We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Advice for analyzing histamine levels in food and drinks Options

VibeSurfer
#1 Posted : 9/26/2020 7:31:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This doesn't have anything to do with psychedelics but I believe this is the best place I know of to make such an inquiry. I am interested in testing histamine levels in various foods and drinks/liquids both in general and over time. For example, histamine levels in meat can be drastically higher after refrigeration even though it hasn't gone bad yet. Even after meat is cooked, histamine levels will still increase in leftovers put in the fridge before it goes bad. Now, I am perfectly aware that lots of research has already been done, but mostly any information about histamine levels that can be found on the internet simply refer to whether food/drink X is high or low in histamine without any information about comparative values or numbers. Any information I find simply states conclusions without sources or scientific papers backing things up that I could check for reference. I also don't know if these conclusions just came from testing histamine levels in blood from a human before and after consuming something with histamine. In my experience, reading research papers is more about browsing to see if anything interesting comes up that one would want to think about. I don't know of a way to run a search on papers in a certain field of study where researchers might have already explored experiments I want to conduct. I also just don't imagine the specific hypotheses I want to test would have ever been considered worthy of exploration by researchers in the field. Additionally, often times one has to pay a decent chunk to access research papers of a higher quality or from a highly reputable journal. I don't really want to pay for things that I know I won't be able to read or understand very well due to the focus of the paper being somewhere else even if it has information that is useful to me.

I would be ready to commit a significant amount of time to learning and using any method that could hep me here, so if anyone would shed some light I'd greatly appreciate it. The main reason I am curious to observe values such as these is because I have recently become aware that I likely have a dysfunctional Diamine Oxidase enzyme in my stomach. This condition is generally referred to as histamine intolerance, but it is extremely new and unresearched. After stumbling across this revelation, I cut out marijuana, alcohol, and basically all the food I previously shopped for at my grocery store from my diet. I switched up all my food preparation and storage systems in accordance with keeping histamine as low as possible and my life is really turning around now. So that's why I ask.

Very happy

"It was altruism, not violence or force, which associated our higher cortex. Our intent is to awaken that memory." - Indigo

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 9/26/2020 10:01:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey!

Here's how I would do:

1- Go to scholar.google.com

2- Insert apropriate keywords in search function, try a few different variations (for example I just tried "tyramine content food storage"

3- Find something that looks like it could have the information you want (for example third hit says "The effect of ripening and storage conditions on the distribution of tyramine, putrescine and cadaverine in Edam-cheese"

4- Click the paper and see if abstract is enough information for you. If not, or if you anyways want to delve further into the paper then:

5- Go to https://sci-hub.st/ (if this link is dead, google "sci-hub mirrors" or similar). In the search field paste the full address of the paper you clicked in google scholar (for example https://www.sciencedirec...bs/pii/S0740002010000882 ) . Read the paper and learn more.

6- Bake a cake

7- Enjoy life.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 9/26/2020 10:01:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey!

Here's how I would do:

1- Go to scholar.google.com

2- Insert apropriate keywords in search function, try a few different variations (for example I just tried "tyramine content food storage"

3- Find something that looks like it could have the information you want (for example third hit says "The effect of ripening and storage conditions on the distribution of tyramine, putrescine and cadaverine in Edam-cheese"

4- Click the paper and see if abstract is enough information for you. If not, or if you anyways want to delve further into the paper then:

5- Go to https://sci-hub.st/ (if this link is dead, google "sci-hub mirrors" or similar). In the search field paste the full address of the paper you clicked in google scholar (for example https://www.sciencedirec...bs/pii/S0740002010000882 ) . This should give you full access to the paper without having to pay anything. Read the paper and learn more.

6- Bake a cake

7- Enjoy life.

VibeSurfer
#4 Posted : 9/26/2020 6:14:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for this, endlessness! That is a great process and I appreciate you sharing it with me. I hope you are enjoying life today as well, and I was not thinking that cake would be low in histamine either before you mentioned it Big grin
"It was altruism, not violence or force, which associated our higher cortex. Our intent is to awaken that memory." - Indigo