We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
How long evaporate 1 liter heptane takes ? Options

girche
#1 Posted : 10/20/2020 7:28:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello Nexus Smile
I'm a newbie in extraction and last night i pulled 1 liter heptane from 700 ml solution(100 gram mimosa hostilis)
I think i used larg amount of solvent ..
Now i want to evaporate heptane and then doing freezing part..
so now i dunno how long time needed to evaporate heptane in room temp..does heptane evaporate in room temp by itself ? or i got to put a fan on it ?(if both is ok how long takes to evaporate by both?) please let me know what is the best action i can do now !
i want to have pure crystal for vaping..
BTW i have heard i can evaporate all the solvent in room and No freezing !!! so what is the advantage of freezing ? please let me know

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 10/20/2020 9:30:20 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Hello and welcome to the Nexus!
Amazing to see someone from Afghanistan logging in here.

That was a huge excess of heptane to use for 100g bark and 700mL solution!! Proper newbie level stuff Laughing

There is no need to evaporate 1 litre of heptane!

Firstly, it is incredibly wasteful.
Secondly, it's a huge fire or even explosion hazard (because the fact that you have to ask this question indicates a level of inexperience which may well include a lack of safety awareness).
Thirdly, you would be polluting your local environment.
Fourthly, you would be denying yourself the possibility of re-using the solvent.
Fifthly, the product from freeze precipitation is much purer than that from evaporation, typically.
And sixth, in relation to the last, evaporation inevitably leads to some dust landing in the container.

To recover DMT from an excessively large volume of non-polar solvent, one may use a procedure known as the mini A/B.
This involves washing the solvent (i.e. heptane) with multiple small (or small enough) volumes of dilute acetic acid (diluted white vinegar, for example).

The combined vinegar washes are then made alkaline with a sufficient quantity of base. This may be sufficient to precipitate curds of DMT which will harden in the refrigerator. These can then be filtered out - especially, perhaps, if you don't have a freezer.
Alternatively, or additionally, you may choose to recover the DMT with small volumes of the previously washed heptane which may then be combined and placed into the freezer (in a closed container) for freeze precipitation.

Before using it to recover the DMT, you may want to clean up the heptane with a spoonful of anhydrous sodium carbonate after the vinegar wash. This removes traces of vinegar from the solvent. This is not absolutely necessary, as there should be an excess of base in the aqueous solution.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

girche
#3 Posted : 10/20/2020 10:19:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello brother Smile
Thanks for your information
So for next extractions what i got to do ? i mean i will use less Heptane(the same as teks in this website)and then "do i got to evaporate my solvent till whole dmt SATURATED and then go to freezer ? or just a little evaporate is enough ?

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 10/20/2020 7:33:13 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

If you use a bare minimum of heptane and a warm water bath (no naked flames or sparks!) you should be able to get it reasonably saturated without a great deal of evaporation - only that which occurs because of the warmth.

The use of simple alkane hydrocarbons such as heptane in this extraction is intended to exploit the temperature/solubilty curve - so it's beneficial to use it to your advantage.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

forwardtoinfinity
#5 Posted : 10/22/2020 7:05:19 PM

Novice HyperPilot

To put downwardsfromzero's method into other words, you do an extraction from your saturated solvent with vinegar pulls, then you make the vinegar basic like with the bark originally, then pull again with your warm solvent. This makes it easier for smaller amounts of solvent to be used, since you usually have less fluid and less other stuff in there.

So, you add a bit of vinegar (normal white 3% cooking stuff) to your saturated heptane. The vinegar will take goodies from the solvent. Like usual, mix them, let sit. The more you do this the more will go into the vinegar, to a point. Take away the vinegar (glass pipette/turkey baster, it'll be at the bottom so tougher to get), save it in another vessel.
Repeat the vinegar pulls maybe 3-4 times, depending on how much you use each time.

Make the combined vinegar pulls basic using lye. I like to mix lye and water in a separate container, making it super basic, then adding that liquid slowly to the vinegar. Usually, since you don't have bark and dark sludge in there, you can see the DMT come out, so by slowly adding lye water you know when you've added enough.

Now you can warm a bit of solvent (definitely can use some of the heptane that you washed with vinegar, as df0 said be careful warming it), add it to the basic liquid, twirl/roll to mix, let separate, and pull like a normal extraction. Since ~1g of DMT can be taken by ~30mL of heptane, you shouldn't need much at all. I would try 3 pulls of 20-25mL. I would slowly warm your basic solution as well in a warm water bath, but again be careful, glassware doesn't like large temperature changes.

Add all solvent pulls together into a glass dish, cover it, put it in the freezer for a day or so. Hopefully then you'll have crystals at the bottom of the dish. Usually you can quickly pour off the liquid without disturbing those, but pour through a coffee filter to catch any. Air dry the dish thoroughly, scrape, enjoy.

As df0's last post said, the temperature while pulling is critical to using the least amount of heptane, since when warm it will hold a lot more goodies. This is why when you put your pulls in the freezer, it gets too cold to hold all that it did before when it was warm, so it will fall out onto your dish. Good luck!