study but I know that there's not much research being done, unfortunately. Well, compared to other more common maladies.

I'm still in my infancy regarding DMT and await my first real journey. I'd tried mushrooms a couple of times but they made me nauseated and jittery. Had the same jitters with LSD though I intend to try again shortly. Since I've been taking trazodone for sleep for a year or so, but had stopped it temporarily, maybe that influenced it.

Really looking forward to your own experiences. Thanks for reading this far!

Right on, thanks for reaching out! Glad to hear your headaches have gone into remission! That's actually a great suggestion, getting a Welder's tank! I will keep that idea in my back pocket for patients who could benefit from O2 therapy.

It's common to get nausea from mushrooms, I certainly did my first few times. Now I associate it more with just a bunch of chitin passing through my gut (imagine eating a bunch of crab shells lol. That's chitin too!) So mentally I'm able to distinguish "undigestible food products" from "Oh God I'm sick!" What I was going to suggest was actually a lemon-tek tea. You don't even need to eat the organic chitin-filled mushroom mass with that method and it significantly reduces nausea too.
That being said, LSD isn't supposed to make you nauseous, but I've thrown up on it before because of an absolutely riiiiiiiipppppping come up haha. AKA "the butterflies."

I'm teetering on my own reacquaintance with DMT, as it has been a couple of months since my last deep-dive. I find that starting out with doses of about 10 mg, about 5 times over the course of a week can really enhance my daily meditation. This also nullifies the pre-flight anxiety. You get used to sudden onset, the smell, taste, duration, headspace. And since the dose is just above threshold, it's really comforting and just feels goooood. After about 5 small trips like that, I feel ready for the deep-dive and will hit 1-5 doses of 20-25 mg over the course of a week or weekend. Then process those lessons for another couple of months until I feel the realm whispering its invitation to have me return to learn more.

I'm a firm believer in high frequency dosing in a short time interval, followed by an appropriately lengthy period for integration of the lessons. But the key: starting light, building confidence, then jumping in with 2 feet. This has worked very well for me; perhaps it can offer you a new way to frame the experience in your mind as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment. It feels heart-warming to slowly become part of this awesome group Smile

Allegro Vivo
#13 Posted : 10/28/2020 7:46:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dr-Daveman wrote:

I'm a firm believer in high frequency dosing in a short time interval, followed by an appropriately lengthy period for integration of the lessons. But the key: starting light, building confidence, then jumping in with 2 feet. This has worked very well for me; perhaps it can offer you a new way to frame the experience in your mind as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment. It feels heart-warming to slowly become part of this awesome group Smile

An intriguing suggestion for a newcomer like myself. I may need to do a re-freeze on part of my extraction as it looks to have some dark clumps. But once I've got it all clean I may well begin the way you suggest.

I also have a few mushrooms left and had read of lemon tek. So that too is another excellent suggestion. I think my system is a bit sideways thanks to IMRT years ago (aka the gift that keeps on giving).

Many thanks for your wisdom.

Dr-Daveman
#14 Posted : 10/28/2020 11:31:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Allegro Vivo wrote:
I also have a few mushrooms left and had read of lemon tek. So that too is another excellent suggestion. I think my system is a bit sideways thanks to IMRT years ago (aka the gift that keeps on giving).

No problem friend! And a word to the wise for safe venturing with lemon tek: I would recommend that your first time taking it you dose about 2/3 the quantity of mushrooms you are familiar with, as even that may bring you further than you anticipated. It is a rapidly immersive experience with a high peak, but IME about 60-90 minutes shorter in duration (I was able to study 4 hours after taking it with 6.5g of B+... which truthfully was a dosing mistake as I was judging the potency of my batch based on aborts [don't do that lol]. At 30 minutes post-ingestion the shocking and familiar mantra of "OHHH FUCK, I did too much!" was in full swing hahaha).

It's a very colorful, and at times, an intense method of ingestion. I actually think I prefer it myself, especially in the setting of a very busy professional life. Still shares all the same love and wisdom!

Good luck with your recrystalization as well, and as always, safe travels!

Loveall
#15 Posted : 11/1/2020 8:09:46 PM

❤️‍🔥

Dr-Daveman wrote:
Questions:
1) DG's post showed the mescaline sulfate water solution producing an emulsion when pulling from NP. Does this always happen? (It seems that HCl does not have this issue, at least I have not read about that)

2) I am kind of an anti-filter type of person after having done a DMT extraction. After freeze precipitation, some of the crystals were inevitably lost in the filter itself as the ambient temperature warmed the NP solvent, redissolving the crystals into the filter Crying or very sad . Also, I didn't really like scraping the filter since it inevitably scraped some paper product with it off of the filter (this was more of an issue when vaporizing DMT leading to... unexpected firey explosions Shocked hahaha. This would certainly be less of an issue when ingesting mescaline sulfate orally). To circumvent this issue with DMT, I ended up just quickly decanting the NP from my jars and rapidly evaporating off the lingering solvent with a fan, leaving very nice DMT crystals in the jar which were easily scraped up with a blade.

All of that to build up to this question: is it possible to bypass the coffee filter method when separating the mescaline sulfate crystals from the acetone solution somehow?

Some ideas to circumvent this:
- Pipetting off acetone from mescaline sulfate water while in an icebath.

- Or, is it possible to get a solid ice to form with mescaline sulfate crystals during freeze precipitation, separate the acetone by quickly decanting the liquid acetone from the ice containing mescaline sulfate, then letting that ice warm and evaporate, leaving pure mescaline sulfate crystals behind in a glass dish?

So you filtered freebase DMT? I've never tried that but would imagine it wouldn't work very well since the solvent could warm up in the filter and wash some product off and/or infuse it into the filter. Decanting works well for DMT FB because the xstals are heavy/sticky on the glass.

I haven't seen major issues filtering mescaline sulfate if it is being difficult decanting.

1) I have not had emulsion problems. Typically I do cacti + NaOH -> Limonene -> sulfuric (pH 6-7) -> reduce/acetone crystalization/filter/acetone wash/dissolve H2O/ slow evap
2) Sulfate xtals are hard to decant for me. Since they are a salt they will be easy to dissolve in warm water even if they stick to the filter and then evap that (don't scrape filter, etc).
3) If you have better decanting skills than me yeah. Also adding the acetone carefully till just cloudy and cooling slowly to form bigger xtals could help a lot.

You won't be able to separate the acetone by freezing (it will tend to freeze together or not freeze at all). Some (but few) of impurities are in the water/acetone so you want to decant or filter them off.

Good luck.

doubledog
#16 Posted : 11/1/2020 8:59:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have never experienced emulsion with sulphuric acid when pulling from NPS. But NPS have to be clean, I recommend to dry it before salting by adding few grams of dry NaOH or KOH, mixing well and filtering through cotton.

Filtering mescaline sulphate crystals from acetone-water crystalization solution could be easily done by using a small funnel with cotton ball in it.

(filter and keep acetone solution and use it in next round of recrystalization)

Wash solid crystals in funnel with cold acetone or isopropanol, add these washings to filtered liquid.

Dissolve crystals of mescaline sulphate in the funnel with small amount of hot water (now it goes through, so collect the water), wash cotton filter twice with fresh hot water.

Use small volumes of liquid, just dozens of mililiters is enough.

Evaporate water to crystals (no residual sulphuric acid is present) or do another rex just with water.

Dr-Daveman
#17 Posted : 11/2/2020 4:58:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

doubledog wrote:
Filtering mescaline sulphate crystals from acetone-water crystalization solution could be easily done by using a small funnel with cotton ball in it.

(filter and keep acetone solution and use it in next round of recrystalization)

Wash solid crystals in funnel with cold acetone or isopropanol, add these washings to filtered liquid.

Dissolve crystals of mescaline sulphate in the funnel with small amount of hot water (now it goes through, so collect the water), wash cotton filter twice with fresh hot water.

Use small volumes of liquid, just dozens of mililiters is enough.

Evaporate water to crystals (no residual sulphuric acid is present) or do another rex just with water.

Hey there! Thanks for your response, I'll have to try this sulfuric acid technique sometime, but I ended up purchasing HCl for now as it seemed to be a favorite for many.

The "SWIMS Psychedelic Cookbook" technique describes doing something similarly. He is using HCl, and thus his acetone is anhydrous. Would there be severe losses of Mescaline HCl with this funnel technique during filtration with acetone? I know acetone is very volatile, so I anticipate that it won't stay anhydrous for long after removing from a freezer, potentially dissolving the mescaline and pulling it along with the impurities.

One other thing I have been having a hard time finding out about, perhaps you have experience with this. With dried cactus STB extraction, is there any difference in the propensity for emulsion formation based on what parts of the cactus are used? Particularly using the whole cactus vs parenchymal tissue only (despined, decored, deskinned)? Or is that just an issue with fresh cactus tea --> STB extraction?

Since this is my first go at it, I ventured on the safe side to minimize possibility for complication and isolated parenchymal tissue. But damn! That was a pretty involved process to remove all those parts hahaha.

doubledog
#18 Posted : 11/2/2020 10:33:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have no experience with HCL, but would say that acetone can not absorb any substantial amount of water from air during few seconds. So this cleansing technique for HCL salt of mescaline should be ok, losses would be minimal.

IME emulsions are mainly caused by not properly based cactus plant matter, especially mucilage in presence of cactus solids. If you use STB, which means everything from cactus body is there, you have to use lot of base and wait some time for proper basing. No need for sorting of tissue types, use everything.

When working with cactus tea, it can not be STB - tea is acidic extract, that means it's A/B.

Use STB when you are fine with working with high amount of basic slurry, use A/B when you want to work with smaller amount of material.

Dr-Daveman
#19 Posted : 11/6/2020 11:04:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

doubledog wrote:
I have no experience with HCL, but would say that acetone can not absorb any substantial amount of water from air during few seconds. So this cleansing technique for HCL salt of mescaline should be ok, losses would be minimal.

IME emulsions are mainly caused by not properly based cactus plant matter, especially mucilage in presence of cactus solids. If you use STB, which means everything from cactus body is there, you have to use lot of base and wait some time for proper basing. No need for sorting of tissue types, use everything.

When working with cactus tea, it can not be STB - tea is acidic extract, that means it's A/B.

Use STB when you are fine with working with high amount of basic slurry, use A/B when you want to work with smaller amount of material.

OK, great. Thank you for your response, that helps a lot. For an A/B type of extraction, Heavenlypursuit's protocol caught my attention as it eliminates the presence of any fibrous cactus materials present by the time the concentrated solution is added to base. Perhaps I will give this one a go in the future.