We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
POLL: Favorite psychedelic figure and why Options

Blazon
#21 Posted : 9/10/2020 8:48:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

.[/quote]
Also a huge fan of Paul Stamets, his new documentary Fantastic Fungi was amazing. Tons of cool science presented in there. [/quote]

I second that,happily paid a fiver to watch it

For me it is Albert Hoffman

EDIT: why he continued to explore his 'problem child' all his life,like how he self experimented

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

AwearyGhost
#22 Posted : 9/10/2020 9:44:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Baba Ram Dass! Once he was fired from Harvard; he traveled to India & studied under his guru Neem Keroli Baba. Then came back to the US & was speaking for years. He continually shed the same story of love & being in the moment.
I was going to meet him last winter, but he had passed away a month before I had purchased plane tickets to Maui where he was preparing to die! I highly recommend listening to his lectures & reading his works!

Quote:
Dass was personally and professionally associated with Timothy Leary at Harvard University in the early 1960s. Then known as Richard Alpert, he conducted research with Leary on the therapeutic effects of psychedelic drugs. In addition, Alpert assisted Harvard Divinity School graduate student Walter Pahnke in his 1962 "Good Friday Experiment" with theology students, the first controlled, double-blind study of drugs and the mystical experience.[4][5] While not illegal at the time, their research was controversial and led to Leary and Alpert's dismissal from Harvard in 1963.

Love Serve Remember Foundation
ॐ remember we are loving awareness ॐ

Psyzsee
#23 Posted : 9/13/2020 1:25:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

For me it was learning about maria sabina, before her i was introduced to all of this as there are many posts of books don Juan series not sure if this counts as modern history in this topic before that i had a different ideas of what a phsycedelic is

Shizballs
#24 Posted : 9/13/2020 4:59:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I have to add some others. For science, I am a huge fan of Professor David Nutt for being so astute and yet so brazen about drug propaganda. Example here.

As well, his paper comparing serotoneric neurotransmission in psychedelics vs other treatments for depression like anti-depressants was similarly savage in the most astute way. "For the brave new psychiatry of the future – that many would like to see – decisions about whether to passively endure or actively address [mental illness], may become increasingly pertinent."

Also, a big shoutout to Gabor Maté for all of his outstanding work. A true psychedelic heavyweight. All of his talks and books are worthwhile.

Kyngwhatt
#25 Posted : 9/13/2020 5:16:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Terence mckenna is my personal favorite. mckenna audio exposed me to the idea of hyperspace and the entities that inhabit it. I know he was wrong about a lot of things but everything he said about the entities and transcendental objects came true for me.
The drug had completely altered their fundamental concept of reality

PsillyPsimon
#26 Posted : 9/22/2020 6:31:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Terence is also my favourite. I just love to listen to him ramble on about mushrooms. He has a gift of the gab for sure, and somehow he helps me to forget about all my problems. I have a copy of True Hallucinations signed by Terence and it is one of my prized possessions. Would anyone care to see a scan of the title page with Terence's signature?

I also love Tim. Listening to his boundless enthusiasm really gives me a lift. I can forgive him for shooting our cause in the foot somewhat.

Where would we be without Albert? His invention brought psychedelics to the forefront of the collective Western mind, although that was surely never his intention. If it weren't for LSD, how many here in this forum would have ever even heard of psychedelics?

Then there is our beloved Aldous whose writings have stimulated the minds of many a tripper. His book "Brave New World" is one of the foremost dystopian novels. He died the same day as another great man whom I muchly admire, he being Jack Kennedy.

PREV12